PDA

View Full Version : Hazel Creek

Breck
09-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Next month I have the opportunity to spend a few days on the famed creek.

I am reaching out to all on any advice i.e., feeder creeks worth not missing, places that most who visit might overlook but are a "must see" and anything that would fall into the category if you were to fish the area again what "would you do differently".

I am truly interested in the history of the area as much if not more than the fishing.

The dates are 10 - 13 October.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. If you don't want to post, please email me below.

There are 2 -3 spots still available.

Thank you in advance.

Breck

breckdavis100@gmail.com

David Knapp
09-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Breck, you are a lucky man to get to do that trip! Hazel has of course been on my list for a long time but I have yet to fish over there. I don't have much advice but hope you have fun!

buzzmcmanus
09-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Breck, you are a lucky man to get to do that trip! Hazel has of course been on my list for a long time but I have yet to fish over there. I don't have much advice but hope you have fun!

Same here. Hazel has always been on my "to do" list, but I have yet to make it there. Breck - Have fun on your trip.

mattblick
09-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Next month I have the opportunity to spend a few days on the famed creek.

I am reaching out to all on any advice i.e., feeder creeks worth not missing, places that most who visit might overlook but are a "must see" and anything that would fall into the category if you were to fish the area again what "would you do differently".

I am truly interested in the history of the area as much if not more than the fishing.

The dates are 10 - 13 October.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. If you don't want to post, please email me below.

Thank you in advance.

Breck

breckdavis100@gmail.com

Breck,

I have long wanted to try Hazel, but have yet had the opportunity to fish it. (I've done Eagle, Deep, Noland, Forney but not Hazel); I don't have any first hand advice to give. However I can advise you to do a little reading. :biggrin: I can get down to the park only so often, so I read a lot about the park when I can't be there. This forum has many helpful people; but I think you will be able to obtain answers for the many unasked questions with some reference materials.

To find the feeder streams with ease, at 1:2100 scale (about 3 times greater than the Trails Illustrated maps); get Fred's maps of Hazel. He has 2 maps covering the area HCU and HCL, and there are a lot of marked up feeder streams on both.

I think picking up these books would be great for the history aspect in addition to providing details on the creek and feeders.

First and foremost would be a copy of Jim Casada's "Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider’s Guide to a Pursuit of Passion" He gets into the history quite a bit; this is much better better than just a fishing guide.

Another great book, if you can get your hands on it is Kenneth Wise's "Hiking Trails of the Great Smoky Mountains, A Comprehensive guide." Wise covers a lot of history, much better than the ubiquitous "Brown Book". It also includes trails that are no longer listed in the Brown Book; Breakneck Ridge is a prime example. Well used copies go for about $30; and there are listings for new copies for as much as $900. Jim Casada posted here seveal years back that Kenneth is working on a new edition. It will be on my bookshelf as soon as I hear of its existence.

Don Kirk and Greg Ward's recent "The Ultimate Fly-Fishing Guide To The Great Smoky Mountains" covers history well. Several people noted that the book didn't contain a whole lot of new material compared to Don's previous books. I have those books as well, and I think Greg's new contributions are a great compliment to Doug's work. If you have Don's other books, you might not want this one. If you don't have his other titles; go for it.

Ian Rutter's "Great Smoky Mountains National Park Angler's Companion." is pretty much all fishing, however it is an excellent book, and in my opinion has some of the best fishing advice available. Reading the book isn't going to be entertaining like those above; this is a technical reference. The amount of material that Ian put into some 60 pages is impressive. I suspect giving brief detailed advice to customers at Little River Outfitters years ago contributed to that.

Please post a report with lots of pictures; I won't be down again until November.

cockeye valdez
09-12-2013, 10:16 AM
I did Hazel Creek 3 years ago. We made the mistake of not checking with Ian Ruder before we did it.. B.T.W. they will be over there the same time you are. We pulled an overloaded cart up the trail 5 miles and should have set up camp down low and fished our way up stream. I would check out R & R web site. Ian and Charity have done this a bunch and are very helpful.
c.v.

lexfly
09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I am going to Hazel next week. Which site are you going to stay in?

bigsur
09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I did Hazel Creek 3 years ago. We made the mistake of not checking with Ian Ruder before we did it.. B.T.W. they will be over there the same time you are. We pulled an overloaded cart up the trail 5 miles and should have set up camp down low and fished our way up stream. I would check out R & R web site. Ian and Charity have done this a bunch and are very helpful.
c.v.

