PDA

View Full Version : Hazel Creek

hw3
08-06-2014, 04:29 PM
What is the latest time in the fall anyone has been to Hazel Creek? A friend is coming in for Thanksgiving, and we are considering the FRI before to stage at Fontana, and go in SAT and stay for a few days. Does the party barge run that late in the year? My latest trip has been SEP, and it was great as there were not that many folk in the park, and was not too cold. Any and all assistance greatly appreciated. Skip Watson

lexfly
08-07-2014, 09:36 AM
I have been in mid/late October and I know some have been in November. However, I think u should call the Fontana marina. Last year when we went they said they would be drawing the lake down to work on the dam and they would not be able to do any shuttles this fall to the mouth of hazel. I don't know when that is supposed to start and end or if they will be able to get to their secondary spot in a different cove but that would be my first call.

hw3
08-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Lexfly: THX; is that lex as in Lexington? Been here since 1966, but for US Army and LVL for a bit. Are you in TU? Skip Watson

lexfly
08-10-2014, 09:14 AM
I am n Lexington ky and a member of tu. I was born and raised here, left and came back n 94. I don't get to the meetings (or much fishing) as I have 2 kids 13 and 15 that keep me running up and down the roads most of my free time. I did help sandy broughman with the releasing of trout for TIC last year for my sons school but that is all the tu involvement I have had. How about you?

lexfly
09-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Just an FYI. I called the Fontana marina and they did not draw the lake down this year so the shuttle is still running.

hw3
11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Trip in real trouble; apparently all campsites above Proctor closed due to bear activity. Not sure I even want to stay at Proctor if everything upstream is dicey. Do not worry but about having to put one down if too close. And then there is night time and foraging thru campsite. May be a bridge too far this fall.

Skip

lexfly
11-10-2014, 01:32 PM
We camped at Sawdust pile the weekend of 10-16. Water was very high. We caught fish though with the biggest being 12 inches. My buddy even got a smokey slam on the last day. Did not see any bears, but one guy at Sugar Fork did. There was a guy at bone valley with his dog and another guy that camped wherever he felt like (on the stream bank above bone valley and then he moved down to an island above sawdust pile). Unfortunately, that is the only time I haven't seen a ranger on Hazel. We also passed about 15 college kids going to bone valley on the way out. I would think all of those factors probably led to the sites getting closed. I think we will try something a little less popular next year.