PDA

View Full Version : FF Guides for the Park

Travis W
08-19-2013, 03:30 PM
In addition to looking for good BBQ, I would also appreciate some recommendations for fly fishing guides for the Park. I have never hired a guide down there, so recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Brownie
08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
I would recommend Josh Pfeiffer at frontier anglers in maryville, you can google and find his contact info.He knows the park really well and is a **** of a nice guy, tell him Jules sent you :biggrin:

Stana Claus
08-19-2013, 08:07 PM
You could also give Ian Rutter (RandRFlyfishing.com) a call. He and his wife Charity (she guides, too) live in Townsend and have written a few top-notch guide books and made some excellent videos. Very supportive of the park and all-around great folks. If you do talk to him, tell him "Shark Week"'s dad said "Hi".

flyguys
08-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Brad Attwill through smoky mountain angler in gatlinburg tn. google it and you should find the info. Did a trip with them earlier this year. Top notch people. Call and ask for Harold. flyguys

g022271
08-20-2013, 12:14 AM
i second the choice of Ian Rutter. I've used him twice for trips in the park with one of the times including my adult son who was just starting out flyfishing. Ian was very patient with him and taught him alot.

Mike

HuskerFlyFisher
08-20-2013, 08:21 AM
There is a certain high-profile guide that can be a grouch. PM me for his name so you can avoid him.

Hoosier
08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Sure all the recommendations are good, but I am gonna throw out a third for Ian. I went with him on my first Smokys trip several years ago. Learned a lot from him, very patient, and caters the trip to what type of fishing you want to do.

I am sure the others are real good as well.

Sandman
08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
I would recommend Josh Pfeiffer at frontier anglers in maryville, you can google and find his contact info.He knows the park really well and is a **** of a nice guy, tell him Jules sent you :biggrin:

+1 for Josh. He is good people. I have heard that Ian Rudder is good as well, but I don't have any firsthand experience. I went out with Josh on a smallmouth trip and had a good time.

Float On
08-21-2013, 10:41 AM

I agree with Brownie. I've hired Josh for a trip in the Smoky's and I had a blast. Extremely knowledgable and makes a mean sandwich for lunch.:biggrin: I'm hoping to do a float trip with him soon.

The Principal
08-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Tim Doyle is also a good Guide. He is also in Townsend.

stevee71
08-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Another vote for Ian. He is a super guy.

Travis W
08-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all of the recommendations. A guy I work with mentioned Hugh Hartsell (sp?). Any one know of him?

David Knapp
08-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all of the recommendations. A guy I work with mentioned Hugh Hartsell (sp?). Any one know of him?

Hugh is awesome and I would highly recommend him. Unfortunately, I believe he has retired and is no longer guiding. See his page (http://smokymountainflyguide.com) for more and if you want to contact him...

Travis W
08-24-2013, 11:48 AM
There is a certain high-profile guide that can be a grouch. PM me for his name so you can avoid him.

I thought there wasn't a PM function on this forum. If there is, I don't see it anywhere.

Travis W
08-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Hugh is awesome and I would highly recommend him. Unfortunately, I believe he has retired and is no longer guiding. See his page (http://smokymountainflyguide.com) for more and if you want to contact him...

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will call or email him and see if he would be interested in fishing with a visitor.

jeffnles1
08-24-2013, 08:40 PM
I can't comment on any of the other guides since I haven't used them. I did hire Ian the first time my son and I fished the park several years ago. He was great with my son and didn't seem to have the ego problem I've seen with a few other guides.

Jeff

flyman
08-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Travis do you have a preference in which side of the park you fish? Which side are you staying on. Might cut your windshield time down. It can take a couple of hours to get from point a to point b in some areas of the park.