PDA

View Full Version : Norris weir work suspended for a while

Joe Congleton
06-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Hope you enjoyed those mimium flows and that great fishing through the last several weeks. TVA has taken an intermission in the weir repair work that produced all those great fishing flows and now it will be heavy discharges for a while. Rumor From reliable source is that the weir work will resume but dates not clear for the resumption. It may be weekends only for any minimum flow until wier work resumes. hopefully by July. Expect Cherokee will be full bore releases as well since both lakes are brim full and the air conditioner season is upon us. Bigger issue with Cherokee trout fishery well being this year will be the water temp issues, as a lot of cold water storage inventory has been blown out in the last month while Cherokee ran full throttle to make up for power profuction lost due to the Norris repair work. The lower parts of the Holston already are feeling warmer.

ChemEAngler
06-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Hope you enjoyed those mimium flows and that great fishing through the last several weeks. TVA has taken an intermission in the weir repair work that produced all those great fishing flows and now it will be heavy discharges for a while. Rumor From reliable source is that the weir work will resume but dates not clear for the resumption. It may be weekends only for any minimum flow until wier work resumes. hopefully by July. Expect Cherokee will be full bore releases as well since both lakes are brim full and the air conditioner season is upon us. Bigger issue with Cherokee trout fishery well being this year will be the water temp issues, as a lot of cold water storage inventory has been blown out in the last month while Cherokee ran full throttle to make up for power profuction lost due to the Norris repair work. The lower parts of the Holston already are feeling warmer.

Any news on how all this rainfall will affect the Hiwassee? I have heard before that similar results can be seen there during years of high rainfall, but I haven't been down there in probably 5 years.

TylerG10
06-10-2013, 05:49 PM
That's not what I wanted to read. The past few weeks have been great!

Sandman
06-10-2013, 08:53 PM
I got caught in it today. I was fishing away and next thing I noticed I losing rocks all around me. I booked it outta there. I thought I would be spending the night on Miller's. I was sad to see the schedule being full midnight to midnight with 2 generators. Maybe the park will be my next stop.

waterwolf
06-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Those with ample time to fish have enjoyed the past few weeks, and a little break for the fish isn't a bad thing IMO. I have certainly noticed a decrease in their willingness to play my last two trips and a few weeks of high water will help make them amiable again hopefully.

Rockyraccoon
06-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Any news on how all this rainfall will affect the Hiwassee?

The Hiwassee is set to begin spilling tomorrow. Total release will be about 3000 cfs from the generators and 2000 from the spillway. The river might be stained for a day or so but water quality shouldn't be an issue.This flow will be unfishable for wading anglers....unless casting from the bank. Boaters will still do fine.

Hiwassee Dam is generating heavy and Apalachia will act like a weir by letting it all go whether by turbine or spillway. So I'm expecting the water over the spillway to still be fairly cool. It will blend at the powerhouse and should be just fine for a week or so.

Overall this will just be an inconvienance for wade fishermen on the Hiwassee.....and the Clinch too for that matter. But, Like Joe C feared,it could be a rough summer and harsh fall for the Cherokee tailwater.

MadisonBoats
06-11-2013, 06:32 AM
It comes and goes and timing is key. Well; being able to fish and not have to work, etc.:smile: The high lake level has been giving them fits all year and it is time to pay the bills. I am ready for the operating schedule to get back to normal.

cockeye valdez
06-11-2013, 08:25 AM
I was on the lower end of the big Holston Saturday, at 9 a.m the temp was already 58 degrees. As the water fell and the sun rose rises slowed even though cadis continued to come off. I didn't check the temp as I was leaving but could tell it was definitely higher.
c.v.

TylerG10
06-11-2013, 09:05 AM
I am ready for the operating schedule to get back to normal.

