PDA

View Full Version : More Questions About Wading Abrams

canyon65
02-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Is there a good place down the Abrams Falls Trail to drop into the gorge below the Big Shoe so that I can fish my way back upstream? If so, what landmark should I look for?

Hugh Hartsell
02-02-2006, 05:25 PM
:) Hello Canyon, I say this to you with my tongue in my cheek and a slightly raised eyebrow because of the way you posed the question. Do be sure that you have someone with you!!!!!!
Go down the trail until you cross the second hump (mountain). Continue down the other side until you come to the creek again. This is where you will get in the water to fish back to the upper side of the horseshoe. Be prepared to wade and fish for 8-9 hours. Be sure you have the essential safety things with you. Start early and have a good trip. Don't try this before April or MAY. YOU MAY NOT HAVE ENOUGH DAYLIGHT TO MAKE THE TRIP.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

hw3
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Have to concur with prior post. I have slid down the hill on my behind, but really do not recommend it. Started where the trail makes sharp right around contour line around and above a draw that is intermittent. Only tried this once, got there late, but did have a good long stretch to fish. Bottom is trecherous, as many slabs of rock are tipped at a steep angle in the stream. Is some slipperyness, but I found biggest problem irregular bottom that is very unforgiving. Do not be dissuaded: rainbows are there and like about everything.
HW3

canyon65
02-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I most definitely would NOT wade Abrams alone - just read my harrowing tale in the other Abrams thread here! Scary to have a big widowmaker tree fall into the gorge almost on top of you. I believe I know where Hugh means about accessing the creek after crossing the second ridge on the Abrams Falls Trail. This wade would definitely call for busting butt into the Cove when the gate opens, and hustling down the trail on a day with plenty of daylight. I may try it later this year, but it sounds tough. :-/
Camping in the Cove and travelling by mountain bike might allow a man to get a little earlier start on the trail I'm thinkin'.

robinma
02-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Is this area yall are talking about the same as the Spring Creek section? We were hoping to fish the Spring Creek section over spring break but don't really know where it is.

David Knapp
02-12-2006, 11:45 PM
This is not the spring creek section. The spring creek section is upstream from the Abram's Falls trailhead and on up into the cove. This section is not hard to get to but it is challenging nevertheless. When you park at the Abram's Falls parking lot, walk down to the bridge over the creek. If you follow the trail downstream, you will be following the section of stream that is more freestone in nature. If you go upstream, you will be fishing the spring creek section. Hope this helps...

David

robinma
02-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes that helps a lot, thank you

Billy
03-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the board and am getting very helpful information from the prior posts I've viewd. *Thank you! *I have a question regarding hiking from the Cades Cove loop down to the horseshoe. *I know the Loop is only open from sunrise to sunset, but does anyone know what happens if you don't make it back by sunset and your car is still at the trail head? *Also, does anyone know if there is any backcountry camping anywhere in that area so that I [my friend and I] could eliminate walking 5 miles in one day and maybe spread that across two days. *Thanks a lot for your help!

sammcdonald
03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
nearest back country campsite is #17 down on Little Bottom Trail and it is a good 5 miles from the Trailhead and 2.5 from the falls.
Remember, to use back country campsites, you must register prior to use. This can be done at any Ranger station. Back county sites have a mostly level spot, fire ring, and bear wire.

Hugh Hartsell
03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
:)Billy, I think that if you have a Back country permit and the Park Rangers are aware that you are on an extended trip, you can leave your car at the Abrams Falls Parking area, unless that has been changed. I don't recommend it for some ugly reasons. The closest backcountry campsites in walking range for Abrams use, are Rabbit Creek, #15 and Little Bottoms,#17. They are both several miles from the Big Horseshoe, but both are near some excellent fishing. I do recommend either of these sites. You need two or three days if you are going to fish out of them. Both will take you into some pretty isolated country. You need your best skills here. Good luck on your trip.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Duggie
03-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Hugh,

I guess I have to ask.......what are the ugly reasons??

Hugh Hartsell
03-26-2006, 05:47 PM
:) "Car breakins and other types of theft".
Hugh

Kytroutbum
03-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Billy- got caught in a very bad thunderstorm while in "in the shoe" and walked out in the dark. I WOULD NEVER GO IN WITHOUT SUPPLIES TO SPEND THE NIGHT. Got back to car at 11:00 -midnight had no problem getting out.

Little bottoms best accessed from Abram's Campground on edge of park.

Canyon 65 Mountain bikes are not allowed on the trails, so you'd have to park it at Trail head.I think you'd be better off time wise driving it.

Billy
03-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks a lot guys for your help! Yeah I was a little worried about leaving my car there for "break in" reasons and I didn't know if the Rangers would tow me or anything. It sounds like the best bet might be just to camp at the Cades Cove or Elkmont campgrounds and then just hike it early in the morning. Thanks again for your help and maybe I'll run into you guys in early May!

-Billy

tward1
03-26-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm planning a trip to the smokies this spring and was wondering what kind of break-ins you've seen in the park. *I wouldn't have thought theft would be a problem in a national park.

Kytroutbum
03-26-2006, 11:42 PM
I've never had any problems with break in's in the park. Could be because my stuff is junk ;D. Just try to park in open easily seen areas.
The tailwater guys on the southeasternflyfishingforum.com sound like they have major problems. Apparently the local law has problems with whose juristiction is what and the offenders getting slaps on the hand. I hope this doesn't carry over more into the park than it has.
I try not to carry a lot of gear in a car parked at a trailhead. If I am camping, I keep my extra rods, etc. in my tent or camper. I make it a practice to open rod tubes, tackle bags, etc so someone looking in would see they are empty. Watch were you park.
Randy Sale

Hugh Hartsell
03-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Tward, I don't want to dissuade you from coming to the Park with what I said. The situation at Abrams Creek has not been that bad, but it has happened occasionally in the past. The biggest thing that I was talking about is leaving a vehicle for several days while on an extended campover in the backcountry. The biggest factor is leaving lots of things that can be seen in the open, or leaving windows down while your on the stream. Just a little good judgement helps in these matters. It's not much different than leaving your car parked anywhere in a isolated area for a long period of time. Have a good time while your down here.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

sammcdonald
03-27-2006, 08:48 AM
tward...this is a wilderness park. few rangers, no lighted trailheads, isolated areas combine to give the thieves opportunity.

Woody
03-27-2006, 10:09 AM
I have been coming to East Tenn for over 30 years now and have never had a problem. I have heard some stories but fortunatly they are few and they took place in Pegion Forge during peak tourist season. To my knowledge there is no problem in the Park or the surrounding area to worry about. If you use common sence you will not have a problem.