PDA

View Full Version : Clinch 3/9/2013

stevee71
03-09-2013, 08:55 PM
The Clinch fished well today. I could only fish for a few hours due to family commitments. I arrived around 2:00 and fished until 5:00. I caught 10-12 stockers that were in the 8 to 10 inch range. I caught a beautiful rainbow in the 14-16 inch range and had a big fish get off on me. I guess I do not know how to post pics or I would post the only pic I took.

MadisonBoats
03-10-2013, 09:07 AM
It was a beautiful day. I was surprised to see so many cased caddis flies crawing around. Also; saw some sulphurs hatching occasionally...I outlined in "yellow" the caddis in the picture to help clarify its profile.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/483706_387321051366472_1202625531_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/577854_387321031366474_752298164_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/481062_387321014699809_1502887701_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/484951_387320904699820_951567778_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/480481_387321001366477_1381801556_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/6547_387321008033143_730570577_n.jpg

stevee71
03-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Yes it was an awesome day. I saw several sulphurs hatching late in the day. I am fairly new so thanks for showing me the hathes to look for.

silvercreek
03-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Stevee, under the section of "website and message board" there is a "sticky" from Paula that gives directions on posting pics.

JoeFred
03-10-2013, 01:30 PM
It was a beautiful day. I was surprised to see so many cased caddis flies crawing around. Also; saw some sulphurs hatching occasionally...I outlined in "yellow" the caddis in the picture to help clarify its profile.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/483706_387321051366472_1202625531_n.jpg

Great, informative photos, Shawn. Thanks. It's cool you were able to do the body outline of the still very much alive caddis without disturbing it or the stream bed. I couldn't resist, friend. :smile:

stevee71
03-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Stevee, under the section of "website and message board" there is a "sticky" from Paula that gives directions on posting pics.

Thanks I thought I could upload from my Ipad but I guess I cannot.:smile:

Redfish62
03-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Nice day hoping to get on the clinch next weekend

waterwolf
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Shawn nice pics and it looks like the didymo had a good winter :frown:

stevee71
03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Waterwolf I owe you a big thank you. I have been using a midge pattern you disclosed on this site several years ago and I catch fish every time I go. I had 3-4 others around me and they did not catch near the fish a I did.

waterwolf
03-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Waterwolf I owe you a big thank you. I have been using a midge pattern you disclosed on this site several years ago and I catch fish every time I go. I had 3-4 others around me and they did not catch near the fish a I did.

Shhhhh, keep that talk to a minimum. We don't want anyone getting the idea I'm not the biggest jerk on the river :biggrin:

Glad it's working well for you and hope fishing continues to stay productive a well

MadisonBoats
03-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Shhhhh, keep that talk to a minimum. We don't want anyone getting the idea I'm not the biggest jerk on the river :biggrin:

Glad it's working well for you and hope fishing continues to stay productive a well

Seems to be a phase of long ago...I like the new waterwolf.:biggrin:

Dan the Fly Man
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM

I don't want to step on any toes, but in the sense of paying it forward, could I possibly get some pattern (or any other) advice for future reference?

Relatively speaking I'm a clinch (and fly fishing) newbie but generally have moderate success there throwing zebras & PTs in the 18-20 range. I was there Saturday but personally found the action to be a little slow...

If you don't want to disclose any specific hints for fishing the clinch I understand but I'll take any help I can to get for more fish in my net.

Thanks!

Dan

stevee71
03-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Dan
I am fairly new as well I started fly fishing in 2010 but due to purchasing a new home and family commitments I have fished very little the last few years.

When I first started I did not catch many fish at all either so I came to this board and read it almost daily. The guys on here give great advice and are experts on fishing the Clinch.

I think the thing that helped me the most was switching to a floucarbon tippet in 6x. I use the same size midges and BHPT that you are using. I look for the fish that are feeding and fish that area until I catch one. I switch patterns if I do not catch anyhting after around 10-15 cast.

I will give you the color but only with the blessing of WW since I got it from him. If he says it is okay I will email it to you.

Rodonthefly
03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
There are no real secrets to fishing the Clinch, I grew up fishing this behind Wolf. Two flys is all a man really needs out there. Bead Head Pts and midges. Yes everyone knows about the zebra midges.

Try this out for a midge, black tungsent bead, with a olive V rib for a body. I tie and fish them also in black. you can put a little dubbing behind the bead if you wish, sometimes it makes a difference other times it doesn't matter.
Floro is a must and tungsten is worth the extra price.

stevee71
03-11-2013, 12:24 PM
There are no real secrets to fishing the Clinch, I grew up fishing this behind Wolf. Two flys is all a man really needs out there. Bead Head Pts and midges. Yes everyone knows about the zebra midges.

Try this out for a midge, black tungsent bead, with a olive V rib for a body. I tie and fish them also in black. you can put a little dubbing behind the bead if you wish, sometimes it makes a difference other times it doesn't matter.
Floro is a must and tungsten is worth the extra price.

This olive midge with a black bead is what I use and I purchase them from LRO. I do not think you can get this pattern at Clinch River Outfitters.

Here is the link to a great discussion on midges.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13658

Dan the Fly Man
03-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the help!

Do you guys normally use a dry-dropper or double/single nymph with a strike indicator or what? I'm also curious how successful people are fishing top water.

stevee71
03-12-2013, 06:35 AM
I use a single fly with a strike indicator.