Being new to The Clinch, what is normal?

waterwolf
06-11-2013, 10:48 AM

Off from midnight until 8 or 9 am then 2 generators till midnight.

bigsur
06-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Tyler, here is a another link on the TVA site which shows the projected recreational schedule for the summer, but always check the actual generation schedule for updated info. http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/sched_norris.htm

Looked for you Saturday after we finished the TU event, here is a pic of the only one I got Saturday afternoon, you know where, beautiful color and tail like a mermaid. I should have gone home right then, it seemed to shut down at 3PM and all I did was practice flytying with no further luck!:biggrin:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/CLINCHRIVERJUNE82013_zps3fb5675e.jpg

fourx
06-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Dang!
I knew this halcyon summer dream of a mid-week schedule would end!
Last week I had a day that will go down as one of my best days ever anywhere!
Would post pics but everyone would know where I was and I've done a lot of footwork to catch these fish.
Oh well, I guess I'll ride my dirt bike or go to visit the soho on weekends cause the clinch is a zoo on sat. and sun..
Sayonara weekday clinch, I lust for your return.
See you on the trails, I'll be the one muddying Coal Creek.
4X

TylerG10
06-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Fourx, I feel the same way. I was loving getting to leave work and heading to the river. Perfect way to unwind. The Clinch is a Zoo on the weekends, Miller's area for sure. I have caught a lot of fish the past few Saturdays and had a lot of fun but I have been elbow to elbow and haven't really moved.

ChemEAngler
06-12-2013, 05:25 PM
The Clinch is a Zoo on the weekends, Miller's area for sure. I have caught a lot of fish the past few Saturdays and had a lot of fun but I have been elbow to elbow and haven't really moved.

Traditionally, that is the case during sulfur hatches. I used to fish the Clinch on a weekly basis, and shortly after the sulfur hatch came into full swing I would take a break and let the masses have it. I actually preferred fishing the Clinch July thru September when the fish are hunkered down sipping #24 midges. I was quite comfortable fishing 2 or 3 midges 5 - 6' below an indicator in long slow pools. Many people I took with me got frustrated, but we sure caught some big and feisty trout. I am starting to regret giving up my access point down river this year, as it was always more relaxing to fish around 5 of those guys than 50 strangers up at Miller's...

waterwolf
06-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Travis I'm with you and vastly prefer midge mania to the sulfurs. The fish get so weird during the latter stages of the hatch and at times can be almost uncatchable. Sure it's kind of cool, but after decades of dealing with it I prefer the midge grind of late summer and generally catch more quality fish late in the heat. It all comes down to overall tonnage of food the fish must consume, they have to eat far more midges than sulfurs and therefore are more apt to make a mistake during midge season than sulfur season.

Sandman
06-15-2013, 11:13 AM
I heard that are starting work again on Monday and it will be back to the no generation all day schedule again...

MadisonBoats
06-16-2013, 05:40 AM
I fished the weir pool Saturday Morning and was stunned at the low water level. I think they fixed the drains too well. TVA will need to run a pulse more often if it drains that effectively in my opinion.:smile:

77punk
06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
madison, was that you in the little aluminum boat near the tip of the island yesterday?

i too was amazed how low the water was when the kid and i pulled up. even my daughter, who doesn't much care for fishing noted how shallow the weir pond was

MadisonBoats
06-17-2013, 06:37 AM
madison, was that you in the little aluminum boat near the tip of the island yesterday?

i too was amazed how low the water was when the kid and i pulled up. even my daughter, who doesn't much care for fishing noted how shallow the weir pond was

I was out Sunday. However; I loaned my boat out Saturday to my friend so that he could take his little girls out fishing.

77punk
06-17-2013, 06:31 PM
i must have misunderstood your earlier post. this boat was pretty small, barely big enough for the dude and the 2 fly rods he had. there was a trailer in the parking lot that had a carrier in it, basically 2 wheels, 2 landscape timbers and a handle. i figured the guy in the little boat had to be the owner. i was hoping to connect the dots back to you so i could ask a few questions...

MadisonBoats
06-18-2013, 06:25 AM
i must have misunderstood your earlier post. this boat was pretty small, barely big enough for the dude and the 2 fly rods he had. there was a trailer in the parking lot that had a carrier in it, basically 2 wheels, 2 landscape timbers and a handle. i figured the guy in the little boat had to be the owner. i was hoping to connect the dots back to you so i could ask a few questions...

I am usually in "Old Blue"; my trusty little aluminum boat. It is blue/black with the "Gasden Flag" Symbol on the side. I hope you and any other fellow forum members feel free to wave or give me a shout any time you see me on the water and want to say hello. I will try to help in any way I can. Most of all; I like to learn and meet new people.

TylerG10
06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Today's flow looks rather odd. Does anyone know if they are actually working on the Weir this week?