View Full Version : Two good days on the Hiwassee

01-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Headed down to the cabin this past weekend and was able to get on the Hiwassee for two great days of fishing. Apparently due to a considerable amount of rainfall (observed lots of standing water in fields) they have been constantly running two generators to keep the reservoirs at winter pool level. Day one, the morning was cold, 37 degrees when I arrived at the river to fish below the powerhouse. I have been hearing of sporadic shad kills so I thought I would start there and work a white woolly bugger. I tied on a cone head with 3 split shot as the 2800 CFM flow was immense and I wanted this to sink down as much as possible before the final swing and when I would start stripping it back. My first cast I got a bump, so things looked promising. Second cast I got nice hit, I set the hook and the fight was on and this definitely was a nice size fish. As the fight ensued, I was sure this was going to be the best trout that I have pulled in on the Hiwassee, instead it turned out to be the nicest Bass....guess they like the shad too! I continued working the woolly bugger and had a couple more bumps and then got another nice hit and this time it was a big fat female rainbow. I worked downstream a little and caught two very nice males with absolute gorgeous color!!! Lost an enormous female, was having difficulty getting it in the net and started to lift it up with the fish not completely in the net, lost the hook set and she was gone. Did catch a good number of fish in the 10 -12 inch range during the outing as well. Day two, I drifted the river from the put-in about a ˝ mile below the powerhouse and floated down to Towee Creek, during the 4 hours of fishing, brought to hand over twenty fish. Again caught a couple of these dark red males, these are awesome looking fish and I can only hope with that some of these miss the creel basket when the DH is lifted in March. Did not see much Shad either day but did witness crows flying around and every now and then one would swoop down and grab a dead Shad as it was floating by.

01-08-2013, 06:05 AM

01-08-2013, 06:08 AM

01-08-2013, 06:12 AM

01-08-2013, 06:15 AM

01-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Wow. Bellies full of shad. Nice fish

01-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Wow - put those trout on jenny craig!

Nice fish - Thanks for sharing

01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks for sharing. You really caught some pigs:eek:

01-09-2013, 06:52 AM

ThankYou for the post and keep them coming. I must get back out there a.s.a.p.!!!

Hope to meet you on the water.


The Gubna
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Those are great looking fish! The two with the distinct red coloration look quite different from the rainbows I usually see on the river. I tried looking closely at the tail-fin, but can't quite get a read on it. Regardless, those are beautiful fish!
For the first time in a number of years, there are a large number of quality fish coming out of the HI. Let's hope that continues.

David Knapp
01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Those are some really nice fish!!! Congrats on a good outing. I miss fishing that river each winter. There are some really good hatches and great fishing in the cold months...

01-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks all for the compliments. In the 15 years I have fished on the Hiwassee, I have to say this outing was the best that I've had. Breck, would be nice to have an opportunity to meet you down on the Hiwassee. I will be returning the weekend of the 18th hopefully for more of the same action; If you are down there that weekend, we should plan on meeting. The Gubna, I follow you on the coloration, this was the first time I have caught any rainbows on the Hi with the deep red in them. On the 2nd day of fishing, I floated with Mark Scarborough of Southeastern Anglers and I happened to get into two more of these dark red fish while I was with him. Mark informed me that these dark red fish where raised at the Tellico Hatchery, not the Dale Hollow Hatchery where the fish normally are raised for the Hiwassee stockings. He told me that the tanks were under repair and for that reason; some of the fish that were stocked came from Tellico. If I remember correctly, Mark said the coloration was significant to the fact they were raised at the Tellico Hatchery along with the hypro food they were fed while at this particular hatchery. I will shoot Mark an e-mail to make sure I translated that correctly, If not I will amend my statement based on his response. I would also like to add that if any is looking to float the Hiwassee and does not have a means to do this, Mark Scarborough of Southeastern Anglers is an excellent person to contract. I hope soliciting for him is not against forum protocol, my sincere apologies if it is.

02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
My son and I decided to head down to the cabin for the weekend despite the fact the Hiwassee is blown out and just head up to the Tellico to do some fishing. I actually fished very little as I opted to work with my son as he is relatively new to fly fishing and we had to fish some tight quarter area above the North River due to all the kayaks on the water Saturday. I had my son using a weighted size 8 olive wooly bugger, just letting it drift and bouncing it off the bottom of the stream. The tight quarter casting was challenging for him, I showed him how to do the sling shot technique, he got this down fairly well and was making some nice casts. Fishing was relatively slow, just as he said to me, “I have not even had as much as a bump” and then bang, he hooked and was fighting a nice Rainbow. I realized that I left my phone/camera back in the car, I ran back to get it and just as he was lifting the fish for the photo (it was a legitimate 14” fish), it wiggled hard, he fumbled it and that is all she wrote…..gondi!!! We hung out there for a little while longer, had a few other strikes but nothing else to hand; since we were both cold we decided to call it a day and head back to the cabin. The next morning my son was still fired up from catching that nice rainbow on our outing to the Tellico. He wanted to fish some more before heading home but I really did not want to make the drive back up to the Tellico so I decided to take him and the pooch down to the powerhouse on the Hiwassee. Like all other tailwaters at this time, they were dumping water and generating at the same time. I personally have never seen that much water coming down the river, it was off color and the wall at the powerhouse was a good foot underwater, about a 2 foot difference from the last time I was there. The fast flowing water coupled with a strong wind whipping along the river corridor made conditions tuff. I had him working the seam along the generation water and the heavy flow coming down the river using a white wooly bugger. On his third cast as he was working that seam, he hooked and landed a nice 12-1/2” brown. He had several other hook-ups, but with that heavy volume of water, made it very difficult to keep them on. One fish he had hooked, broke the water and it was a big fat rainbow in the 14-16” range, unfortunately he was not able to keep it hooked. Overall in the short time we were at the powerhouse, he caught the brown and had 3 LDR’s, not a bad morning, he got his appetite tamed and we were able to head home with some good memories.


02-11-2013, 09:21 PM