PDA

View Full Version : no National Park webpages available

bigsur
10-01-2013, 10:37 AM
just got this after searching for a link to NPS.gov:

Because of the federal government shutdown, all national parks are closed and National Park Service webpages are not operating. For more information, go to www.doi.gov (http://www.doi.gov/).

:frown:

Update: this is the Department of Interior link,tried to open above link and it just spun and never opened after five minutes, only link I could get to open was the doi.idaho.gov insurance commisioner page. If you have ever had a question about Idaho insurance looks like today is your lucky day! :biggrin:

Update: link finally opened and gives various news articles with lead story government shutdown of course! Here is shortut link to DOI questions and answers PDF for park closings dated Sept 27,2013:

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/NPS-FAQ.pdf

Update: link to knox news article about the Smokies: copy and paste or click on below:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/oct/01/smokies-in-process-of-closing-down-notifying/

silvercreek
10-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I always look at the web cams for the Smokies that the National Park folks put up. Today I do not get the cams, but it defaults to the National Park home paage. I could get the National Forest Joyce Kilmer cam though.

77punk
10-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I have been trying to call the tellico ranger station to find out if the closings affect the national forests as well. There has been no answer. People own property in green cove, can they lock all of that down as well?

bigsur
10-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I have a co-worker who has a Big South Fork outing for a cub scout group this Saturday, they were not answering either, we think they are affected due to National Recreation area designation.

UPDATE:They answered the phone but gave no info other than we are closed to his questions. I feel for these employees who have to listen to all the complaints thru no fault of their own. :cool:

77punk
10-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I Googled CNF and got basically the same notice seen on NPS website. US forest service is closed, and the USDA web page was down.

Crockett
10-01-2013, 03:13 PM
According to this article National Forests will remain "open" probably because like someone stated there are so many access points and communities inside them it would be too hard to close them. If they could they sure would I bet:
http://www.ravallirepublic.com/news/state-and-regional/article_c63a76a2-fc5b-5de8-81fb-f17189cc7785.html

wet butt
10-02-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm coming for my annual trip on the 13th. Can I still fish Park waters if I park in a pull off and walk in. With employees furloughed who's to stop me if I do? Rangers should all be home or filing for unemployment.

CarlK

bigsur
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Not sure if that's a good plan, with all the gear we wear won't that be like chasing fatboys at a doughnut shop break in? :biggrin: On a serious note if you see the links in my first post I think your answer is there, I would follow the news stories close as your time approaches and maybe adjust to some tailwaters near here if still a shutdown. Oh wait a minute that would crowd my tailwaters, never mind the Clinch is full of riptides, water moccasions and game wardens, you should probably just stay home and watch Dancing with the Stars reruns on Tivo. :redface:

silvercreek
10-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Its my understanding that there are still some enforcement folks on duty.

77punk
10-02-2013, 01:56 PM
I had considered that as well, maybe parking along a lake and hiking in... The article I read in the news sentinel yesterday stated there will be 47 park employees working during the shutdown. They were to be emergency dispatchers, law enforcement rangers, and a few for maintenance. I'm sure they will be looking for like minded anglers who don't mind a little hiking. For me its not worth getting towed, ticketed or arrested for trespassing

bigsur
10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
UPDATE: The paragraphs below is from Dainel's LRO fishing report on this webpage this morning for those who might have missed it:

"Well, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and ALL the others for that matter, is still closed this morning. US 441 Newfound Gap Road is open to through traffic. You can drive to Cherokee, NC but they have the pull offs barricaded so there is no stopping. All other roads in the Park are closed including Little River Road, Tremont Road and Cades Cove. Visitors aren't even allowed to walk or bike in."

"I tried calling the Cherokee National Forest offices yesterday and finally got a voice mail saying that they were on furlough and unable to answer the calls. This morning I called the TWRA and the lady I spoke with there said that the information that they had was that National Forest Campgrounds were closed but roads were still open and hunts and fishing opportunities would continue as normal. Having the National Forest remaining open provides tons of fishing opportunities.
Keep in mind that the main part of Tellico River is closed to fishing on Thursdays and Fridays due to normal stocking. You also need a special Tellico Permit in addition to your TN Fishing license and Trout Stamp. If you fish North River or Bald Rivers you do not need the extra permit and you can fish everyday."

buzzmcmanus
10-02-2013, 03:18 PM
South Cherokee NF has some campgrounds closed, the roadways are open. There are bear hunts starting Saturday that will run through the next couple weeks.

