PDA

View Full Version : Greenbrier Saturday June 24th, 2006

tennswede
06-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Wanted to put the picture by itself before I write the ramblings. Anyway, I went up Greenbrier Yesterday with my friend Pineman. We met up at Ramsay Cascades Trailhead at 11 a.m. I had talked with two other fishermen that morning. One of the guys was a gentleman from CA. He caught a few roadside. As we were rigging up several other fishermen were either fixing to walk up the trail or had fished earlier that morning. We began fishing at around 11:30 am and the weather was sunny. We began to pick up small fish immediately and as we were hiking upstream we caught more and more. I caught several decent Brook Trout that might measure seven inches each. I started to get really excited since I was about to experience my best quantity day in the Smokies ever. I was getting cocky and excited and before I know it I threw my Yellow Stimulator in to a fast run and caught the Bow in the picture. He was 9+ inches. This was later in the day and the bow's were getting active. I went upstream and cast in the next pool and lo and behold if I didn't catch another one in the same size. I couldn't believe my luck. I managed to catch and release 40 Brook Trout and 13 Rainbows today. My best day ever in the park. I lost several more good sized bows and everything was just unbelievable. I couldn't help my grin on my face ;D and as I was getting a little to assured of myself the inevitable happened. The Fish God's decided to take me back down to earth. I instantly fell on my back and arm and got really soaked. It is hurting pretty bad this morning but it was worth it. Neal was doing okay but lost a few of his better ones. Just one of them days when it was my lucky day. Next time I'll get skunked. I know for a fact how everything has to fall in place once in awhile but it is no guarantee for it to happen. The water temp was 62 and the afternoon produced two thundershowers which I believe made the fishing better.
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/lisaane/th_IM000082.jpghttp://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/lisaane/th_IM000081.jpg

Kevin_Thomas
06-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Hans,

I'm still learning the park. *Is that near Metcalf Bottoms or to the right at the middle prong trailhead?

Kevin

tennswede
06-25-2006, 04:58 PM
You are actually on the wrong path. Greenbrier is the middle prong of Little Pigeon River. It flows out of the park in to the community of Pittman Center east of Gatlingurg on 321. There's an entrance to the park five miles from Gatlinburg which takes you five miles up the road to Ramsay Cascades Trailhead. Little River is the other side of Gatlinburg.

Kevin_Thomas
06-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the help! I found it on a map and will give it a go soon. I appreciate you sharing information on here. I'm new and it really helps the learnng curve. I had Tim Doyle take me out a few weeks ago and learned alot. I live in Maryville and just took up Fly Fishing. I'm looking forward to trying some new spots. Thanks again!

tennswede
06-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Youre' welcome. I only ask people to respect the park and pick up litter when you can. I don't give out specific stream locations just general areas. The park is public land and belongs to all americans and all others who are visiting legally. Despite this I have already received a nasty email for giving out too much info. The only thing I can say is free speech still applies. Besides the park is not exactly a private section of a trout stream. There are at least five books sold nationally that gives out more info than I plus countless of Magazine articles. All I ask out of people is respect the resource.

Kevin_Thomas
06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
I understand that people invest a lot of time in learning the things that they know and feel others should learn the hard way. I never litter and pick up anything I see that needs to go. I joined TU to try to learn more, but right now I'm working on my Master's and have class on Thursday. I'll keep learning and hopefully catch some fish soon. My cast is a bit aggressive and that is killing me in the park. Thanks again and I hope to see you on the stream one day to thank you in person!

kevin

Kytroutbum
06-25-2006, 11:24 PM
A WARNING to any neophytes (newbies) out there. Respect the river in Greenbrair. The bottom I think, in especially the lower places, rivals Abrams for slipperiness. Wear Felts on the bottoms of your wading shoes and be very careful wading. Especially in Greenbrair and Abrams. These are my two favorite ;) "swimming holes" I also busted a favorite 4 wt. in Greenbrair as I fell :'(. *For sure awesome beauty, Greenbrair Cove can't be beat. *

Tennswede Thanks for sharing with those of us who couldn't make it this month. As for the emails, some folks need to stop and ASK THEMSELVES who helped them out at some time to make their sport more enjoyable. I have a "Paradise" on the Northeastern end of Yellowstone where I very seldom see Trout under a foot unless its a Brookie. 35-50 fish days of 12-18 inch Cutts and Bows ON TOP are common. I very rarely fish early morning or late evening. Some of the streams I fish come out of YNP but I hardly ever venture into the YNP. My wife claims that fish "just jump on the hook there" when describing it to people. *I got the tip to explore this area after being in a flyshop (North Fork Anglers)in Cody and discussing my plans. One of the guides, realizing the types of fishing experience I wanted steered me away from a "Magazine Article" stream where I was heading and said to check this area out. I did over several years and found my "Paradise". Describing general areas especially in the park shouldn't do much harm. When I've been asked for help on a stream in the park, etc. I try to use it as "a teachable moment" slip in the rules-single hook, no bait, and then slip in C &R and Barbless hooks.
Tight lines
Randy Sale

Sivad
06-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Tennswede,

Thanks for the story and Information. You are a big help to people like me who are new tho the area and want to fish the smokies and catch some fish. People need to understand this board was set up for people to exchange information. Once again Thank You
for your post

Patrick :)

tennswede
06-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. I know some people just feel like they want to be the only one's reping the benefits. Sure I like solitude somtimes too but I understand that in a National Park you are sharing. Anyways, I just got a little riled up about the tone in the email I got. I am going to talk to Paula or Byron or Daniel next time I'm in the store and I'm going to ask them if they feel that I should stop giving out information. I guess I just got hurt this time. I had the best day in the park period and I felt excited about it. I also remember how hard it can be for a person visiting the park for the first time or someone who is new to flyfishing to adjust to our kind of fishing.

Rog 1
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
I agree with you...it is all about sharing and helping. I have fished the Park waters for more than 40 years now and have never met anyone up there that has not shared a little info or knowledge when asked....benefits of the brotherhood. With all the books out on the Park it is hard to believe that there is anymore secret water out there. Now we may all have our special places but who hasn't experienced finding someone there before us...Last month my son and I fished several streams in NC that I had never stepped foot on and even some waters that I had either drove by or walked by getting to those special places that produced trout ..... I have always enjoyed reading your posts since I am familiar with most of the places you mention and it is the next best thing to being there...these boards can almost be territorial in some sense....early on the one thing I did discover is that when someone asks a question and there is a lack of ready responses then you are on the right track....I once posted a question about a NC creek I had read about in Ian's book and got all of one response.....told me all I needed to know....glad you had a banner day and Greenbrier is a wonderful place for this to happen.

moflyer3
06-26-2006, 07:35 PM
if you wouldnt mind, could you just say that the fishing s----- and that it's not worth the effort of the big drive. Havent been down there yet this year and I'm missing it really bad.

MTN_TRT
06-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Im young and Ive been flyfishing for a few years (I luv it btw). And I think its stupid for ppl to get mad over sharing info. HEY GUYS-- none of us would be fishin right now if it wasnt for the exchange of information. If it wasnt for our grandfathers, fathers, uncles, or guys we met on the river showing us that fly or the run where all the brn trout are spawing or the hidden pool up that feeder creek- we wouldnt be fishing. Tennswede you're right about the freedom of speech thing. Ill use it right now--anyone gettin all upset and angry about info for public fishing areas needs to hang up their flyrod...cuz youre not enjoying the sport and everything that comes with it.

MTN_TRT

"LIFE IS GOOD"

tennswede
06-27-2006, 07:41 AM
MTN_TRT!

You are correct, it is obvious that some people don't really enjoy the sport and all that comes with it. They just take all their everyday attitudes and problems with them when they go fishing and then you are wondering why do they even bother to fish. Oh well!

moflyer3
06-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Keep sharing your info. Tennswede, youre one of the reasons that a lot of us read this board. My first foray into the park was in Greenbriar, had stayed in a cabin out that direction for the week. Because of that, it holds a special place for me. Fell flat on my back on one of them huge boulders and broke my reel. An appropriate initiation into GSMNP as it turns out. I think it was mid or late June when we were there, and I remember reading something ahead of time that the fishing wouldnt be great in that stream due to its lack of aquatic insects, etc. Sounds like at least a portion of it fishes pretty well. Sure as heck wish i was there.

Paula Begley
06-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Anyways, I just got a little riled up about the tone in the email I got. I am going to talk to Paula or Byron or Daniel next time I'm in the store and I'm going to ask them if they feel that I should stop giving out information. I guess I just got hurt this time. I had the best day in the park period and I felt excited about it. I also remember how hard it can be for a person visiting the park for the first time or someone who is new to flyfishing *to adjust to our kind of fishing.

Tennswede

Byron and I are on vacation....tarpon fishing in Florida, but got blown off the water by rain...I was just checking in on the board and noticed this thread. I could not help but comment. At Little River Outfitters, we have no secrets....none....period. We share info with our customers...all of them.

So, I have two words for you about whether you should stop giving out information:

DON'T STOP!

Feel free to continue sharing your info and enthusiasm on this board. You are an asset here!

Paula

tennswede
06-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks everyone, It is nice to know that a lot of people feel that they get something out of my posts. Thanks Paula, I figure you all don't mind. I'm sure people will say Yeah, of course they will want you to tell stuff so they get more customers. I think that most people forget that if there wasn't free info and a capitalistic side to outdoor sports there wouldn't be any money coming in to the sport and ultimately the conservation funds would dry up. I end this discussion here because I don't want to get politics and fishing mixed up. Thanks everyone for the support and if you would like to discuss further please pm.

pgnfrgffer
06-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Greenbriar is great, but after almost stepping on a small timber rattler and run over by two bears I am looking for another place.

