PDA

View Full Version : Cookout???

3flies
02-21-2006, 08:32 PM
How many folks would be interested in getting together in Townsend or in the park for a cookout on a Friday evening and then hitting the streams on Saturday?
It would be a good oppurtunity to meet everybody and swap fish tales. We could pair up and fish together on Saturday.
PM or e-mail me and if there is enough interest we can get with Byron and see if he thinks it will float.
Just us ordinary fishers, no famous people or fly tying lessons. I was thinking in April or May. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Owl
02-22-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm in for that! I'm going to try and take a spring vacation in Townsend this year. Just name the date and I'm there! :)

owl

Paula Begley
02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
It's a party!!!!! .....we love a party :)

Hope you all will plan it....Just let us know if you get something together...

Paula

budman
03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm suprised there hasn't been a better response to this topic. I'd be down for some good time camping & fly fishing to celebrate the warmer weather that is fast approaching. A chance to learn from others that enjoy the outdoor opportunities that we all appreciate would be invaluable to the first-timers & I would think also to those that have been doing it for years. Just name the time and the place! :D

christopher
03-05-2006, 07:00 PM
YES..i would be interested in a camp/coolout/fihing weekend....Let me know when or where, so i can plan my weekend away

3flies
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Someone mentioned that this would be a good chance to learn from experience fisher persons. If we get enough interest we could try to pair up a beginner with an experienced fisher person. They would need to have thier own equipment and know some basic casting. I have taught several to fly fish to the point that they could catch fish on thier own. If there is not enough interest in a cookout and next day fishing trip I could meet with a few folks for breakfast and then fish that day. I am not a guide or professional and I am not trying to take away any business from LRO. This would be of interest to those who can't afford lessons at any rate. If you are out of state and want to come down for a get together let me know some dates that would fit your schedule.
Eddie

David Knapp
03-05-2006, 11:15 PM
It would be cool to meet some of ya'll and fish. Probably fishing on a Sunday would work better for me. Just let me know when and where!

David Knapp

3flies
03-06-2006, 07:50 AM
David,

Thanks for replying. I will let you know what is decided. Sundays are alright with me to. Some may not want to miss church, but we may be able to work something out.

By the time I finish speaking to everyone you may feel like you have been to church. I will not offend any non-believers. Just a few words about being responsible for our environment. Sound appropiate??

Eddie

ccmmcc
03-24-2006, 01:57 PM
I would be interested in a Party! I just read this post because I rarely look at the New Members area. I wonder if you would post in Smoky Mountain Park section if you would get a better response?

3flies
03-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Chris,
Good idea. I did'nt know where I should have posted. As the weather improves I will post again in SMP section to see if there is a better response.
Thanks.

terry stewart
03-25-2006, 04:49 PM
sounds fun let me know

thebig21
04-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Sounds great, I am new to East TN and really don't know anybody. Let me know the time and place and I'll be there with a smile.

Kytroutbum
04-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Let me know when you get a date! :)

kylemc
05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
sounded good what happend?

Kyle

russ
05-10-2006, 02:26 PM
i want to come! ;D

budman
01-19-2007, 06:28 PM
OK I'm going to bring it back up. Some of ya'll might recognize this from last year, I thought it was a good idea- I can always use a good excuse to sneak up to the mountains for an evening!!

buckeyetrouter
01-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm 6 1/2 hours away but would be very interested with plenty of lead time so I could adjust my schedule.....I do think it would be a great time of fellowship and learning from a bunch of talented folks...actually this should be done 2-3 times per year.....maybe spring, summer and fall (Octber?).....if there is enough interest I would be willing to assist in organizing......

thanks for bringing the subject up again
buckeyetrouter

DryFly1
01-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Great idea!

I will be in the mountains the first week of April and back in MAY(19th/20th) for Trout Fest. *Just wondering if we could schedule the cookout for trout fest weekend as many folks will be in town at that time? *Just a thought? *If not, will work something out.