The fishing in Tellico River is open 7 days as the stocking days are over and they are on the catch and release portion of the delayed harvest schedule.

Remember, the bear hunts are going on and you may want to wear some visible blaze orange. I'll be out there hunting this weekend, so if you see a guy in an orange vest and an orange hat, stop and introduce yourself. :biggrin:

Stonefly
10-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Also, the Tellico-Citico permit is only required between March 15 - Sept 15.

steve

Oldman
10-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Its my understanding that there are still some enforcement folks on duty.
If not, it would be a great time for the poachers:confused:

Dukejb
10-03-2013, 10:06 AM
If not, it would be a great time for the poachers:confused:

It does make you wonder how the elk population in Cataloochee will be affected.

Crockett
10-03-2013, 01:45 PM
It does make you wonder how the elk population in Cataloochee will be affected.

I doubt it if anything it will make poaching deep in the park harder to do since the roads are blocked no poacher can drive in there. If they walk all those miles down into the valley and shoot an Elk they wouldn't be able to get it out of there.

bigsur
10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
UPDATE:
I just spoke with TVA in Knoxville, they said they are not affected by shutdown and any TVA boat ramps or access will remain open. I also spoke with state park office in Nashville concerning campgrounds everything is open that is under their jurisdiction for example Norris campground. So with some careful planning you should be able to get out on the water somewhere in Tennessee! :biggrin:

hoop235
10-04-2013, 01:24 PM
If your going to the lake, just make sure it's not a National Forest Service lake. Lake Ocoee in South Cherokee NP is closed due to the two boat ramps being operated by the Forest Service which is closed. Both ramps have locked gates on them right now and there is no public access ramps on the lake. :-(

Bran
10-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Doesn't it really seem like a lot of overkill? Like those that are not getting their way up top are calling down and saying shut everything down, make everyone feel the hit so there will be a big outcry?
I mean barricade the pull offs on the NF Gap road? Come on, what does it cost the gubberment a cent for a few folks to pull over while this is going on? What does it cost for me to launch my own boat at an open COE boat ramp here at home? (The answer to that is $4, which is the fee I have to leave in the dropbox every time I launch, i.e., they MAKE money).
Sorry, just venting!! I'm sick of this "I, ME, MY" admin in charge up top! It's OUR land, OUR park, OUR rivers. Some of us (albeit a minority) still work hard for these things and pay a heck of a lot of taxes to have them! Do you reckon they will prorate a refund on your taxes for the time you missed in the park this year? Right!

bigsur
10-06-2013, 12:32 AM
UPDATE: CHANNEL 8 TV out of knoxville showed a story and posted it on their webpage tonight at 11 pm concerning parts of paek being accessible. Intersting part was nps.gov is still down so not sure how the general population is suppposed to know.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headlines/Smokies-among-parks-closed-due-to-federal-shutdown-225990901.html

bigsur
10-08-2013, 11:02 AM
UPDATE: Below is a post from an Utah TV station yesterday regarding the Grand Canyon in Arizona and parks in Utah, I am trying to keep politics out of these updates, but you can now see the individual states are starting to reach their limits when it comes to the federal government and local tourist impact dollars in their respective areas. My dog in the fight is a 2wt begging for a Smokies stream, that I don't have to walk 20 klicks ( a klick is aprox. .62 miles for those always wondering what that means) to get to!:biggrin:

AZ residents, business leaders to protest shutdown at Grand Canyon

Posted: Oct 07, 2013 8:16 PM EDT Updated: Oct 08, 2013 9:35 AM EDT Posted by Steve Stout -

http://kpho.images.worldnow.com/images/490348_G.jpg (http://kpho.images.worldnow.com/images/490348_G.jpg)

ST. GEORGE, UT (CBS5/AP) - Arizona residents and business leaders will protest the shutdown of the U.S. government today at the gates of the Grand Canyon.
MOREAdditional Links

Federal officials have turned down offers of local financial assistance to keep the park running.
Meanwhile, county governments across southern Utah are moving to condemn the shutdown of national parks by declaring an official emergency.
The Spectrum of St. George reports that lawmakers in Washington, Iron, Kane, Grand and Paiute counties are filing separate resolutions declaring a state of emergency.
Iron County Commissioner Dave Miller calls the shutdown of national parks a political stunt and abuse of power by federal officials.
He raises the possibility that Utah or Arizona could take over the national parks. Miller says they're being mismanaged.
The parks closed a week ago when a lingering budget dispute in Congress defunded much of the federal government.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (http://www.cbs5az.com/) (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

duckypaddler
10-08-2013, 03:48 PM
My dog in the fight is a 2wt begging for a Smokies stream, that I don't have to walk 20 klicks ( a klick is aprox. .62 miles for those always wondering what that means) to get to!:biggrin:

