PDA

View Full Version : Bigsur new year karma tradition

bigsur
12-29-2013, 03:39 PM
The last few years my New Years day tradition for the next years fishing karma
Is to go fish. The amount of time fishing or number of casts does not matter, it's simply
getting a line wet at least once on New Years day and setting the tone for the coming year!
The past couple of years I have fished the Clinch, but with the flows so unpredictable due to rrain I have decided to move it to Metcalf Bottoms lpicnic area in the Smokies.

I invite anyone to stop by between 1:00 and 3:00 pm throw a line and get your fishing karma on for 2014. This is the very description of unorganized and unsponsered by any group, just fishin fools gathering for a minute of casting and telling tall tales and outright lies. I fished Elkmont yesterday so be prepared for any kind of weather, it's the Smokies and it's winter, conditions can change in a minute. NOAA is showing upper 40's and sunny but take that with a grain of salt.

I will bring a bag of charcoal for anybody who wants to bring something to throw on a grill, or drink. Note: Its bring your own for food or drink! Look for a black Camry or green 4Runner and stop and wet a line. If you need directions just ask on here whether it's just me or 25 stop by and start the year in fine fishin fashion!

RAIN OR SHINE

buzzmcmanus
12-30-2013, 08:04 AM
I don't think my wife has anything planned for us then. As long as it stays that way, I'll swing by.

duckypaddler
12-30-2013, 10:28 AM
If I didn't have family plans already, I would have loved to meet you for this:smile:

Although with the water level and temp, I might have shown up in my boat:rolleyes:.

I know it's pretty shallow there, but be careful with the Little being up so high ;).

Happy New Year to all:biggrin:

bigsur
12-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Buzz, sounds great I'll have coffee on, ducky, hope you have a great New Year. we will watch the flow, it may be bankside high sticking but that's okay, still counts for New Year tradition. Of course anybody in the area that day is more than welcome, no stress, no fuss just settin the tone for 2014! :biggrin:

Fishstu
12-30-2013, 02:54 PM
It does sound like a good time is in "the offing" - wish I lived within a short drive of GSMNP. We stayed in a cabin on Walland (Old Walland?) Road for a few days before and on Christmas last week, but did not unpack my gear because the flow/level was so high - of course, it looked to be at a manageable flow/level the morning we had to leave but that's the way it is sometimes. I believe the river set a new high on flow one of those days and it was "ugly brown" when we got there.
oh, well, hope all enjoyed a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year - just leave some feesh in the water for when this flat-lander can get back to the Park, hopefully, this coming spring.
FishStu

bigsur
12-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Last minute shout out weather looks great for tomorrow, sunny and the temps possibly afternoon highs mid 50's. If you are near the Metcalf picnic area New Years Day around 1:00 to 3:00 pm stop by for a New Years cast , coffee's on! :biggrin:

Sidenote:
No tradition is complete without a contest, the person wth the largest verifiable fish caught that day at Metcalf will receive a brand new, never worn, black baseball cap emblazoned with the logo: "Herb's Welding Shop, Maryville, TN", and a laurel and hardy handshake from Bigsur!

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20131231_162803_zpsebe6d63b.jpg

Rob Johnson
12-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Hope the trout are biting for you tomorrow. Happy new year!:smile:

softhackle
01-01-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm jealous. My annual New Years Day trek to the Wisconsin spring ponds had to be cancelled because of all the snow.
Bigsur it's a great way to start the year and the great way to spread good karma. I hope all of you had a great day on the water. Happy New Year Everybody.

duckypaddler
01-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Any fish? Any fish bigger than the cigar you were smoking?
Curious minds need to know:biggrin:.

Stonefly
01-02-2014, 12:32 PM
How did it go?

The last few years have seen the Caney generating 24/7 this time of year, so the old tradition of catching a few on New Years hasn't worked out.

Anyone else fish yesterday?

steve

bigsur
01-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Fish? Who said we were trying to catch anything :biggrin:, people got there later than expected around 2:30 pm, will try to post some pics today. We ended up with five people, I was happy with that, with two day notice of event and change of venue, I was amazed by the number of people passing thru Metcalf and stopping to picnic, a lot of Florida, Ky, Ohio tags on New Years day, the area is only partailly opend in winter and every table was taken with a constant rotation of diffrent people right up till 5:30 PM. I think Metcalf will be the permanent location for the New Year's event, creekside dining area and bathrooms. :biggrin: More to come!

duckypaddler
01-02-2014, 12:47 PM
:biggrin: More to come!

Not sure whether to believe you are trying to tease the masses by making us wait for pictures, or just can't figure out how to upload them:biggrin:

bigsur
01-02-2014, 04:28 PM
As anyone can see in the following photos, this New Year's tradition is a very serious and solemn event held with the dignity it so richly deserves. The new Metcalf Bottoms location was the perfect setting for the afternoon of reelin, chillin and grillin!

After a quick photo shoot with some esteemed members we started the afternoon's events

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_141441_zpsc9102d42.jpg

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_142052_zpsdc0c2e6d.jpg

Excuse me do you have a Marlboro, no but we have a couple of Winston's,
Paula, note the 5wt on the right, it might look familiar to you!

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_145440_zps2de89c36.jpg

Thunderhead reported his catch, which we immediatley questioned!:confused:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_150455_zps94683f12.jpg

After further questioning he adjusted his catch report :frown:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_150459_zps62ab378b.jpg

Finally under threat of removal from the park area he adjusted his estimate!:mad:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_150509_zps614d955d.jpg

However because we are old and cranky without a nap we awarded him the Official New Year's Day "HERB'S WELDING SHOP" hat, so we could eat dinner. He still does not know it was based on being "MS CONGENIALITY".

After much discussion and a full nelson Thunderhead agreed to relenquish the hat to start a new tradition of handing it down like the Stanley Cup or
until we forget where we put it each year or lose it.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_152050_zpse3b48399.jpg

Dinner complete with a dessert of fine cigars and Makers, rounded out the day. Hey did you know if you spit Makers on a fire you can lose your eyebrow's. good thing we bought those glasses! :biggrin:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_180904_zps7644d9d5.jpg

Sunset over Townsend on New Year's day completed the evening. I hope next year to increase the numbers attending and invite everyone to next year's. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2014 and many days of fishing!

bmadd
01-02-2014, 05:01 PM
You guys went all out. Tablecloths and fine china!

bigsur
01-02-2014, 05:21 PM
You guys went all out. Tablecloths and fine china!

We do not mess around, this event was only for a couple of hours normally for an overnight trip we take chandeliers, we are built for comfort not speed. It's why chicks dig us! :biggrin:

bmadd
01-03-2014, 12:56 AM
Ya'll high fallutin' East Tn folks are something else! Wish I could have made the trek. Maybe next year!

duckypaddler
01-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Ya'll high fallutin' East Tn folks are something else!

I hope he gets Blackberry Farm to cater next year, I'll ditch the family for that for sure :biggrin:

I like the shots of Thunderhead. First is the David Knapp pose followed by the pose of Mac with the biggest fish he has ever landed, then finally my pose with one of my monster Brookies:biggrin:

MadisonBoats
01-03-2014, 10:21 AM
As anyone can see in the following photos, this New Year's tradition is a very serious and solemn event held with the dignity it so richly deserves. The new Metcalf Bottoms location was the perfect setting for the afternoon of reelin, chillin and grillin!

After a quick photo shoot with some esteemed members we started the afternoon's events

Excuse me do you have a Marlboro, no but we have a couple of Winston's,
Paula, note the 5wt on the right, it might look familiar to you!

Thunderhead reported his catch, which we immediatley questioned!:confused:

After further questioning he adjusted his catch report :frown:

Finally under threat of removal from the park area he adjusted his estimate!:mad:

However because we are old and cranky without a nap we awarded him the Official New Year's Day "HERB'S WELDING SHOP" hat, so we could eat dinner. He still does not know it was based on being "MS CONGENIALITY".

After much discussion and a full nelson Thunderhead agreed to relenquish the hat to start a new tradition of handing it down like the Stanley Cup or
until we forget where we put it each year or lose it.

Dinner complete with a dessert of fine cigars and Makers, rounded out the day. Hey did you know if you spit Makers on a fire you can lose your eyebrow's. good thing we bought those glasses! :biggrin:

Sunset over Townsend on New Year's day completed the evening. I hope next year to increase the numbers attending and invite everyone to next year's. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2014 and many days of fishing!

Excellent! What a fabulous time and fun adventure! Good job fellas!

Mac
01-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Excellent,

After reading your report I felt like I was right there with you guys. What a great way to start a new year out in the field enjoying the day in the Smokys. Thanks for taking the time to post a wonderful tradition.

P.S.
Ducky, you know I am a bigger liar than Thunderhead :redface:

Thunderhead8
01-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I hope he gets Blackberry Farm to cater next year, I'll ditch the family for that for sure :biggrin:

I like the shots of Thunderhead. First is the David Knapp pose followed by the pose of Mac with the biggest fish he has ever landed, then finally my pose with one of my monster Brookies:biggrin:

Ducky, We considered Blackberry Farm catering the event, but those chefs over there just get a blank look on their face when you mention hot dogs.

duckypaddler
01-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Ducky, We considered Blackberry Farm catering the event, but those chefs over there just get a blank look on their face when you mention hot dogs.

You just need to know how to talk their language. If you called them a specialty bratwurst or meat patte'

They might look at little different than you are used to though

http://www.buzzfeed.com/wallstreetjournal/the-10-most-decedent-gourmet-hot-dogs-from-around-354z

tnflyfisher
01-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Great idea... wish I could have made it!!
So how about we devote the first Saturday of every month and call them our 'Metcalf Meetings' for anyone who happens to be available to say hey, try to catch a fish, eat some lunch, tie some flies, etc... ??

Just an idea but could be cool if it catches on... however, I'm not trying to take away from the uniqueness of a New Year's Day bash. That could still be a wild and crazy party as it looks like it was... :biggrin:

Tight Lines,

b_vanfossen
01-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Hey Bigsur-

This is Brian from the picture.

I highly recommend this trip for anyone next year. People are super nice- John has a great setup and makes excellent Coffee!

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r487/bigsur06/20140101_141441_zpsc9102d42.jpg

Thunderhead8
01-04-2014, 11:23 PM
You just need to know how to talk their language. If you called them a specialty bratwurst or meat patte'

They might look at little different than you are used to though

http://www.buzzfeed.com/wallstreetjournal/the-10-most-decedent-gourmet-hot-dogs-from-around-354z

Actually, we did try a different approach and asked for "cubed spam and Grey Poupon with some of them frilly toothpick thingys" and got that same blank stare. Where are they from anyway??? At any rate, we quickly recognized the cultural divergence, and burnt the winnies ourselves. ;-)

Sandman
01-05-2014, 06:21 PM
I missed out on the New Year fishing, but went out yesterday for my New Year karma. Caught one little guy and froze but it was fun.