DryFly1

Troutman
01-19-2007, 08:36 PM
The first week of April is also Easter week and the Sevier Co. school system is out for Spring Break. I do not know about Blount Co. The campgrounds in the park can get kind of crowded but the fishing is usually very good. I would suggest not scheduling a cookout over a Holiday weekend. I would like to do this though, The Little River TU chapter used to have a cookout and member fish with new member day, and it was alot of fun. Metcalf Bottoms has the best facility for group cookouts and it can be reserved. Make sure you bring your Quill Gordens and your favorite Dry fly rod!
Troutman

Kevin_Thomas
01-20-2007, 01:55 AM
I love this idea... I think it would be great if we did it around Troutfest. The turnout would be really good.

budman
01-20-2007, 05:13 AM
I think the weekend of Troutfest sounds good- maybe Sat afternoon since the dinner & auction is Fri night. Metcalf Bottoms is close to Townsend and Elkmont so that would work for people who are stayin in town or camping. keep the ideas coming!

ttas67
01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
count me in.

buckeyetrouter
01-20-2007, 10:44 AM
we are coming in for troutfest as a late mothers day.....so count us in also...

can anyone give me a contact to get tickets for the banquet if there are any left..

buckeyetrouter

Griff
01-20-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't know for sure that I'll be able to attend, I'll have to check my schedule. I think that we should do a group campout/cookout/fly fishing/fly tying weekend.

OLDBEAU
01-20-2007, 12:21 PM
I'M IN.....HAVEN'T FISHED THE LITTLE RIVER SINCE THEY BURNED THE "DAVY CROCKETT BARN"...1977???? 1980 ??
THANK YOU,
OLD BEAU
KNOXVILLE

mtnman2888
01-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a great idea! Way to go! I'm definitely in. Spring is the perfect time to go, too.

doghaircaddis
01-20-2007, 06:25 PM
sounds like a plan...

MTN_TRT
01-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Oh I wanna come! Kinda sounds like a PARTY to me! 8-) I love a party! Give me a date...

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

Baldeagle
01-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Sounds great to me!! My wife has said that she is going to be in Chicago during the weekend of Troutfest so that would be ideal for me. I already have four trips to the Smokies planned from Ohio so why not make it one more!! What campgrounds would you have for the main activities?

budman
01-21-2007, 01:54 PM
How does Saturday May 19th sound to everyone? I think the Metcalf Bottom pavilion sounds good - it can accomadate up to 70 people which should be plenty of room, & it ought to be convienent for those staying in town or camping. Unless anyone has any objections or other ideas I'll go ahead and reserve it. I'll post a reminder on the board once we get closer to the date & if anyone wants to help set up & cook etc. you can PM me.

DryFly1
01-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Sounds good to me!

What about food and beverages? *Any thoughts on how this is being taken care of. *Are we setting up a donation fund.( say minimum $10.00 or 20.00). *I realize the closer we get to that time the more accurate head count we will get. *And a make checks payable to and address with dead line.

Or, is this a bring your own food and beverage? *Any suggestions? *

DryFly

What about suggestions for menu?

1. Burgers and dogs
2. Whole cooked hog
3. Fish
4. Etc....

budman
01-21-2007, 04:38 PM
DryFly1- My initial thought on it is that we (myself & whoever volunteers to help ;)) could get the food (I was thinking burgers, dogs, potato sald, chips, etc) & supplies, then all save receipts to add up & split among whoever is able to come. I think it would probably be easier to let everyone bring their own choice of beverage. I think it would also be cool if we could talk Byron,Paula, & the gang from LRO up to this shindig with the offer of free food for them :o. Let me know what ya'll think

buckeyetrouter
01-21-2007, 05:00 PM
I think you are on the money Budman....knowing the number of people who will attend will give a better Idea of what to plan. Burgers/Dogs/Salads would be wonderful without getting too extravigant as this will be a food thing, but even more so it will be a intro and get to know everyone type of "fly fishing reunion" if you will.

Should you check with LRO and make sure they were not planning a similar event during this timeframe?

How are you going to get your sign up list of those who want to attend?

