PDA

View Full Version : Odd Day in the Creek

Grampus
08-11-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm not one to post much, but occasionally strange things happen or are observed. Yesterday, a fishing buddy said he noticed a clump of leaves hanging from some line that had broken off on a limb on the edge of the stream. A moment later, he glanced at it and noticed I moved. Later, he was telling me about what he thought was a bat. He took me to it and sure enough a bat was hooked and hanging helplessly from a limb. Not wanting a slow death and Having grown up in Bat Harbor, I've always had an affinity for the flying mammals. Being born on Halloween may be another factor. I reached up with some small scissors I'd removed from my vest, cutting my line dropping the bat into my net. I laid it down on a rock. It seemed sluggish (fatigue or daylight or both?). With a set of forceps in one hand and scissors in the other I cut the line, removing it from the hook. I opened its mouth, never knew bats had SO MANY TEETH! Noticing how the bare brass hook, roughly size 14 was imbedded past the barb & gently tugging, the hook would not come out. I decided to leave it in the upper palate figuring I'd do more harm in the removal process. I placed the bat in a dry, safe place and fished on upstream. About 200 yds upstream, I found a brand new baseball! There shouldn't be a baseball in that area of the Park! As I left for the day, I walked back to check on the bat and discovered it had left.

Results of the day... 1 bat, 1 baseball, but no glove :-(

As a disclaimer, I never touched the bat, but allowed it to remain self-entangled in my net as I did my work.

duckypaddler
08-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Grampus Jim - Like a old Big Brown - Only surfaces a few times a year:cool:

Born on Halloween, I did not know that, that might explain a few things:eek:

Thanks for posting. While I have heard of too many bat encounters lately, I have been lucky enough not to have any that involve contact. Hopefully you saved it:biggrin:

Any white powder on its nose? I'm sure you have mentioned already, but since you got up close and personal thought I would ask.

Would love a trip report from you:smile: Show us young ins how it done:biggrin:

Brownie
08-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the post and punchline and good on you for saving the bat :smile: