PDA

View Full Version : storms and fishing

minnowsoon2btrout
07-21-2006, 02:47 PM
I am plannng on going into the GSMNP tomorrow (sat) and I checked on the weather forcast and there is a chance of storms, :-/ if I m hiking into my fishing hole or I have already been there a while and one of these storms happens upon me, what is the best thing to do. I will be surrounded by trees an water.
I may wait till Sunday, but can you still answer this? ;)

russ
07-21-2006, 03:14 PM
As long as there wasn't a lot of lightning close by and the water wasn't rising to dangerous levels, i'd keep on fishing ;). You have to watch out for the water to rise quickly, even if it isn't raining on you yet, because it may be raining like the dickens further upstream. As far as lightning goes, I'd just get out of the water and try to get somewhere drier. I'd be more concerned with limbs being blown out of the trees from strong winds than I would about the lightning striking me.

minnowsoon2btrout
07-21-2006, 03:33 PM
is the fiberglass and line from the pole something that can attract lightning? :o

russ
07-21-2006, 03:44 PM
fiberglass is not a conductor of electricity and I doubt the fly line would attract it. That being said, i wouldn't go into an open field and wave it around in a storm ;).

tennswede
07-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Watch out if you are fishing graphite,

pineman19
07-22-2006, 10:07 AM
One thing you'll want to consider during thunderstorms is getting to lower ground. Lightning likes higher targets, so if you can to a lower spot you will be safer than if you climb to a ridge or try to get out via a trail. I feel safer tucked underneath an overhanging rock by a stream than being on higher ground during a thunderstorm.

Have fun, and be careful.

Neal