PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to have a drink of water from the stream?

HuskerFlyFisher
03-11-2014, 05:52 PM
I was on Cosby Creek today and by 4 pm I was feeling mighty parched. Started having hallucinations. ;)

Sure wanted to drink a big drink of that crystal clear water.

Is it safe?

NDuncan
03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
no not really. Lower risk than most places but not "safe"

ifish4wildtrout
03-11-2014, 06:52 PM
I would not drink the water from the streams without filtering it or treating it. I would not drink straight from the stream unless it was a survival situation and I had no choice.

waterwolf
03-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Sure, have a big glass it's fine :biggrin: unless you like leaving the bathroom for extended periods. If you're ready to move the tv into the head, than by all means drink up.

Redhound55
03-11-2014, 08:41 PM
I would recommend a Life Straw water filter. They fit nice in a vest or pack and do not require another container; drink straight from the stream. Best of all they don't break the bank (around $21) or so and available from most camping/survival outlets.

Tyler

softhackle
03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I was on Cosby Creek today and by 4 pm I was feeling mighty parched. Started having hallucinations. ;)

Sure wanted to drink a big drink of that crystal clear water.

Is it safe?

I remember my graduate school days at UT back in the 70's and we used to drink water directly some streams in the Park. Looking back on it this not one of the smartest things I've done. None of us ever got sick but, I think that was just dumb luck.
I would not drink directly from any stream in the park. I would bring some kind of filtering system or disinfection tablets with me.

No Hackle
03-12-2014, 10:25 PM
A good friend of mine did. He was sick for the most part of a month and lost about forty pounds. So NO! Your better off taking your chances with dehydration.
Lynn

billyspey
03-13-2014, 06:56 AM
Old Indian saying. If water flows over 9rocks it safe to drink. NO !

dwardmba
03-14-2014, 06:25 AM
For a while I have carried about two liters of water in canteens and bottles. This past winter I decided to get some sort of water filtration device. You only thought picking a flyrod was complicated. Pumps, UV pins, straws, bottles, gravity assisted flow through filters. Google outdoor gear lab, go to their camping / back packing gear reviews. They do a good job breaking it down. There are solutions all across the budget / complexity spectrum.

Don Kirk
03-14-2014, 07:22 AM
I have always drank from the streams of the Smokies. One part water, one part likker. Always felt better after drinking than before drinking. Try it, it works.

duckypaddler
03-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Freddie occasionally drinks from the stream when we are out fishing. He hasn't had a problem, but I wouldn't risk it.

The description of giardia by the guy who wrote the Joyce Kilmer/ Citico Creek hiking book was enough of a discouragement to ever have me try it.

I have been carrying a small UV pen the last 3 years. It the heavier one (6oz) but works on small lipped bottles. Just fill up when you run empty. Total weight is less than carrying one quart of water.

Also the UV kills norovirus while much heavier pump filters leave you vulnerable. Something to consider as outbreaks just North of the Smokies happened last year on AT. Also for all you alcohol germaphobes the norovirus feeds on alcohol, so you are better off using soap:smile:

Rog 1
03-14-2014, 11:14 AM
I still have the collapsible plastic cup that my grandfather carrying in his vest...I can still remember him standing in the middle of Tremont dipping water right out the stream to drink on a hot summer day....now I carry a straw and a small bottle of water.

rivergal
03-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Years ago a park ranger told me you could find water in azalea galls to survive. Drinking stream water contaminated by wild hogs is not very appetizing.

duckypaddler
03-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Years ago a park ranger told me you could find water in azalea galls to survive.

You are correct. They taste kind of like a grapes

volfisher
03-19-2014, 06:10 PM
I've always heard that whitewater is safe....