PDA

View Full Version : Best Line/Rod Weight for fishing in the Smokies

Griff
07-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi all, I am looking into getting a new rod and was wondering what you all thought was the best line weight for fly fishing in the park. *I look forward to seeing the results and discussion. *Thanks.

TomW
07-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Hello Griff,
It might be interesting to know what the people think is the best length of rod. Not just the weight

Tom

TroutDude
07-31-2006, 09:26 AM
For me it depends on where I'm fishing in the park. However I seem to go back to one or two rods... either a 7'9" 3wt. or a 8' 4wt.

pmike
07-31-2006, 05:25 PM
My favorite Smokies rod is a St. Croix Legend Ultra 3 weight that is 7'9" and 3 pieces. It is sensitive enough to make een small fish feel pretty big and has enough backbone to throw a tandem rig as well as some pretty good nymphs.

I will admit that I tend to like to fish even lighter weight rods including one of my other favorites which is a 2 weight built on an Avid blank, but figure there might a chance to hook into a fish that would be too much for such a light rod. My 3 weight is on the light side but still could land a fairly decent fish in part due to the fact that it is a faster rod than the Avid.

MIke