PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap and Leconte Weather

Gek
05-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Byron,

Where do you get your daily weather forecasts for Newfound Gap and Leconte? It's always nice to know what's going on at 5000+ feet (and usually it's a lot different than the valley). The closest place I can find is Gatlinburg, but that's not a good indicator for the AT and spur trails at the higher elevations. Any help would be appreciated.

Adam

Dancing Bear
05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey Adam,

I'm not Byron but go to www.weather.gov and click on the state you want info on. You can pin-point areas on topo maps. We use all the time to check on the Smokies.

Mike

Byron Begley
05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Adam, Here's the direct link. *They update about 9:30 am for the night before. *Hope this helps. *It's fun to look at the snowfall that they post in the winter. Mike, Thanks I'll check out the whole site. I've only seen this link below.

www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX

Byron

Kodak
05-16-2006, 09:22 AM
I was scrolling through some of the older posts and saw this one about the GSMNP weather sites. I never knew such a service existed. I always just visit weather.com. ;D It is fantastic. Thanks...Jim Eastman

Gek
05-16-2006, 09:59 AM
You're right, it is awesome. Never knew it was out there either. Will sure make backcountry trips a lot easier to plan in the future. The only exception to it all is this....it's still the Smokies. Anything and everything - weatherwise - can and may happen during a day. Tough to predict weather in these parts for sure.