I'd happily walk 100 klicks to fish my Smokies:biggrin:

If you can't do the 20 klicks, you might want to give up the cigars:eek:

You not a Spring chicken but you're not old either, and if you need to you can always take your lawn chair for breaks:rolleyes:

And it's only 2 klicks to prime Brown habitat on LR if you hike into Metcalf;)

Think our trip this weekend was only 4 klicks:biggrin:

bigsur
10-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I'd happily walk 100 klicks to fish my Smokies:biggrin:

If you can't do the 20 klicks, you might want to give up the cigars:eek:

You not a Spring chicken but you're not old either, and if you need to you can always take your lawn chair for breaks:rolleyes:

And it's only 2 klicks to prime Brown habitat on LR if you hike into Metcalf;)

Think our trip this weekend was only 4 klicks:biggrin:

At long last a retort from our Captain Jack Sparrow of the Smokys and his gang of rogue misfits! :biggrin: Sir, I will keep my cigar, lawn chair and Maker's Mark and leave the rappelling of rock and boulder to capture the elusive brook you so relish to you and your troop of malcontents. I am built for comfort not speed and would like to spend my remaining years with all 10 toes and limbs. We however, do enjoy your adventures and antics of near drownings, broken rods, and old mountain men who's land you trapse across and find great comfort in the knowledge of yes I am crazy but you should see this guy! Be safe, stay dry, I'll wait for the gates to reopen and drive to my Shangri-La's! ;)

buzzmcmanus
10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
At long last a retort from our Captain Jack Sparrow of the Smokys and his gang of rogue misfits! :biggrin: Sir, I will keep my cigar, lawn chair and Maker's Mark and leave the rappelling of rock and boulder to capture the elusive brook you so relish to you and your troop of malcontents. I am built for comfort not speed and would like to spend my remaining years with all 10 toes and limbs. We however, do enjoy your adventures and antics of near drownings, broken rods, and old mountain men who's land you trapse across and find great comfort in the knowledge of yes I am crazy but you should see this guy! Be safe, stay dry, I'll wait for the gates to reopen and drive to my Shangri-La's! ;)

Excellent!

mattblick
10-10-2013, 11:22 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2vumss8.jpg[

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vumss8.jpg

bigsur
10-10-2013, 11:39 AM
UPDATE: see CNN bereaking news: Hold your breath, GOP has announced willing to sit down and possibly raise temporary debt ceiling. Stock market surges. Let's hope parks reopen soon! :biggrin:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/stay-strong-weekend-is-coming-soon_zpse4a0d8d1.jpg

Thunderhead8
10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Not sure if that's a good plan, with all the gear we wear won't that be like chasing fatboys at a doughnut shop break in? :biggrin: On a serious note if you see the links in my first post I think your answer is there, I would follow the news stories close as your time approaches and maybe adjust to some tailwaters near here if still a shutdown. Oh wait a minute that would crowd my tailwaters, never mind the Clinch is full of riptides, water moccasions and game wardens, you should probably just stay home and watch Dancing with the Stars reruns on Tivo. :redface:

Fat boys in a donut shop??? You referring to another cowoorker, Bigsur?

bigsur
10-16-2013, 01:17 AM
UPDATE: SEE LINK FROM MARYVILLE TIMES newspaper Wednesday post midnight 10/16/2013

Looks like it's a go to reopen park, verify with park before traveling this is a constantly moving and changing scenario

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Local_News/story/Smokies-reopens-Blount-Sevier-help-state-fund-five-day-reopening-id-041970.

Also below is link to Department of Interior related announcement:

http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/national-park-service-enters-agreement-with-state-of-tennessee-to-re-open-great-smoky-mountains-national-park.cfm

:biggrin:

bigsur
10-16-2013, 10:33 AM
UPDATE: PARK OPENING PICTURES SEE LINK BELOW KNOXVILLE PAPER THIS MORNING 10/16/2014 :biggrin:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/oct/16/smokies-open-traffic-backups-at-townsend-wye/