View Full Version : HELP...need a new rod...suggestions please

07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I the tip of my rod broke tonight on my last fish at the Clinch. *Of corse it was my last fish because I broke my rod. *I am looking at the Orvis Clearwater as a replacement. *Please give me any comments on this rod or any suggetions for other rods that you have used. *I am on a budget so the Zero G is not an option. *Thanks for all replys.

07-07-2006, 08:12 AM
I personally purchased one of the Clearwaters and while it is a nice rod, I am not crazy about the flex. I also purchased a Temple Fork (4 pc) in the same weight and prefer it much better. Cost wise, the TFO rods are excellent rods and are cheaper in price to the Clearwater.

07-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I'd head to LRO & cast everything within your budget 8-)

07-07-2006, 09:27 AM
I am going to second the TFO suggestion. I have two (and hopin to pick up a third by next spring) and I wouldnt cast anything else for the money. Mine have given me no trouble, and they seem to be pretty stong rods. I'd say go with the TFO.

07-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys, I will check out the TFO rods. *I hope to be able to go to the candy store....er....Little River Outfitters tonight?

07-07-2006, 01:51 PM

I actually have two of the TFOs (4 wt and 5wt) in addition to a higher end rod (not Orvis). I actually prefer the TFOs for fishing in the Smokies. The flex is manageable and a four piece rod is about $140.

07-08-2006, 12:00 PM
my wife has the clearwater and liked it till she used my G-Loomis GL3. It is a 3pc 4wt (I believe I gave $149 for it) and she couldn't believe how much more control she had over the clearwater. I can't bad mouth the Orvis cause I also have a 5/6 Henrys Fork Orvis, but once again it only gets used when I have a friend along who wants to try this incredible sport.

Hope you find something you like.....good fishing!!!!

07-08-2006, 11:49 PM
While you're at LRO, check out the St. Croix rods. IMHO the Avids are very comparable if not perhaps a bit nicer than the TFO's and cost only slightly more than the Finesse (sp?) series of TFO. The Avids also come with a lifetime warrenty and rod tube.