PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing in Cosby area

gmc
03-25-2006, 12:05 PM
I plan on coming up to the mountains in late June or early July, and I am thinking about fishing the Cosby area or further around the area. I don't know much about
this area, anybody got any tips or suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
GMC from W.TN

Hugh Hartsell
03-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi GMC, glad that you're going to be in the East Tn. area this Summer. The Cosby area is old home turf. Cosby Creek itself, inside the Park is not such great water. It will offer small rainbows and up a little higher you will find some Br.......ies. Indian Camp Creek offers even better Br.....ie fishing and it is close by. You're also not too far from Big Creek and it is bigger water with slightly bigger fish. The one bright spot in this area is, Cosby Creek just outside the Park. It will require a trout stamp to fish it, but the size of the fish may be much better. The stream encounters limestone just as it leaves the Park and things improve dramatically in the creek, which really helps the fish grow much better. I wish you luck on your trip.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

terry stewart
03-25-2006, 04:57 PM
if you runinto a large copper thing with a twist at the top dont worry

sammcdonald
03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
now that is funny!!!! but oh so possible.

WRN
03-25-2006, 08:48 PM
COSBY IS A FUN CREEK TO CATCH AND CAREFULLY RELEASE A COUPLE OF SPECKS, BUT YOU CAN GET INTO A LOT OF DIVERSE WATER ON THE GREENBRIAR AND PORTER CREEK. LIGHT WT. ROD ON COSBY I HAVE FOUND WORKS WELL,HAVE FUN.

ccmmcc
03-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Hugh,

You mentioned Indian Camp creek. I have tried to fish that creek before but found access was very difficult. Maybe I was in the wrong area. Any suggestions?

Hugh Hartsell
03-27-2006, 10:13 AM
:) Chris, there is a store (service station) just above the old entrance to the creek that has allowed people to park there if they were fishing Indian Camp Creek. You need to ask to do this! Also, there has been a new road cut back into the private propery that borders the Park, just above the store. I haven't been back on this road , so I don't know what you will find there or how friendly the natives are about using it. I had mentioned yesterday about car breakins in Cades Cove. The old parking area that gave access to Indian Camp Creek was notorious for breakins for a number of years. It was so bad that the NPS recommended not leaving anything valuable in your car if you parked in this area to fish or hike. That is why people began using the store. We'll just have to get more info about this area soon.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

terry stewart
03-28-2006, 10:44 PM
went to cosby yesterday got 2 about 8 in each useig lite wgt

flyfishingphoneman
04-03-2006, 10:03 AM
I fished the lower part of cosby on friday. I started out outside of the park talked to a few people that had no problem with me parking on there land an fishing up to the park. I did do ok there. After that I went back up to the park and got in after the nature trail and fished for specs. I did great there. Fished an adam's irresistable. Caught several good size and a bunch more smaller brookies. Fish or no fish that is a beautiful stream to fish.