PDA

View Full Version : Fly rod for the Park?

tntom
03-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Don't need but want a new rod for the Park I want a 8' 4wt I am looking at a Redington Classic Trout. Anyone ever fished one? And if not the Redington what do you like?

Tom

ifish4wildtrout
03-29-2014, 08:20 PM
In my opinion, in that price range of a rod, I would highly recommend TFO Pro Series or step up to the BVK. They are excellent fly rods and come with an outstanding warranty. However, its all up to personal choice. You will get just about as many opinions as there are fly rod manufacturers.

2weightfavorite
03-30-2014, 08:27 AM
The classic trout is a terrible rod. Broke them time and again Always at the tip...prob had 7 or 8 breaks. I now have 2 broken classic trouts in my garage cause I refuse to send them back yet again. Redington used to make good stuff....not anymore. Waders, boots and rods...they all don't last

2weightfavorite
03-30-2014, 09:08 AM
I will say that the tfo and st Croix rods have done me well and I love my Ross rods. I guided for years with the st Croix imperial rod in a 8'6" 4 at. I like how soft they are. The Fuller flex allows for easier short roll casts and of course makes smaller fish feel larger ;)

chechem
03-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I agree: TFO.

But if you're buying for the park, I'd add that I use a 9' TFO most of the time.
I used to fish an 8' or 8.5' rod, but the Smokies are more about short, directed casts or high-sticking nymphs; better done with a 9' rod (~5 wt).

Now, folks are going to say buy a 3-wt, 5-wt, and such. But I find that I use the 9' rod 90% of the time.

Those mountain-laurel limbs still grab my flies, but less often it seems. And now I catch more fish too. ;)

2weightfavorite
03-30-2014, 11:57 AM
I do agree with the 9 footer....I use a 10' 5 at in the winter and high water to nymph with...even with an indicator the longer rods sure make a difference..

tntom
03-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Is a 4 pc better in case you want to pack it in?

Tom

ifish4wildtrout
03-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Is a 4 pc better in case you want to pack it in?

Tom

Absolutely, at least for backpacking

NDuncan
03-30-2014, 03:13 PM
I like my 8' 9" TFO 3 wt in the park. Going up to 9' would be good but tfo doesn't have a 3 wt that long. I had a wild water 3 wt that I got on amazon that was a full 9' liked it ok but doesn't cast as well as the tfo and now it's underwater anyway

tlshealy
03-30-2014, 03:13 PM
4 pc is always better for transport. Longer is better for the park. I bought a 7'6" TFO for places like Cataootchee and Cosby that have a lot of overhead cover, but 9 times out of 10 I will use my 9' TFO. My next rod will be a 10 foot BVK.
Tad

The Principal
03-30-2014, 03:25 PM
4wt 8ft TFO is a great rod for the park. I use a 4 piece Professional.

surfdog
03-30-2014, 05:26 PM
I purchased the 4 wt tfo bvk 8'6" for the park 3 trips ago and could not be happier. handles dry , dry/dropper and bh nymphs with ease

fishhead
04-01-2014, 09:24 AM
I bought a Winston Passport 2-1/2 years ago to fish most all the wild streams (park included) 9'5wt 4pc. has what they call a progressive taper. couldn't be happier with it. it's tough, light and responsive. dries, dry/dropper 2 nymph rigs, roll cast great. has great touch....it's a great rod for the money.
not made in USA... but neither is TFO
Fishhead

Bill M.
04-01-2014, 12:23 PM
I fish a 4 wt rod in the park often. But I often fish it with a 5 wt line. Lots of wind and some bushy flies and short casts. I always keep a 5 wt and a 4 wt line in my vest when I leave the car for a good distance.

mattblick
04-04-2014, 11:51 AM
I agree with all the long rod recommendations. My 3# is 8'6" and 4# is 9'.

I have the 8'6" 3# 4 piece Classic Trout and it has served me well. No reliability issues; perhaps that is because I only manage to catch minnows.

The TFO finesse and BVK are not in the same price range as the CT; ~$40 and ~$90 more expensive. Byron and Paula don't carry the CT though, so that is a negative. Just have to compensate with other items; new Chota boots perhaps?

A lot of people like super fast rods and the CT is not. I enjoy fishing slower pace rods, especially in the small streams in the park backcounty; TFO isn't for me. I've been eyeballing some of the new glass rods hitting the market, I don't own a 2#............yet. :biggrin:

tntom
04-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Ended up with a TFO Pro Series II 8'6" 3wt. Put a new 4 wt line on my Orvis Battenkill II at LRO where I got the rod and went fishing. Had a good day in the park. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for the help.

Tom

chechem
04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Ended up with a TFO Pro Series II 8'6" 3wt. Put a new 4 wt line on my Orvis Battenkill II at LRO where I got the rod and went fishing. Had a good day in the park. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for the help.

Tom

Pics of the fish?? Come on, we're starving here! :biggrin:

tntom
04-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Pics of the fish?? Come on, we're starving here! :biggrin:

Sorry!! I have slipped on taking pictures. I also love to see the pics of peoples trips. I will do better next trip.

Tom

MadisonBoats
04-22-2014, 07:26 AM

Tom

That is an excellent set-up. I think you will be very happy with it. Glad you got what you wanted/needed.

Stonefly
04-22-2014, 12:05 PM
That new Battenkill is a very nice reel for reasonable money. Just the thing for the mountains - no need for large arbor or hi-tech drag. I have a couple of glass rods in 2 and 3 weight; with the Battenkill reels they are perfect for the smaller streams.

steve

tntom
04-22-2014, 09:05 PM
That new Battenkill is a very nice reel for reasonable money. Just the thing for the mountains - no need for large arbor or hi-tech drag. I have a couple of glass rods in 2 and 3 weight; with the Battenkill reels they are perfect for the smaller streams.

steve

Mine is about 5 years old I also have a 7;6" 4wt glass rod. I bought it for that rod it is a perfect reel for the park.

Tom