PDA

View Full Version : Reel Recommendation

lexfly
01-02-2014, 01:33 PM
I recently came into a G Loomis Stream Dance rod. (6 wt., fast action, for high speed line?). It is a much nicer rod than I have ever had, but now I need a reel to go with it. I have never paid more than $50 for a reel so I am out of my element when it comes to finding a reel that matches the rod. Any suggestions?

David Knapp
01-02-2014, 01:58 PM
How much are you looking to spend? I like the Waterworks Lamson reels. Recently I purchased a Litespeed which is extremely light weight. I also have a Guru and used to have a Velocity. Speaking of the Velocity, LRO has it on sale right now (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=18756&cat=756&page=1). It is a great large arbor reel with a super smooth drag.

Stonefly
01-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Another vote for Lamson. Also Nautilus at slightly less cost, if you can find one. They've had production problems that kept supply difficult.

steve

irfishing
01-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I have a Lamson Litespeed as well as a Ross Evolution reel. Both fantastic; however if you are interested in one a step or two down in price take a look at the Orvis Mid-Arbor reel. I have used one for several years and it is a solid performer. JMO

flyred06
01-02-2014, 09:09 PM
nautilus fwx for around $250.00 no other option unless spending big $ and then I would go able

billyspey
01-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Lamson speedster large arbor for fast line pick up narrow spool , light weight really have enjoyed mine.

MadisonBoats
01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
I believe I would look at a clean-used Orvis Reel for that rod!-[Ebay] As billyspey posted; definitely look at a large arbor reel! Look at things like drag and durability. Since you are still sorting out reels and trying to find your favorite; I would try investing in a couple nice-used models to learn more about them. Once you find your brand and style; invest in a new one when you get the desire or a new rod.:biggrin:

lexfly
01-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I've got a lot of research to do. I really don't have an idea on the price range as I am just starting to look. The most I've ever spent on one was in the $50 to $75 range I think but since I got the rod for free I can splurge a bit. :smile:

tnflyfisher
01-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Two reels not mentioned here but certainly worth looking at IMO, especially considering your budget, are the Okuma SLV and the Echo Ion. The Okuma is usually less than $60 and the Ion can be found for around $80. Both the Okuma and Ion reels are used with great success by steelhead anglers who were also looking for a less expensive reel alternative...

Tight Lines,

Stonefly
01-04-2014, 02:32 PM
I know Echo makes quality stuff. I think their Ion reel is solid. Don't know much about Okuma. What you get with Lamson and Nautilus is a much lighter reel.

steve

MadisonBoats
01-05-2014, 09:39 AM
I recently came into a G Loomis Stream Dance rod. (6 wt., fast action, for high speed line?). It is a much nicer rod than I have ever had, but now I need a reel to go with it. I have never paid more than $50 for a reel so I am out of my element when it comes to finding a reel that matches the rod. Any suggestions?

Forgot to mention balance after reading some replies. The weight of the reel combined with the weight of the rod makes a huge difference in my opinion. I like a balanced rig for the rod specifications you posted. However; the biggest key is looking at a large arbor to make for a sweet rig.

lexfly
01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Is there a way to determine if you have a good balance without loading a reel with flyline and putting it on the rod? E.g. a formula or rule of thumb of some kind?

tnflyfisher
01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Here is a suggestion... maybe try and find a local fly shop who might have some demo reels rigged up for a 6wt. Try them out on your rod and bring along a little digital scale to weigh the reel. This way you could at least get a weight reference to see if you think you need to go heavier or lighter in order to achieve your desired balance. Also make sure to leave the head out of the rod tip to get the most accurate feel...

Tight Lines,

MadisonBoats
01-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Is there a way to determine if you have a good balance without loading a reel with flyline and putting it on the rod? E.g. a formula or rule of thumb of some kind?

Lexfly,
This is actually something that takes experience with various setups to identify quickly. However; most people should be able to feel the balance of the rod + reel in their hand and see if it is comfortable. Ideally; you want the hand-hold spot to be the (natural) pivot-point of your rod. The rod should feel very neutral while holding at this point (not too heavy in back or front).

You really need to have the reel loaded as well to feel this ideal. Dialing in a balanced rig is not a rule; but, makes a big difference in an elegant cast with efficiency.

Hope this helps and does not confuse. Do not worry too much about it. Do your best and learn. That is the fun part about FF. Nothing is perfect for everyone and all that matters is you have fun safely!

lexfly
01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Thx guys. I figured it was more of a thing you have to experience to know but thought I'd ask. I hadn't thought about taking my rod to the shop to test how it feels. I will do that. Leaning toward the Lamson litespeed 2 at the moment. I have a Ross Flywater 1 for my 3 wt which I love so I will check them, Okuma and the others out as well.

billyspey
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
You could put some pennies in a zip lock bag attach this to the butt end of your rod to feel the balance for your rod. Figure the weight of the pennies convert weight for a reel & line . You have it . Personally I like my rod to balance in first 2 or 3 cork rings of my rod. 30 ft of line out the tip will change the balance point.

Stonefly
01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
If you want to try that method, a Nautilus FWX 5/6 with WF6F weighs 5.9 oz. An Orvis large arbor III w/WF-200S weighs 6.4 oz. A Lamson Velocity 2.0 w/WF6F weighs 5.8 oz.

steve

lexfly
01-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Great ideas. I will report back how it works out. If it weren't for this pesky job thing, I could do it now. :smile: