PDA

View Full Version : one fly challange

surfdog
05-20-2013, 07:57 PM
tying up flys for my 7 days in the park next month [june 14 - 21] and wondering what the experienced GSMNP guy would use if they could only bring 1 fly to fish, dry,nymph? I know there are tournaments in the fla keys where you can only have 1 fly, what would that be for gsmnp?

Denver1911
05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
I'd take a #14 Thunderhead, but would not feel at all disadvantaged by a #12 or #14 bushy brown or gray dry fly by any name.

NDuncan
05-20-2013, 08:18 PM
This time of year, for me I would go with a #14 yellow neversink.

Dukejb
05-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I would go with a yellow parachute adams or maybe an adams variant for higher elevations.

David Knapp
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
#14 Tellico nymph...

Grannyknot
05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
I would probably take a tellico nymph as well.

buzzmcmanus
05-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Size 14, yellowish elk hair caddis fly. I fish it 90% of the time. Spring, summer, fall and winter. The dubbing on it is some synthetic stuff I picked up at LRO to tie October caddis' with, but once tied they look like a sparkling yellow color. I personally don't tie very well, so I just keep my fly in the seam with the rough water and only fool the dumbest fish.

BlueRaiderFan
05-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Beah head pheasant tail nymph...across and down stream.

swamp
05-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Tellico nymph unweighted

The Principal
05-22-2013, 09:48 PM
I also vote for the yellow parachute adams.

flyred06
05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
#14 Tellico nymph...

If this man says tellico then don't carry anything else. personally i fish a size 14 para adams but I am not david knapp either.

HuskerFlyFisher
05-22-2013, 10:44 PM
#14 yellow or white Elk Hair Caddis with an 18 inch dropper rig of name-your-beadhead.

ChemEAngler
05-23-2013, 01:07 PM
If this man says tellico then don't carry anything else. personally i fish a size 14 para adams but I am not david knapp either.

I agree! I hear of a tale where David Knapp caught 3 trout simultaneously on a single cast. The first one was by conventional means on a tellico nymph, the second was ripped from the water by the vacuum created from the hook set, and the third jumped out committing suicide. His fishing companion, Chuck Norris, now has a tattoo of David Knapp... :biggrin:

surfdog
05-23-2013, 05:03 PM
found the recipe and tying videos for the tellico, pretty simple. If David Knapp fish's it I need it in my box, I heard he steps in the water and the fish just swim into his net to aviod the pain of his hook set

bigsur
05-23-2013, 05:25 PM
When he drives down the Middle he just opens the car door and they walk from the creek and get in! :biggrin:

flyred06
05-23-2013, 07:12 PM
David knapp didn't invent flyfishing he just mastered it and made it what it is today. Fish fear the name knapp

Dances with Trout
05-30-2013, 12:05 PM
I gave this some thought and settled on a # 16 parachute march brown. With that said, I followed David Knapps advice and added some tellico nymphs to my fly box and was fishing one last evening as a dropper and caught my largest brown in the park, an 18" beauty. Sorry no pictures.

God Bless,
Dances with Trout

David Knapp
05-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Wow, I quit looking at this thread for a few days and things get out of control... :rolleyes: Seriously though, that fly catches fish including some nice ones. Glad it worked for you Dances with Trout!!!

surfdog
05-30-2013, 04:56 PM
having some fun with you david, seams you have become the william wallace of fly fishing in GSNP.

surfdog
05-30-2013, 07:19 PM
david , how do you tie the tellico? I've seen it now with a peacock hurl back or turkey back. the tail varies with different feather fibers as does the leg hackle , just wondering which recipe is the smokey version

NDuncan
05-30-2013, 08:29 PM
having some fun with you david, seams you have become the william wallace of fly fishing in GSNP.

Or the chuck Norris... Which I guess would make me the don knotts... I don't know what the heck I'm doing but somehow seems to work out!

flyred06
05-30-2013, 09:34 PM
David do you use the blackburn tellico or a traditional tellico?

David Knapp
05-30-2013, 11:36 PM
I tie mine more or less as a Blackburn Tellico. This is a great fly to experiment with. For example, try using some Thin Skin (mottled bustard) as the shellback when tying in the smaller sizes (#14 and down). Also, try different fibers for the tail and legs.

jross
05-31-2013, 09:09 PM
I've learned a lot from this board and this thread proves it. I was at Elkmont today and said to myself " i wish i had a tellico" and that was right after i tied buzz's suggestion...(dry/dropper)

o2bfishin
05-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Hey David, why not post the recipe you use and some pictures in the General Fly Tying Forum? Others can send in their versions, as well. While your at it, can you or someone else explain the difference between the Blackburn and traditional versions?

flyred06
06-01-2013, 12:39 PM
The main difference is the body color of yellow.

surfdog
06-01-2013, 07:36 PM
is that the floss color? what about the shell back ,the tail, the legs,color,material , sorry david , did not mean to make you uncomfortable with the "legend type reference" you post the best photo's and reports on this forum just wanted to have a little fun with you

David Knapp
06-01-2013, 08:12 PM
is that the floss color? what about the shell back ,the tail, the legs,color,material , sorry david , did not mean to make you uncomfortable with the "legend type reference" you post the best photo's and reports on this forum just wanted to have a little fun with you

No worries, I took it all in good fun and it gave me a good laugh... :cool: If I have time I will post more on this pattern later but it may be a few days as I am about to travel. Yep, it's summer break so I hope to be in the Park in a week or two to enjoy my old home waters...leave some fish in there for me guys!

ChemEAngler
06-01-2013, 11:20 PM
David,

I knew you would take it well, and I just couldn't help the Chuck Norris reference.... However, you know they say all rumors are built on some truth. Just saying! ;)

When are you going to be around? I tried to make reservations for the family in Elkmont for Father's Day weekend, and the online booking tool said it was booked up through mid-July. :eek: I was even trying for Thurs & Fri so as to avoid some of the crowds.

Getting back to the original topic, I remember fishing over in Cherokee with you one day and you were having very good success with a Tellico nymph. I tied one on, and didn't have much luck. Afterward, we compared flies and yours was significantly different. I need to look up the Blackburn style pattern and see what that looks like.

Float On
06-09-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a BH Prince. I had a lot of success with it last year and the majority of my catches this year have been with it.