Second your comments, the Rutters did their Hazel Creek presentation to our local TU this summer and it was top notch. They know it inside out and had lots ot tips on where to stay and where to fish and the history. If you get a chance to hear their presentation do it, I would love to take my first trip there with one of their annual outings, but I could only afford to go as a paid pack mule. Take pictures, take notes and have fun!:biggrin:

JoeFred
09-12-2013, 12:21 PM
B
...Jim Casada's "Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider’s Guide to a Pursuit of Passion" He gets into the history quite a bit;...

Thanks, Matt.

I believe Breck has one already, but it has been brought it to the attention of Great Smoky Mountains Association that Jim's book is showing temporarily out of stock for online orders. http://shop.smokiesinformation.org/products2.cfm/ID/330/name/Fly-Fishing-in-GSMNP:-An-Insider's-Guide. I was told by a warehouse staff person that an order has been placed for more. Sales through the official park store help with funding educational, scientific and historical programs in the park.

The book is available at some of the park brick & mortar stores and at LRO and through their online catalog. http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=18520&cat=995&page=1

– JF

Mac
09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Lexfly,

What campsite are you staying on Hazel Next week. I though we have talked before about some of our favorite places to fish on Hazel.

If interested send me a email update of your plans, luv to share some favorite spots and stories with you again.

William dot mclemore01 at gmail dot com

Beck if interested you can email with question on Hazel. There should be quite a few reports on Hazel on this forum.

lexfly
09-12-2013, 03:32 PM
We will be staying at Bone Valley site. Email on its way!

mstone
09-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Breck,
We have camped at Bone Valley in the past. There are some nice stretches of water above and below there. Some of the prettiest water in the park that I have seen. I believe there are some springs at that site as well. Enjoy your trip. I need to get back in that area soon.

mstone

flyman
09-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Lots of good water to fish. I like to fish the horseshoe below the Sawdust pile, the area between Sugar Fork and Bone Valley, and above Bone Valley. There is a ton of water and something for everyone. You might want to fish the lower creek one day. That time of year some lake fish start to move up to spawn, and you can catch some nice Smallmouth below the old gauging station. Sugar Fork can fish well if it has some water, but my 2 favorite tribs are Bone Valley Ck and Procter Ck.

Breck
09-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Gentleman, I am appreciating all the info. I am aware of Jims book and have it, JF's maps as well and I too look at this trip as a treasure to never forget and prepare for. That is why I inquired on this Forum and no other for the real time knowledge of recent trips and points of interest from those who have gone before me.

I promise to do my part by paying forward the help with a good fishing report with Ian and Charity next month.

Thank You,

Breck

duckypaddler
09-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Thank you in advance.

If your paying I'm going:biggrin:

I'll even carry your pack:rolleyes:

lexfly
09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Breck,
I have stayed at Sawdust pile and Bone Valley in the past. Most of the fishing I have done has been from Sawdust pile and up. You really can't go wrong with any of it in my opinion. Some of my best luck has been between the Sugar Fork site and Bone Valley site. You will likely see some big browns from the trail in the big pools as you walk up. Enjoy it. It is a great place.

Breck
09-13-2013, 04:01 PM
If your paying I'm going:biggrin:

I'll even carry your pack:rolleyes:

Ducky, you truly are the Best!!!! I can imagine what the video might look like that you would end up shooting.

Breck

Breck
09-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Breck,
I have stayed at Sawdust pile and Bone Valley in the past. Most of the fishing I have done has been from Sawdust pile and up. You really can't go wrong with any of it in my opinion. Some of my best luck has been between the Sugar Fork site and Bone Valley site. You will likely see some big browns from the trail in the big pools as you walk up. Enjoy it. It is a great place.

Lex,

Thank You.

