PDA

View Full Version : Used Bamboo Rods

wishiniwasfishin
03-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I have been watching bamboo fly rods posted on e-bay and I found some that are refurbished I guess. I wonder what they mean when they say rod is IMPREGNATED. I have been flyfishing only for 2 years and have sparked an interest in bamboo. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks :question

Byron Begley
03-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Wishin, Welcome to the board and site. I own some bamboo rods but I don't know that much about them. I have two Orvis rods that were built in the 60's and they are impregnated. The simple explaination which is all I know is the finish actually impregnates into the cane fibers. This is supposed to make them more water tolerable. Many bamboo makers use a spar varnish finish either by dipping them or applying the finish by hand. I have some dipped rods and rods that have the finish applied by hand and I really can't tell the difference. Hopefully someone will log on that can give you a better answer.

Byron

Bill M.
03-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Impregnated rods have been treated with a plastic that goes into the bamboo and then cures or hardens there. The advantage is that the rods are almost entirely waterproof. Varnished rods depend on a layer of varnish keeping the water from absorbing into the bamboo. Impregnated rods are considered to be a little tougher and easier to care for than varnished rods. Just a wipe down and a little paste wax once in a while. Both types are fine. Some times the impregnated rods may be just a hair heavier and or slower than the best varnished rods.