How far will this be from the Troutfest activities?

buckeyetrouter

Byron Begley
01-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey Guys,

We won't have anything planned special for Troutfest here at the shop but there will be a fundraiser banquet that you might want to attend. I think it will be on Friday night. Joe Hatton who is in charge of Troutfest just walked out of my office a few minutes ago. I think he will get on here some and keep you posted. As soon as we know all the details we'll have a special section on our website and a link to the Little River Chapter website. If you want to attend the banquet be sure to buy your tickets early before they sell out. They go fast. Anything we can do for the cookout just ask. If it doesn't conflict with the Troutfest Banquet, I'll be there. This sounds great!

Byron

DryFly1
01-21-2007, 08:13 PM
See you there gang,

Will be camping with my 4 yo son. This will be his first major mountain experience.
DryFly1

Flat Fly n
01-21-2007, 09:14 PM
DryFly,
Sounds like a great idea. Quick suggestion however. Buying food for 70 people would be a huge project. We have used Buddy's BBQ from K'town on several occations (I am not an owner or employee), and they do a great job of "all the BBQ one can eat and tha fixn's as they say for a reasonable price per head.

If you want to entertain this idea, let me know and I will help get a price, or someone for you to contact, and see if they can do it a Metcalf Bottoms if this is the final location.

Flat Fly'n

ttas67
01-22-2007, 02:49 AM
buddys is not a bad idea. I'd definitely like some bbq. also, this may be a little corny, but it would probably be a good idea if maybe everyone would wear a nametag with your boardname on it so we would know who everyone is. you'll know who I am because I'll be the guy standing in the stream hooking into all the fish. ;D

budman
01-22-2007, 05:54 AM
OK *It's a done deal- I have Metcalf Bottoms reserved for Sat May 19th in the 4-8 pm time slot!!

Flat Fly'n- hey the more responses we get on this the more I like your idea- I have been to many events where Buddy's has catered and they have always done a great job. I also like the idea because it would allow everyone more time on the water, instead of having to shop & prepare for what is looking like might be a pretty good size group. My only questions would be 1) will Buddy's cater up there? and 2) Is there any park service rule against having them do it? I would be interested in getting some feedback from everyone who has expressed an interest. For those who aren't familiar with Buddy's they are a local BBQ restaraunt who have been around Knoxville for about 30 years. They would probably serve BBQ pork & chicken, corn, baked beans, slaw, etc. Also for those wh aren't familiar with Metcalf Bottoms it is about 15 min from LRO going up Little River road towards Elkmont. What does everyone think?

budman
01-22-2007, 06:00 AM
ttas67- hey man I had the same *idea, but as as corny as it sounds it's not a bad idea :-[ Yea i won't be hard to spot either- I'll be the one scaring all the fish away trying to retreive my fly out of the tree- maybe you can help me fix that!

buckeyetrouter
01-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Buddy's sounds good.....this could easily become an annual tradition...Hey Budman, not sure about the bbq, thinking you should send me a sample plate ;) to Ohio this week ;) (already causing me to salivate....dang that Pavlov)

buckeyetrouter

DryFly1
01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Excellent Budman!

Buddy's sounds great. Can't go wrong with the Cue'

I like the annual tradition idea. We need a name? 1st annual _______?

Example: 1st annual Little River Fish and Feast. Anyone that wants to can post a name and the board can vote. We can give it say 3 days to post a name and on thursday I will post a new thread with the ideas for a vote.

DryFly1

Thunderhead8
01-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Party?!!! Did someone say party???!!! I could be persuaded to party and fish. Let me know the date.

ttas67
01-23-2007, 01:28 AM
first annual trout and kraut. first annual fish and dish. oohhh, I've got it! it should be the first annual cook and hook! that would probably be more appropriate if people were actually cooking, but it could work.

TroutDude
01-23-2007, 08:20 PM
If I can get someone to cover me at work I'd love to come down from Louisville. I tried to hit Troutfest last year but ... had to work. Keep me informed. Sounds great though!
Dude

mtnman2888
01-27-2007, 10:08 AM
So is the exact date saturday may 19th? OH NO :'(! My best friend is getting married that day and i'm the best man. That sucks, i was really wanting to go too. It sounds like a blast.