Breck

duckypaddler
09-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Ducky, you truly are the Best!!!! I can imagine what the video might look like that you would end up shooting.

Breck

Might smight:confused: I'll carry your backpack, shoot video and pics of you and heck will even give you most of the fresh water;). That would give me an excuse to go all Horace Kephart and abandone my family. While I don't normally drink we could even go on a bender if you want:eek:

NDuncan
09-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Might smight:confused: I'll carry your backpack, shoot video and pics of you and heck will even give you most of the fresh water;). That would give me an excuse to go all Horace Kephart and abandone my family. While I don't normally drink we could even go on a bender if you want:eek:

Go on a bender!? Where? When? Haha

duckypaddler
09-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Go on a bender!? Where? When? Haha

Maybe we can just hang out with our Indian friend after we fish Sunday.:biggrin: Does that count?

NDuncan
09-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Maybe we can just hang out with our Indian friend after we fish Sunday.:biggrin: Does that count?

Absolutely.

mattblick
09-17-2013, 11:09 AM

Call it "a tasting" and it sounds much better than a bender.

I'm planning an eight man back country trip in November and we're having a whiskey tasting. Each of us is packing in a fifth to ensure we have an amount to properly judge the entries.

Bran
09-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Matt, if eight's company, would 9 be a crowd? http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
Breck, I also have Jim's book but was wanting some more info the
other day and wanted to check in and see how he was doing. I went to
his website and used the email contact link there, he replied to me
within a couple of days. I'm sure he would give you some more specific
advice if you ask.

mattblick
09-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Matt, if eight's company, would 9 be a crowd? http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
Breck, I also have Jim's book but was wanting some more info the
other day and wanted to check in and see how he was doing. I went to
his website and used the email contact link there, he replied to me
within a couple of days. I'm sure he would give you some more specific
advice if you ask.

Hey Bran, with the "SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS" rangers out and about waking hikers up before 8; I don't think we'll want to be hiding a 9th member while looking for our permits and nursing a hangover. A Nature's Coffee Kettle (http://www.naturescoffeekettle.com/) and enough refills for 6 gallons of coffee will be packed for the aforementioned hangovers. :eek:

Depending on our route some of the sites will hold 10 (I'm leaning towards Clingman's->Forney Ridge->Noland). The excursion will consist of 7 micks and a kraut so ye olde Irish is the menu.

Rob Johnson
09-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Hey Breck, good luck on Hazel. Thanks for your posts, glad you are getting a chance to fish a new creek. if you want to know more about the Hazel creek area contact Duane Oliver. Google him or try Duane Oliver www. smokymountainnews. com. He has a room full of books to send you. The angling writers have a good fix on the history, but he lived there. If you can hike up to Calhoun campsite you will catch fish on a parachute fly with an orange or yellow body. Or try a size twelve parachute adams. :cool:

Breck
09-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Hey Breck, good luck on Hazel. Thanks for your posts, glad you are getting a chance to fish a new creek. if you want to know more about the Hazel creek area contact Duane Oliver. Google him or try Duane Oliver www. smokymountainnews. com. He has a room full of books to send you. The angling writers have a good fix on the history, but he lived there. If you can hike up to Calhoun campsite you will catch fish on a parachute fly with an orange or yellow body. Or try a size twelve parachute adams. :cool:

Rob, Thank You. After reading your post started to look as you advised and came across this great read on Horace Kephart. Thank you.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/component/k2/item/11757-kephart-s-life-after-hazel-creek

Breck

Rob Johnson
09-27-2013, 06:49 PM
I talked to Duane Oliver today. He says his book "Hazel Creek From Then Till Now" is for sale at the visitor center shops in GSMNP. I did not see any at Sugarlands 2 weeks ago. If you live near Waynesville, you can just stop by and see him he says. He has several titles so tell him that is the one you want. His cookbooks actually have some great history and rememberances as well. Send a check for 12 dollars and your mail info to: Duane Oliver 558 Westwood Circle. Waynesville, NC 28786. He will sign it for you if you want. If youare really interestd in the history of Hazel Creek, you will like this book. Hope your trip goes well.