PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a fast-action rod on trout streams?

gone_phishing
03-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Hello all. I've got a question about rod action.

A few years back I bought a Reddington CPX rod. I lived in Oregon at the time and fished some large rivers, and the rod fit me well.

I've lived in Knoxville for about 10 months now and have been learning how to fish the smokies. Love it so far, and my rod has done fine for me, probably because I've become used to it. Anyhow, I broke it this weekend while out there. So I contacted Reddington to get a replacement, and they no longer make the rod I had. So they're sending me one of these:

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/vapen/

I've been reading reviews about it, and am becoming aware that this is not the rod of choice for the small streams that I fish here...but I'm not at a point where I want to spend that cash on a slow or medium action rod.

So long story short...I want to see other's opinions on fishing fast action rods on small streams. Pros? Cons? Will I even notice it? I've read one review that says fast action rods are bad at casts less than 20' and bad at roll casts. Hope thats not the case, since those are both bread-and-butter casts.

Thanks for any advice/info!

Andrew

No Hackle
03-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Andrew I think it's a matter of preference. I'm not rod poor but this is my thoughts for my Smokys rods. In a three or four weight I like a faster rod. My five and my favorite is a medium fast and my six is near a medium. My five is a a great all around for me. It'll fish large dries all the way down to midges and it's a great nymphing rod. I probley didn't help you any just my two cents.
Lynn

Bill M.
04-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Get in in a 4 wt. Use a 5 wt on it for the park. Use a 4 wt on it in the Clinch. Should work just fine.

gone_phishing
04-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Get in in a 4 wt. Use a 5 wt on it for the park. Use a 4 wt on it in the Clinch. Should work just fine.

I was considering this. Thanks for the advice.

David Knapp
04-01-2014, 09:12 PM
I fish a fast action rod quite a bit in the Park. It is my go-to choice on medium to larger streams if I am throwing nymphs or streamers, or fishing dry flies on larger pools were longer casts are required. For smaller water though nothing beats a slower rod in my opinion. As mentioned above though that is largely personal preference...