PDA

View Full Version : Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

Pages : 1 [2]

yeltad
09-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks John, that info is very helpful. We might have to wait until spring. Keep posting when you aren't cycling. I enjoy hearing what you write about the area.

Jswitow
09-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks and tight lines!
John

Drugcop4
09-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Heading to the Snowbird area this weekend. Have a cabin on the West Buffalo. If I can figure out the streams and bring any fish to hand I will post a report.

Jswitow
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
A very nice little stream, good luck!

Drugcop4
09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Thank you, I am looking forward to the fishing; however not the drive at 2 a.m. in the rain on the Tail of the Dragon with my wife and two dogs in a small car.

:frown::frown:

Jswitow
09-22-2011, 03:32 PM
That is awfully late, be careful. Might even wait until morning... if from the Knoxville area. You likely won't see a soul, or have cell service through Deals Gap without a Sat phone (which I do not have). West Buffalo is formed by two creeks; Squally and H...... ? Right above the confluence of the two is a great run of about 50 or yards or so of bouldered pockets, enclosed by trees. Squally is full of wild rainbows, small, but lousy with them! I bet you all will be pretty far up West Buffalo, maybe actually on Squally.
Enjoy yourselves!

Drugcop4
09-23-2011, 05:20 PM
I will be on the big snowbird tommorrow if you are up that way, we have the little blue car with Illinoisb tags

Jswitow
09-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the invitation, sorry I won't be over this weekend. We have a family reunion in Crossville, TN tomorrow..... Good luck to you!
John

Drugcop4
09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Fished the Big Snowbird in cool weather and rain and it was awesome. Some fish took the Yellow Stimulator, but most were on the only bead head Tellico Nymph that I had. I brought about 12 fish to hand anywhere from 4 to 10 inches all rainbow. Had one Brown that went about 14 inches, he was camera shy and got off before I could manage the camera. Once I lost the Tellico I did not get another bite for the rest of Friday and all of Saturday. I told the wife my problem was I needed to fish more to get more practice with other patterns. I don't think she bought it.

The fishing was pretty good, I was poorly prepared and there is not a fly shop within reasonable distance for a short trip. I can tell you that the Tail of the Dragon drive on Hwy 129 is not for the faint of heart.

Jswitow
09-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Certainly glad you had some luck! Yeah that creek is full of golden stones, so the Tellico is hard to beat. There is a pretty good fly shop at the NOC on the Nantahala River. It is actually across the street from the NOC at the Wesser [General?] Store. That's about 30 minutes away. They usually have flies at Robinson's store on Snowbird rd as well, though I don't remember ever seeing any bead heads. Were you all travelling from Illinois, and did you have any luck there on West Buffalo?
Hope you liked it enough to make a return trip sometime!
John

Drugcop4
09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes we traveled from Illinois. I have family in the Townsend, TN area. We will be coming back that was for Thanksgiving and most likely stay in the Bryson City area. Never really got to fish the Buffalo, there was not alot of available information on the rivers there.

Jswitow
09-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Hope to start posting a few stories of the creek and fishing again soon. Has anyone besides Ducky been over? What about the guy evidently from Robbinsville who mentioned the new Delayed Harvest regs? That large stocking of fish in the DH area will be good for the rest of the creek, some of them will get washed downstream and end up as hold overs, or skillet fare! Water was 63 degrees last weekend, a mile below the confluence of Little and Big Snowbird, which is awesome for August 31st. As usual though, Little Snowbird was flowing like coffee. Why will they not put up silt fences when working around the creek? For that matter, why is no one respecting the riparian zone along the creek up there?
I was able to hit the creek for the first time in about 20 months last weekend, for about 45 minutes. I had the good fortune to stick one heavy fish... and lose it, then landed the first fish I have brought to hand since New Year's eve 2011/12! It was a beautiful little wild bow, still with vivid par markings. It took what (I think) it thought was a struggling moth on top. That little bow was absolutely gorgeous, and amazingly I could still handle the rod pretty well!
More to come hopefully.
Tight lines,
John

Stonefly
09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
I still haven't been back since the one time I came over years ago. Would love to make it again once cold weather gets here. Great stream when the big ones are running.

steve

dwardmba
09-03-2013, 05:59 PM
My son and I actually drove over Sunday from Chattanooga doing some scouting / exploring...