Actually I have fished it several times and only been disappointed once. The snake and bears just added to the outdoor experience.

Sivad
06-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Paula

Thanks for supporting tennswede and running a great shop.
LRO is the best shop in the southeast very friendly and helpful.

Patrick

tennswede
06-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Talking about snakes, I have yet to see a rattler or copperhead streamside. I remember reading somewhere that snakes don't like the sound of water. I think it might have been in Don Kirk's Book. That sounds a little far fetched since watersnakes are around the streams all the time. I guess I have been close to snakes several times it's just that they are elusive and probably saw or heard me long before I would have noticed them.

justincraneman
06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
hans- tennswead,

just caught myself up on the topic - anyway i always appreciate you posts and the fact that you actually get out and fish, your not just sitting aroung your computer thinking about it.

so did someone email you and ask you to stop giving away spots??

if so i would like to ask them how many days they spent on the water last year? any quality fisherman can follow 50 yards behing someone almost anywhere in the park and still catch fish, so whoever complained isn't much of a fisherman or is just cranky. >:(

it's all about beng friendly and sharing w/ folks because there are alot of people out there who need help on the stream.

keep up the good posts and expecially keep up the hard fishing.

justin :-*

Kevin_Thomas
06-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks to Hans I fished Greenbrier yesterday and caught my first fish in the park (caught one with Tim Doyle, but didn't want to count it considering he was holding my hand, literally). Actually I caught three nice rainbows right at dusk. I got a ton of bites and hooked several that I didn't get in. I've only been flyfishing in the park a few months and his information about trying a new place helped me cross a big hurdle. As far as LRO's interest, I'm more likely to continue buying their products if i'm catching fish. I understand saving some information to keep the guides busy, but people need to catch a fish from time to time to stay interested. Thanks Hans, I had a great time last night. Catching those fish was a really big deal for me and I couldn't have done it without you!

Kevin_Thomas
06-29-2006, 05:21 PM
As far as LRO's interest, I'm more likely to continue buying their products if I'm catching fish. *I understand saving some information to keep the guides busy, but people need to catch a fish from time to time to stay interested.

Wanted to clarify my point here...

I do not think LRO withholds information. *I was just saying I believe it is in their best interest to share and I believe they do. *And I'm sure their guides stay busy without holding back information. *I support LRO and this board, without the board I could not have got the Greenbrier information from Hans. *Thanks LRO!

tennswede
06-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Justin! To answer your question, yes it was a cranky person and it is behind me. Anyway, Did you get my voicemal last week? I got your email a little late but I didn't hear from you. Did you fish any?

redc4man!

I'm glad you got to see a beutiful place. Yes it is challenging at first but it is very rewarding up there. Let me know if you want some company.

justincraneman
06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
hans,

yes i got your voice mail on saturday am, i fished about 2 miles above the end of the road at tremont, it was great, i had some non fishing friends w/ me and they got to see me catch lots of fish frm the trail. In the afternoon i fished littler river and did good also, actually kept a couple nice bows for a camp fire dinner. we camped up at look rock, what a nice campgroung.

also, after you posted a while back about chatalooche i got the bug and went down there for a couple days, lots of fish and solitude. the elk were an added bonus.

have you ever fished up snowbird creek? i hiked up there a year ago or so and it was awesome, it's some real wilderness. anyway, perhaps we plan on hiking back in there sometime, it's well worth the drive for some excellent brook trout fishing.

i've been killin em at my local tailwater in indiana - i will email you a pic of the 22" brown i caught there a couple weeks ago, it was an absolute hog, fat and a big hook jaw, as i was fighting it we thought it was possible a big carp by the way he was just boring deep and not budging - it was quite a rush - he was caught on a size 20 phesant tail. he was released to fight another day

talk to you soon
justin

tennswede
06-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Justin!

Sounds like you are having a great time. I will go over to Cattalooche in the fall. I will let you know when i'm ready and if you want we can do some serious hiking in to the backcountry there at Asbury Crossing. For now I'm hangin out high up on the TN side of the hill. I have a Sunday trip planned with a fellow from this board hopefully we can get away from the crowds. Btw, No I have not fished Snowbird.

christopher
07-01-2006, 11:59 AM
I have some info for ya ;D . Fish where i do.....cause im not catching anything, so there's probably lots of fish there.I go fishing, i dont catch fish...there's a differance. I know its somthing im doing wrong...last year caught many. This year...a few of 4" to 6" trout. Guess my skills going away :'( . It does get me away from home and work though, so im not complaining ;D