Corbo
03-12-2013, 06:49 AM
I can attest to the light OLIVE zebra midge effectiveness; last summer I threw everything midge at the fish and could barely buy a strike; meanwhile Beto was fishing a light olive zebra, tung bead with silver rib, and he consistantly hooked-up.

At the time I did not have this particular color; I do now.

A QUESTION THOUGH.... Have any of you guys tried throwing a size 16 BH zebra?

Typically I throw them in 20 and 22..... but wonder if the fish might go for a larger representation? I have a devil of a time handling the hooks, beads and finished flies much less getting them tied on to the point with old eyes and fingers.

On "Speculation" I have tied up a bunch in size 16 and will also do size 18 with the hope that "going large" might work out.

No Hackle
03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
I mainly fish size 16 and 18 Corbo. When the black flies are out then I might drop to some 20's. IMO below a twenty-two you loose some holding power. On my 20's and below I off set the point with the shank.
Lynn

cockeye valdez
03-12-2013, 02:50 PM
I have tied and fished several black fly patterns. I have not found one that is better than all the others. The one I usually go to is #22-#22 black thread with a very small amount of short white hair for the wing, usually the tail makes no difference.
Does anyone have a go to black fly pattern ?
c.v.

Corbo
03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
It seems that on the Clinch that when it's not SULPHUR SEASON and nothing is on top for the most part the typical "strategy" is a size 20 or smaller Zebra Midge in black, red, tan or light olive/green.... or perhaps a size 20 midge dry fly.

I once fished the "conga line" in the weir pool in the early morning to see what it is all about and near everyone was repeatedly short casting with a zebra under an indicator.

Short of throwing streamers there must be something that would reliably induce a strike.... meaning an alternative food item like a scud or sculpin or perhaps just throw a larger nymph and hope to get lucky?

I will try the 16's and 18 and see what happens; thanks.

MadisonBoats
03-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Great, informative photos, Shawn. Thanks. It's cool you were able to do the body outline of the still very much alive caddis without disturbing it or the stream bed. I couldn't resist, friend. :smile:

It was an educational sacrifice.:biggrin: That caddis probably needed to upgrade his house at the time anyway. I was very surprised to see so many crawling around in the shallows.

I typically see the smaller black caddis on the upper end of the river. But; I do not usually see/notice the larger caddis in this quantity.

billj
03-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Here is my go to black fly pattern. Size 22 hook, white thread body, black fluorofibre or super hair rib, dun snowshoe hare wing and trico dubbing head. Been very successful on both the Clinch and South Holston when the fish are on black flies. Floats great, can be twitched or skated, is durable and very visible when coated with Frogs Fanny. Really been a great fly for me...
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=762

cockeye valdez
03-13-2013, 01:29 PM
that is a good looking bug, is that a long, curved shank hook ?

billj
03-13-2013, 07:22 PM
No, it's just a 305 dai- riki, it's a regular dry fly hook sized like a mustard 94840.
I had the fly angled so you can see the body. The body on an adult fly is pretty fat but I haven't found that it made much difference how you tie them. I think the big head is the trigger. Size 22 seems to be the sweet spot but I've tied them bigger and smaller. Works for me like nothing else and doesn't look like anything I've seen others tie although I'm sure others do well with different patterns. Thanks for the kind words.

cockeye valdez
03-14-2013, 08:49 AM
I may have to substitute the snowshoe hare's ear with c.d.c. Have you ever tried that ?
c.v.

billj
03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm sure it would work, I use snowshoe hair intentionally on this pattern though, I think it maintains floatability better...I use cdc on a lot of my other patterns but this one really catches a lot of fish and I think it resists being slimed much better. There are times when I really don't like the maintenance Cdc needs. Black flies hatch in cloudy rainy weather a lot
and snowshoe holds up to rain better. It is also really translucent and that may play a part in its effectiveness. Snow shoe and Cdc each have their own attributes and there are some patterns that work better for me with one or the other Part of the reason I like tying flies is really refining a pattern until it does what I want it to do. You ought to try to get some snowshoe hare; I like em both!

Corbo
03-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Lynn;

I like your idea about "offsetting the point to the hook shank"; oddly I bought some size 16 and 18 "scud" sttle hooks recently that all had off set hook points and I have been STRAIGHTENING them! DUH!

MY "NEW" ZEBRA MIDGE RECIPE..... for anyone that wishes to tie a few.

Size 16 and smaller use regular zebra style hook with bead of choice. Black thread or whatever.

Take three or four different colored strands of KRYSTAL FLASH and tie in at rear. advance thread to head, spin the Krystal into a rope.

Secure "rope" with rotary hackle pliers so it does not unwind and wrap the body, (no need to make a tapered base layer with tying thread; just taper it with the rope.

Secure Krystal rope behind head with whip tool then coat body with Sallly Hansen high build nail polish and then spin on a little ICE DUB collar in black, olive brown, peacock or orange/rust.

The body looks incredibly VARIEGATED (spelling?) with multiple color flecks and I feel certain it will be more appealing to more fish....

OR IT MIGHT BE A TOTAL BUST.... but I don't think so.

Sorry gang but I had a brain injury in 2004 and now think more like a brown trout than a human.