PDA

View Full Version : Am I Crazy?

mcdaniels
12-06-2013, 11:50 PM
I am planning a little experiment for 2014. I plan on fishing only 4 patterns next year. I, like many of you, have boxes full of every fly you can think of to match almost any hatch on trout waters in the South East. But I found myself this year fishing the same patterns for the most part all year. So starting in late February for my birthday trip to the Park, I will start my year with these four patterns and try not to stray to see if I have as much success as previous years. I will only have Parachute Adams, Yellow Elk Hair Caddis, Hare's Ear, and Pheasant Tail. These will be in 12,14,16. So guy and girls, Am I Crazy?

mcdaniels
12-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Also, this will be the first year of fishing only my own flies no store bought flies.

Oldman
12-07-2013, 09:01 AM
If your crazy then I am too. Thats all I ever use year round. Sometimes in late summer I may use a greenie weeine just to see what happens but other than that I use dry dropper hairwing adams/PTor HE. In the Park, trout seem to like a yellow never sink caddis over the HW adams though.

dwardmba
12-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Like a fox

mcdaniels
12-07-2013, 03:50 PM
If your crazy then I am too. Thats all I ever use year round. Sometimes in late summer I may use a greenie weeine just to see what happens but other than that I use dry dropper hairwing adams/PTor HE. In the Park, trout seem to like a yellow never sink caddis over the HW adams though.

Yeah I was thinking about picking up some foam to switch to the neversink after seeing everyone raving about it this year. Plus it looks easier and faster to make.

mcdaniels
12-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Like a fox

Call me Mr. Fox then, cause I am feeling crazy. :biggrin:

onthefly
12-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I think you will do just fine. It's mostly about presentation and fishing with flies your confident in. It's always nice/rewarding catching fish on flies you tied yourself too. Have a great 2014 fishing season.

yonder
12-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Add me to the list of "crazies!!"........your choices sound good to me. I have been this sort of crazy for years now. I will add however, to let yourself "experiment", so to speak at the vise. Griffith gnat variations are easy and very effective from here to Montana......good luck with your venture.:smile:

mcdaniels
12-09-2013, 12:26 AM
I settled on a box today and it is a six compartment box that will fit in a shirt pocket well. Also I am getting into tying with foam. So I am going to go with the neversink over the elk hair caddis. And adding the green weenie and foam beetle. Most of my trips will be summer trips so the original list with these two additions I feel I will have all the summer insects covered with one box and six patterns. Really getting excited about this minimalist approach.

onthefly
12-09-2013, 01:55 PM
It has only been a few days and your bumping yourself up to six patterns. Let's take a poll and see how many patterns McDaniels is going to be up to, by the time he takes his first trip to the park in 2014 lol. :biggrin:

flyred06
12-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I can go with four easily. Para Adams Bwo pmx pheasant tail. My problem is I can't get down to just one rod. I got so many "smokies" rods that I change rods more than flies

surfdog
12-09-2013, 08:48 PM
I don't post often, I am not an expert or local, I have fished gsnp for 10 days in early summer for the past 5 yrs and can say 4 patterns are all you need.anything that resembles a yellow sally,I tie an extended body foam that gets lots of hits.greenie weenie in colors [green ,pink ,red] I use the spirit river squirmy wormy material and have fish fighting over my offerings. I have found a foam beetle [14-16] can create a fun response and my bow to david knape is a tellico nymph. of course all can be altered to create thousand of flies

mcdaniels
12-11-2013, 03:47 PM
It has only been a few days and your bumping yourself up to six patterns. Let's take a poll and see how many patterns McDaniels is going to be up to, by the time he takes his first trip to the park in 2014 lol. :biggrin:

You usually would be right but I am sticking to it this time. I have already put all my other stuff in my left over fishing gear tote. And I only have the six compartment box in my Fishpond San Juan pack. So we will have to see what the poll says. LOL

mcdaniels
12-11-2013, 03:51 PM
I can go with four easily. Para Adams Bwo pmx pheasant tail. My problem is I can't get down to just one rod. I got so many "smokies" rods that I change rods more than flies

I am starting to do the same thing. I am trying my best not to buy one right now. But I seem to be failing BAD !!!

mcdaniels
12-11-2013, 03:57 PM
I don't post often, I am not an expert or local, I have fished gsnp for 10 days in early summer for the past 5 yrs and can say 4 patterns are all you need.anything that resembles a yellow sally,I tie an extended body foam that gets lots of hits.greenie weenie in colors [green ,pink ,red] I use the spirit river squirmy wormy material and have fish fighting over my offerings. I have found a foam beetle [14-16] can create a fun response and my bow to david knape is a tellico nymph. of course all can be altered to create thousand of flies

I really like the list you have and I see what you are saying. I have come to the realization based on input from forum members and my limited experience, these park fish aren't to picky about the fly as long as the color and size is right. The real trick is to be stealthy with a proper drift. That is the reason for me trimming the fat on patterns. Just want to be able to tie a few flies really good rather than tie many patterns ok. Plus I have been bit by the catch them on your own fly bug.

softhackle
12-16-2013, 09:04 PM
I haven't fished the Smokies that much to offer an informed opinion. But, for the upper midwest I can get by with about six patterns. The only exception is when there's a hatch. However, during many of the hatches up here I've found the fish to be more keyed on the emergers than the adults hence, I always carry a box of softhackles with me. I can't tell you how many times they've saved me from a day of frustration. When the hatch is on pull out a wet fly that looks as close to the natural as you can get, then cast down and across. As you soon as the fly ends it's drift and begins to swing across current thats usually when the fish will hit it. Also a lot of times they'll take the wet fly dead drift. Watch your fly closely.

eugward
12-19-2013, 10:44 PM
I been thinking about going with 3 or 4 patterns next year for bass fishing. I most have at least 300 different patterns for bass and only use 3 to 4 of them any way

Slider
12-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Yep, a hopper or popper for bass 90% of the time.

eugward
12-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Thats two of the flies I use. The other two are stealth bomber and Daves frogs driver.

Slider
12-21-2013, 02:20 AM
My others vary, sometimes a woolly bugger or a thunder creek streamer (very cool fly for many species). I always want to experiment but they just nail the popper. I know this is predominantly a trout board but smallies smashing a popper - oh my.