PDA

View Full Version : Doublecamp Creek

buzzmcmanus
05-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Fished Doublecamp Creek in between thunderstorms Saturday afternoon (5-8pm). Caught so many fish that I wouldn't even want to guess at how many there were. Started with an EHC and had 1 suck it down every other cast. Switched to a yellow sally and had them jumping out of the water trying to get it. I had more strikes on the yellow sally, however I caught less fish. They were hitting so hard that they were jumping clean out of the water to get it and most either missed the fly, or knocked it out of the way trying. After I finished fishing, I drove up Doublecamp Road and didn't see another fisherman (only campers) along the creek. Here are my thoughts on why I was the only one fishing there Sat.

1) You have to drive by stocked fish to get there
2) Most people are allergic to lightning
3) It's rumored that the Park Service turns it's nusance bears lose there, so, there's a better than average chance of becoming a bear t\/rd when compared to other places
4) The place is polluted with snakes, mostly poisonous

Buzz

RuningWolf
05-24-2006, 11:48 PM
"The place is polluted with snakes, mostly poisonous "

I once read a report that said that area has more poisonous snakes per square mile than any other area in the US. From fishing it many times I do not doubt the validity of that report.

ccmmcc
05-25-2006, 07:11 AM
I agree with you guys. But I would add that not only does it have more poisonous snakes per square mile than any other area in the U.S., they are also the biggest snakes I have ever seen! I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Jswitow
05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a good bet when the weather turns colder, say October or November? Sounds like a great day none the less. I have had some fantastic days for numbers on the North river on the lower section as well. Have heard that way up it is full of brookies as well, never tried it though.
Thanks for the info,

buzzmcmanus
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Here's my secret to fishing Doublecamp Creek. I probably shouldn't be posting this before I get a patent on it, however, I would hate for some fisherman to perish for my greed. I've bought a pair of 15" over the calf Rocky snakeproof boots that are 2 sizes too big for a socked foot. Then, I ground the lug soles don't to a smooth surface. Over this, I glued a replacement felt sole. I wear these over my waders instead of my regular wading boots. Now, not only are my feet and legs protected from poisonous snakes, they are also camoflaged from the trout in the water that I'm wading.

Don't try this with the snakeproof chaps and regular wading shoes. The current pulls the chaps right off.