PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Alabama Flyfisher

J.Hightower
01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/hytyer/IMG_0719.jpg
This is my first time to this board...looks good....I have visited your shop several times over the past two years....and just wanted to tell you it has been the best shop I have been in....the products you sell and the people selling it are top notch....see yall this spring ... thanks j.Hightower

bamafly
01-16-2006, 02:23 AM
hey J

where do you live?

I am in Athens.

J.Hightower
01-16-2006, 03:57 PM
I live about 40... 45 miles north of B'ham.....Gardencity area

bamafisherlady
01-16-2006, 08:55 PM
That picture looks like a trout that might have been caught from below Smith Dam. Those rocks are familiar. Am I correct?

J.Hightower
01-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Yes bamafisherlady I caught this fish in the Sipsey...over the Christmas Holidays..I get to slip off there about a dozen times a year...mostly during the cold months

Hawgdaddy
01-17-2006, 09:23 AM
I love having that place (Sipsey Fork) so close to home. I actually fly fished for trout for a couple of years before being extremely surprised to learn that we had a trout tailwater here in Alabama. Good to see so many folks from Alabama here on the board,

hawgdaddy

canyon65
01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
I would have never guessed that was a Sipsey fish - unbelievable color on it. I haven't fished up there in two years, but I caught my first trout there! Seems like back then the fish had very little color - maybe the hatchery is shipping some different bloodlines now. My problem with the Sipsey is the drive-time. I live in Gadsden, and I can be on the Hiwassee in 2 1/2 hours if I hit the traffic in Chattanooga right. With an almost two-hour drive to the Sipsey, I find myself looking North when I want to do a kamikaze day-trip. I still wish I could make myself fish the Sip more!

jr
01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Hiya to all

Yet another Ala Fly, I live in Gadsden ;D

Was in Smokies last weekend, spent some money at LRO, weather to nasty to fish. Had a great time anyway :)

jr *

J.Hightower
01-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Canyon65 most of the fish I have caught in the Sipsey look like this...... I havent caught many of real colorful ones
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/hytyer/th_IMG_0724.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/hytyer/IMG_0724.jpg)
Click on the picture to make larger

robinma
02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Its great to see so many alabamians here, I just recently found out that there is trout in our state ( I haven't been fishing to long to know anyway.) *I have been driving up to the elk outside of Lynchburg to fish my friends hunting camp for the past year though the sipsey is a lot closer to me at school in Auburn. *can any of yall give me an idea on where to fish below the smith lake dam? *I am planning on going in a couple of weeks once midterms are over, I think I will need a break then. *
My home is in Huntsville
War Eagle.

canyon65
02-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Its great to see so many alabamians here, I just recently found out that there is trout in our state ( I haven't been fishing to long to know anyway.) *I have been driving up to the elk outside of Lynchburg to fish my friends hunting camp for the past year though the sipsey is a lot closer to me at school in Auburn. *can any of yall give me an idea on where to fish below the smith lake dam? *I am planning on going in a couple of weeks once midterms are over, I think I will need a break then. *
My home is in Huntsville
War Eagle.

Welcome robinma! I'm from Gadsden and don't get up to the Sipsey as much as I should. My buddy dblhaul hits it pretty hard when I'm not dragging him to the Hiwassee or Noontootla. To my recollection, most of the year you can find pods of fish between the pump station and the big elbow just below the dam pool. That's not to say that you won't find fish downstream between the pump station and the bridge, but they don't seem to be as concentrated there. I fished the Elk once last year and had a ball - I want to get up there more this year.

bamafisherlady
02-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Just posted on the Flyfishing/Trout in Other States message board when I saw your post in New Members. Alabama is well represented here. Probably because we can't fish as much as our friends to the north, we just love reading about it!!

Anyway, if you'll read the post about the Sipsey River, it'll give you some more information. The chemical plant in that post is the same as the pumping station in this post.

Happy fishing! 8-)