PDA

View Full Version : Double bladed paddle length for solo canoe?

Stana Claus
03-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Learning of the pending demise of the trusty old Royalex canoe (posted here (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17404)) helped me get off the fence and go ahead with the purchase of a Old Town Guide 119 for solo smallie fishing. To go along with this purchase, I am planning to buy a double bladed paddle, but have no idea what length to get. My Google searches have turned up recommendations for everything from 240cm to 280cm, (which is more than a 2' difference) and I don't know which way to go.

Some points to consider:
I'm 6' tall and almost that wide (not really, but let's go with "large framed");
The Old Town Guide 119 is 31" at the beam;
I plan to move the seat forward closer to the mid-line of the canoe and maybe drop it an inch or two lower than it comes from the factory;
When paddling my 16' tandem canoe I usually use a 53" straight-shaft, T-grip paddle.

So, those of you who have some experience using double bladed paddles with solo canoes, what length would you recommend I get?

Stana Claus
03-28-2014, 09:15 PM
OK, so I guess the Guide isn't actually a Royalex boat (it's triple layer polyethylene), but I'm still glad I got off the fence and made a purchase decision. And I still need to figure out what size paddle to get. Any help in that regard will be appreciated.

Grumpy
03-28-2014, 10:29 PM
If you were looking for a yak paddle, the 240 would be right for your height & that boat width.
Being in the canoe, you'd be sitting higher & will need a extra length to get to the water.
Checkout Bending Branches paddles, they have an adjustable(length) fiberglass paddle that is sweet.
We have 2 Royalex in our store, a 12 & 16, if i weren't a big yak fan, i'd have that 12'r.

Grumpy

duckypaddler
03-29-2014, 07:58 AM
I'd say 220-240 would be good. You are welcome to come by and try various lengths and figure out what you want be good for you. I should have all lengths between 210- 250.

I hope you get more use than I get from my canoe I bought from CinciVol:rolleyes: