PDA

View Full Version : bicycles

hungNtree
04-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Does anyone know if it is ok to lock your bike up to a tree in the park? Let me explain my situation and see if you guys can help me out. I love to fish the park! I have a wife and small son though that usually go for other stuff in the park. Like gatlinburg. Anyway, i havehad them drop me off for a day of fishing before. And when i get back to where they are supposed to pick me up, i inevittably wind up sitting and waiting on them. My idea was to bring my bike. Then i would have transportation, and not have to sit and wait on them. This leads me to 2 problems. First, i want to be sure my bike will be there when i get back. Second, how am i going to ride a bike with my fly rod. I think i can rig up a tube for my bike. But i am not sure about how the rangers will take me locking my bike to a tree. Are there places to lock up a bike? As many times as i have been to the park i can't remember.

Thanks in advance,
hNt

MadisonBoats
04-28-2014, 06:41 AM
I would check with the park office first and explain your situation. If ok; be sure to tape a nice contact label on the bike for someone to reach in case there is a problem. Oh; get an ugly-cheap bike with a good lock.:biggrin:

duckypaddler
04-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know if it is ok to lock your bike up to a tree in the park? Let me explain my situation and see if you guys can help me out. I love to fish the park! I have a wife and small son though that usually go for other stuff in the park. Like gatlinburg. Anyway, i havehad them drop me off for a day of fishing before. And when i get back to where they are supposed to pick me up, i inevittably wind up sitting and waiting on them. My idea was to bring my bike. Then i would have transportation, and not have to sit and wait on them. This leads me to 2 problems. First, i want to be sure my bike will be there when i get back. Second, how am i going to ride a bike with my fly rod. I think i can rig up a tube for my bike. But i am not sure about how the rangers will take me locking my bike to a tree. Are there places to lock up a bike? As many times as i have been to the park i can't remember.

Thanks in advance,
hNt

As long as you just riding bike on road and not on the trail you should be ok. Yes I would lock it up, but more importantly would hide it good. If the trailhead is on one side of road go to other and hide 50 yards in woods out of sight to everyone. I know many people who solo boat the Smokies and stashing your gear while you shuttle is part of that equation.

The only REALLY SCARY part is that with the high touron to good driver ratio:eek: Don't get hit

Rog 1
04-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Just cannot ride them on any of the trails....but they will let horses travel these same trails to no end...go figure. Good advice about hiding the bike...this time of year with the foilage out shouldn't be much of a problem...just lay it down and lock the frame to the tree. As for carrying....a rod tube and some electrical tape...we have always been able to tape the rod case to the frame tube without any problems.

chechem
04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Be sure to lock it securely. I once saw a Black Bear riding a bicycle at a circus! :biggrin:

hungNtree
04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Be sure to lock it securely. I once saw a Black Bear riding a bicycle at a circus! :biggrin:

LOL that's a good one!

Thunderhead8
04-28-2014, 06:10 PM

OK, I admit it, that made me laugh out loud.