PDA

View Full Version : Motel, Hotel, Holiday Inn....

Owl
04-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey guys! I'm FINALLY getting to get up there this weekend, but just for one night :(.
Anyway, I know there was a thread on the best cabins, and I looked into the ones that were recommended, but they have a 2 night min, and I just can't make it up there on Fri night all the way from Atl.
So, I see there are several motel/hotels in Townsend - any I should avoid? Any that you guys (anywhere) recommend? I'd love to stay at that maple leaf lodge place, but for this weekend just a regular hotel room will have to do.....

so, anyone know which local hotel in townsend I should go with?
thanks alot
owl

pmike
04-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Howdy Owl,

We, my family and I have stayed several times at the Valley View Best Western. The rooms are always clean and comfortable and prices are usually among the lowest. I also stayed for a couple of days at the Talley Ho Inn. The rooms there were nice and clean and price for that stay was very reeasonble as well. Both places seem to have a variety of rooms as I recall, some even with hot tubs and prices vary accordingly.

Mike

Owl
04-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone. My wife has come up with an allergy related sinus infection( TMI I know, I know :) ) so it looks like I'll be staying at home this weekend. BUT, I will def. use the info for a later date, hopefully within the next couple of weeks!

Woody
04-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I come down four or five time a year and have stayed most recently in the Highland Inn 865-448-2211. The folks there are great, rooms are clean and the balconys are perfect for drying your gear. The Tally Ho is also a great place for the same reasons. Sorry I dont have that number handy. Rates at both places are very good also. Try to avoid Pegion Forge and Gatlinburg. Hotels tend to be much pricier and in Pegion Forge, along the strip, they are not very clean. When you stay in Townsend you will understnd right away why they call it the peaceful side of the Smokies. After a full day of fishing there is nothing better then the peace and quite you'll find in Townsend. The noise and congestion at the other end of Wear Valley is shocking after being in the Park all day. Being familar with the area for over 30 years know I'm still amazed at how the folks on the Townsend side have be able to control the development in such an enviormentaly frendly way. My constant nighmare is that one day we will have a Pegion Forge II Running down both sides of LAPwky.

hw3
04-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I can add an endorsement to the Tally Ho. Were there last fall when the hurricane spoiled the usual
trip into Hazel Creek, and we fished LR and Abrams a day each. So much nicer to come into a hotel
when you are soaked to the skin, rather than try to get dry under a tarp and face cooking, campfire,
telling lies, whiskey and cigars and another day of fishing in the rain tomorrow! Patio is great for the whiskey/cigars, and having a place to dry out wet stuff is priceless. Some good restaurants in the area, but I noted no four star types, not that it is that important when in pursuit of the wiley trout.
T.H. people were great, and as I recall, gave us a discount after a full-court grovel. Enjoy, hope to get there soon. Watson

RFowler
04-12-2006, 07:08 PM
"Hotel, Motel, Holiday Inn" Whats the name of that song?

Docks is a good inexpensive hotel thats on the river. Its just past 321, on the left of course. They have little cabin like things, too.

Duggie
04-12-2006, 09:28 PM
RFowler,

What are the cabins like at Dock's. Are they really cabins or just some type of motel room?

RFowler
04-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Duggie, they are like little one/two room cabins. They are separate (detached) from the hotel. They have a few on the river bank. Not sure what their rates are but I paid $30 for a spotless room in their hotel back in January. The rooms are small compared to other hotels but they are perfect for sportsmen that aren't in their rooms much anyway. Not sure about the cabins but according to this link some will sleep 10 people. http://www.docksmotel.com/ Click on the swimming pool link to see what they have.

Duggie
04-13-2006, 09:41 PM
RFowler,

Thanks for that info, will check them out when I am down that way :)

T1
04-14-2006, 09:53 PM
We spent one night at Docks a couple of years ago and my son caught a couple of nice small mouths right behind the motel

Duggie
04-14-2006, 11:49 PM
T1,

Were you in one of the "cabin" rental sites or the motel part?

T1
04-15-2006, 09:34 PM
We were in the motel part

FRW
04-17-2006, 11:42 AM
I having been coming to Townsend to fish for the last 4 years and have always stayed at the Comfort Inn. The place is clean, the beds comfy and the people friendly. The only downside is no balconies/patios. This year I am staying at Highland for that reason. After my last stay in PF in 2000 and trying to drive through same on the way home in 2003 I decided to never go there again. A trip through Marysville and a week in Townsend suits me just fine.

RFowler
04-19-2006, 12:28 PM
FRW, and anyone else that thinks the traffic is bad up there. There are alternative routes that you can take to keep from going through all that stuff. Do a little research with a map ::). Do you think locals drive right through that crap? One other thing, I used to live up there but now I'm down in metro Atlanta caring for my sick parents. I'd trade Atlanta traffic for PF traffic any day!

Gary
04-19-2006, 01:22 PM
FRW, and anyone else that thinks the traffic is bad up there. *There are alternative routes that you can take to keep from going through all that stuff. *Do a little research with a map ::). *Do you think locals drive right through that crap? *One other thing, I used to live up there but now I'm down in metro Atlanta caring for my sick parents. *I'd trade Atlanta traffic for PF traffic any day!

was down in Townsend last weekend, and noticed that the Best Western was now closed. Looks like somebody else may have taken it over. This is where I usually stay, and was somewhat shocked! Anybody know what's going on with the old Best Western?
gary

Paula Begley
04-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Gary

The Best Western has not changed hands....The owners have dropped their deal with Best Western and are running it as Valley View Lodge. They have made quite a few cosmetic changes to the exterior and have done some improvements to the rooms (I have not seen them yet).

Hope this helps,

Paula

fishlicker
02-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the info - I know it's a year later - my how time flies....

We stayed at the Talley Ho and it was pretty nice - and the rate was great. I had a back injury that was bothering me some, so I didn't fish as much as I'd like, but the fishing was fairly good for me, for as little as I was actually in the water. We also found out that the best place for breakfast is the little tourist-strip-mall thingy as you come into town from Maryville(on your left coming into Townsend). . . there is a little sandwich shop there that has great breakfast stuff. It's not a full-blown meal, but it's delicious and pretty inexpensive. Apple something? Can't remember the name exactly....

Anyway, sorry it took so long to say thanks, but we got alot of use out of the info and we're planning on coming back this year for a few days in the late spring. Probably staying at the Talley Ho again, and hopefully this time the ole back will hold up long enough to get in some serious fishing! :)'

fishlicker
( formerly "owl" )

cubefisher
02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
"Hotel, Motel, Holiday Inn" Whats the name of that song?

(Pardon if someone's already responded..)

That's the Sugar Hill Gang...Rapper's Delight.

"...if your girl starts actin' up, then you take her friends..."

Can't believe I shared this knowledge in public.

MTN_TRT
02-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Ya know I knew exactly what the song was, but I refused to reduce myself on this board. Chingy also released a song a few years ago titled "Holidae Inn"--I wont post lyrics...

Flyboy
02-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey folks. Just wanted to put in a good word for Riverstone Lodge. It's the last motel on the left before you get to the park. Nothing fancy, just good people and the food at the adjoining restaurant is also good. Talk to Terry or Belinda, I think you'll find it a nice place to stay.

cubefisher
02-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Ya know I knew exactly what the song was, but I refused to reduce myself on this board. Chingy also released a song a few years ago titled "Holidae Inn"--I wont post lyrics...

You obviously have more discression than I.