We made it to Robbinsville at 11:00, ate lunch, drove up Little Snowbird, Snowbird to Junction and then went up Santeetlah all the way to the Skyway. Figured out I could be on the upper Santeetlah in about the same time as the upper North River on the TN side.

Long day, one big circle but with three new streams to try. I was quite excited to see this recent post... Then I noticed how many posts there were and went to the beginning - wow! Some nice trout way back when!

Now I am thinking long weekend camping this fall... Hmm.

flyman
09-03-2013, 11:55 PM
What part of Snowbird are they going to make DH?

dwardmba
09-04-2013, 06:28 AM
From what I saw sign wise, as you go up stream there is a campsite on the right with a road / bridge going across the stream. Believe the road was 2579 and it was gated. The upstream side of the bridge had a DH diamond, down stream had a hatchery supported diamond.

The road (2579) does show on the Trails Illustrated Map (Fontana and Hiawassee Lake).

Dave

Grannyknot
09-04-2013, 08:35 AM
What part of Snowbird are they going to make DH?

From the bridge dwardmba mentioned, to the end of the road.
I can't really remember when they changed it to DH, but I was up a few years ago and it was all HS, went back this summer and it was DH.

Good for the lake dwellers, IMO.

Stonefly
09-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Good for the lake dwellers, IMO.

That would seem to be very good for the spawners that run up from the lake - no kill during the winter when they're up the river.

steve

Grannyknot
09-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I was attempting to keep from saying it that way, but yes, that's what I meant.

Stonefly
09-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't think I follow why you didn't want to say it that way.

They still have to get past the meat fishermen in the lower stretches. I'm being a bit more blunt.

steve

snowbird fly
10-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I saw the fish truck stocking the DH today I didn't know this thread was still active and it has been a while since I checked it.A few fish are in the head of lake it shouldn't be long before they start their run up the creek

Jswitow
12-16-2013, 03:43 PM
For any of you who may be interested, this moon phase, high water and cold should have the run in full swing. I have not fished it in two years now, so can't say whether there are many fish up there. I bet there will be some, as it was slow in 2010 and 2011. These things seem to be somewhat cyclical. I know there has been talk of otters as well at the mouth of the creek... I do hope to get over some this winter, and typically I have not seen fish before Thanksgiving. With the DH situation now in place there should be plenty of fish to keep your attention even if the Lakers are scarce. I thought that all six miles of Big Snowbird was now DH from October to May, but it is evidently the 2.8 miles from the Junction (end of road) to a concrete bridge that crosses the creek about 2 miles up from the confluence of Little and Big Snowbirds.
Here is a link to a very brief article in the Graham Star: http://www.grahamstar.com/articles/2013/11/07/news/doc524d99503bb5a453351693.txt
If anyone goes a brief report would be great!
Tight lines,
John

MarkHansen
02-12-2014, 06:43 PM
For any of you who may be interested, this moon phase, high water and cold should have the run in full swing. I have not fished it in two years now, so can't say whether there are many fish up there. I bet there will be some, as it was slow in 2010 and 2011. These things seem to be somewhat cyclical. I know there has been talk of otters as well at the mouth of the creek... I do hope to get over some this winter, and typically I have not seen fish before Thanksgiving. With the DH situation now in place there should be plenty of fish to keep your attention even if the Lakers are scarce. I thought that all six miles of Big Snowbird was now DH from October to May, but it is evidently the 2.8 miles from the Junction (end of road) to a concrete bridge that crosses the creek about 2 miles up from the confluence of Little and Big Snowbirds.
Here is a link to a very brief article in the Graham Star: http://www.grahamstar.com/articles/2013/11/07/news/doc524d99503bb5a453351693.txt
If anyone goes a brief report would be great!
Tight lines,
John

Hey John - long time no talk to. I mentioned your name on a recent duck hunt with Duffey. If you get to fishing at the cabin, post a report or two.

Take care,
Mark