View Full Version : Stripers in Middle Tennessee
01-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I am trying to find a spot for stripers in the Nashville area. I do not have a boat so was looking towards the tailwaters. I was told by one fisherman to try below Percy Priest but another fisherman said it was a waste of time. I have a spey outfit that I am anxious to give a try. Anyone have any recommendations?
01-10-2006, 09:48 AM
I would call Jay Clemente at Gamefair in Nashville or go by and see him. The store is located near the Highway 70 and 100 intersection. Jay is the fly fishing manager there and he is an expert striper fisherman and a good guy.
You might check with Ronnie at Cumberland Transit. I have caught a couple of small ones at the Gallatin Steam Plant while playing with the skipjacks, but you have to have a boat.
01-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Byron and T1, Thanks for the response. I am familiar with both stores. I'll check with them for advise.
01-23-2006, 03:21 PM
for stripers in nashville area:(hybrids too.)
1) wait til water temp percy priest lake is at least 48 deg. with normal winter about second week of march.
2) check weather forcast for wind direction during the time you're allotted to fish.
3) check map of the lake and find points where you'll be casting into the wind. a south or southwest wind is usually best, east or southeast next. you always want the wind in the face or quartering.
4) wade to where only the fifth or sixth whitecap comes over the top of your waders.
5) white or cream colored streamers. buctails with some flash.
01-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the detailed response. Hybrids are good 8-)! I'll keep watch on the weather.
06-08-2006, 05:34 PM
the only time i have seen stripers in the tailwaters was watching them chase the freshly stocked trout in the stones river a few years back
the gallatin steam plant has decent spring striper fishing if you have a boat...can you still access it by foot? i heard they had cut off access. i did not enjoy my one wading trip.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.