PDA

View Full Version : dropper distance

rvan
06-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Bryon,

"Make sure the dropper is 18" from the first fly to be legal"

Read this statement on your fishing report yesterday. Have I missed something in the regs? :-? I'm usually around 12 to 14 inches (not that I think that the Park goes around measuring tippet length - I hope).

Richard

Thunderhead8
06-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Richard, Please report to the nearest Ranger Station and turn yourself in ;).

I believe that if the dropper is shorter than 18 it qualifies as a "multi-hook" rig.

rvan
06-25-2006, 09:32 AM
I was just about to turn myself in ::) when I ran across the following:

Section 7.14 GSMP Fishing

(a)(6)(i) The use of a dropper fly having a single hook attached by greater than or equal to 12 inches of line to a legal lure is permissible. The fly may be attached by a piece of line to the leader or tied to the hook of the fly that is tied to the leader.

Richard

Thunderhead8
06-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Nuthin' like a guy getting off the "hook" by reading the fine print! :)

lauxier
06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
In 1982 I was arrested by park rangers for "tippet abuse"It was either too long or too short--I was led to a black,unmarked vehicle,and transported,blindfolded,to a small block building somewhere deep in the park.The blindfold was taken off--I was under very intense lighting--I could not see any thing--The Rangers then proceeded to pipe the music of Barry Manilow into the room,at a very high volume--I lasted for about an hour before I began screaming.Watch that tippet--and try to avoid TIPPET TORTURE!~!!!!----This reply may not be 100% truthful

Kytroutbum
06-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Play some John Denver or Jimmy Buffet. It should neutralize Barry Manilow- I played it going and coming home from School for years to regain my sanity after "Hip-Hop" ::) *

After twice having the bottom midge larva buried in finger while landing fish on the Big Horn last summer, I quit fishing droppers. Besides, I catch enough trees with ONE fly.
Randy Sale