PDA

View Full Version : Out of Hibernation - Bear Creek Reopened to Fishing

JoeFred
05-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Great news! Congratulations to the Fisheries staff and Little Chapter of TU and other volunteers who helped in the water and with their pocketbooks to make this happen.

It takes a good bit of time and effort to get there, but this looks like one of the better opportunities for a Smokies Grand Slam with very little water to have to cover.

http://www.smokystreams.com/mbpics/thread16865_pic1.jpg

As always, we need to report fishing regulations violators to the nearest ranger or to (865) 436-1294.

– JF

NDuncan
06-03-2013, 09:12 AM
This isn't totally new news... but it's interesting, nonetheless.

when I fished bear creek back in March, I found it to be small, tight conditions and the fishing to be active, but with smaller brookies than on other streams.

Also access to the stream is difficult, either you go in from the very bottom and then you really have no other option than to go back the way you came. The map itself doesn't do justice to how far above the stream the trail is until you get to the crossing much higher up.

The stream itself is pretty rhodo choked in most places.

If I were going for a slam, this isn't where I would focus my efforts, especially given the amount of time and energy it takes to get to this area.

Oldman
06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I agree, If you want the slam head futher upstream. Forney seems to be getting more pressure than it should or use to. Perhaps its the $50 boat trip fee to Hazel thats filling Forney up with fishermen. I dunno.

JoeFred
06-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Excellent points, NDuncan & Oldman.

NDuncan, just curious, when and how did you hear about the creek being open? I totally missed it the annoucement.

– JF

duckypaddler
06-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Excellent points, NDuncan & Oldman.

NDuncan, just curious, when and how did you hear about the creek being open? I totally missed it the annoucement.

JF

There wasn't as announcement, but someone changed the website, and it was no longer on closed list :biggrin: We interpreted that as open.

JoeFred
06-05-2013, 09:14 AM
I suspected that was the case. Given the Bear's inaccessibilty, etc., this restoration clearly does more for the brook trout than the angler, which I'm perfectly fine with.