Vern
01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Sounds good to me, only problem I would forsee is that our younger memders would be still in school at that time. But if I can swing it Gaintfish and I can come up friday night after he gets out of school, lets see leaving West side of Nashville at 4:00 adds 1.5 hours to the trip. get to the campground at 10:00 est. This is do able. I would be willing to help.

budman
01-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Vern- hey the cookout isn't until Sat PM at 4 so ya'll ought to have time even if you left Sat AM. Just an FYI for everyone- I've got Metcalf Bottoms pavilion reserved for May 19th from 4-8. I need to make a call to a guy with park administration to make sure it's ok to have Buddy's cater the event ( he was off last week) then I'll call Buddy's back to lock them in for it (thanks Flat Fly n for your help!). But if everything is cool with the park guys then we're good to go, so everyone just plan on that day. Once it gets down a little closer to the date I'll need to get a firm headcount to pass along to Buddy's. Look forward to seein' everyone!

limbsnagger
01-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, definetly count me in on this thing! I'll need a months notice or better because I work in a hospital and I'm "on call" on alot of my days off. So the sooner we set a date in advance the better every one can make arrangements if needed. Great idea, supprised someone didn't think of it sooner.

Chad

limbsnagger
01-28-2007, 02:59 PM
I just realized that I read the first posting on this thread which was last year and wrote a reply. Sorry, I guess thats what happens when you've worked to many night shifts. Looks like you've already got a good date set for this thing. I'll try to make it but if I'm not there I hope you have a great time.

chad

Kevin_Thomas
01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm in... I just reserved a campsite at Little River Village for Fri & Sat. If you've not stayed there it's pretty neat. It was between there or Elkmont. I needed to keep my wife happy, so I decided to stay close to town. Make your reservation soon!

Kevin

jthatton
01-28-2007, 06:06 PM
For those of you who do not know me. I am Troutfest Chairman and the Newsletter editor for the Little River Chapter TU. Saturday May 19th the Troutfest will shutdown for the day at 6pm. We will have a food tent that could be use for the New Members Cookout. It could start around 7pm, that way it will give you time to get some fishing in or spend some time at the festival. We will also have a Food vendor that will be cooking BBQ during the festival, I am sure something can be work out with them to cater it. If this is something the group is interested in doing. Let Byron Begley or me know.

Hope to see you at the Festival
Joe Hatton

Kevin_Thomas
01-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Sounds like that could make things easy...

Joe, where can I pick up tickets for the Friday night dinner?

kytroutman
01-29-2007, 04:47 PM
redc4man, I don't think the order forms for the tickets are published yet. Go to the web site www.lrctu.org and double-check. The 2006 application was still there when I checked a couple of weeks ago.

TroutDude
01-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Have we come up with an offical name for this shindig? I've started to do a little design. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Dude

Kevin_Thomas
01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm open for whatever... I think a poll would be good though...

buckeyetrouter
02-06-2007, 06:16 PM
where do we stand guys.....really looking forward to this......

buckeye

Green Weenie
02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey, guys.

I live here in Knoxville and would be glad to help in any way that I can. If we need some help setting up, etc.

Why can't we do this (on a smaller scale) once a month? I think we should start some kind of club or organization. Nothing fancy. No dues. You simply give what you can to cover whatever cost is incurred per get-together.

The more voices we join together, the better chance we have of being heard.

Troutman
02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I live close, over in Sevier Co. I would be willing to help also. I like the idea of a monthly get together. Maybe we could meet over at Granny's Kitchen in Wears Valley once a month for breakfast and swap tales and flies before heading into the park. If you haven't been there before, you should try it sometime, GREAT bisquits and gravy, and lots of trophy fish and deer heads hanging on the walls and its only 5 min. from Metcalf Bottoms!

cdu1961
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
:D cookout sounds great. i`m in.

budman
02-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I have posted all of the updated info for the cookout under a new topic with the date of the event