PDA

View Full Version : First Time on Clinch this Saturday

MaryvilleJim
08-03-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm abandoning the Park nad heading to the Clinch with another novice this Saturday. He has floated/drifted it many times but neither of us has fly fished it. ANY tips are greatly appreciated beginning with where we access it, etc.

Thanks, Jim in Maryville.

Griff
08-03-2006, 04:04 PM
For your first time I would suggest going to the weir dam and fishing below it. *I would use zebra midges (18 - 20) as droppers below parachute adams or some kind of sulfer pattern dry flys. *You might also try bead head pheasant tails and copper johns. *I would suggest 5X or even 6X tippets. Fish the ripples. Pay attention to the TVA generation schedules because it's not wadable if they are running water. *Be prepared for what I call "The Band of Bubbas" chunking worms. *Good luck.

justfishing
08-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey MJ,

I got some pretty good advice on the Clinch on my 'Late August Fishing" thread. Check it out. Make sure to give us a report when you get back. Good luck.
justfishing
<'))))><

Kingstonian
08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Jim, TVA has been generating hard for several days. *Looks like they are taking a break after midnight tonight, and picking back up at 8 AM tomorrow morning. *Chances of getting much fishing in Saturday may be pretty small. *Be sure to check TVAs website tomorrow afternoon. *If the water is coming on early after being off for a few hours, you probably should try to fish down behind the jail. *At least there you should be able to fish until 3-4 hours after the water comes on. *Still need to keep an eye out and have an escape route, because three generators is a lot of water.

When the water was down, I did best near the weir dam on small (#16) dry flies in light colors. *Midges work also size 20 and smaller.

Some of those "bubbas" are good guys who bought licenses as well. *I've found that 95% of them are polite and respect your space. *We need to do the same for them. *

Be careful and I hope TVA cooperates with you.

Waterborn
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
The good ol' clinch river combo is a good place to start - small pheasant tail with a smaller midge dropper...if your there early in the a.m or hitting lowering water a throw a scud into the combo...and don't for get some black fly patterns nymph or dry...

MaryvilleJim
08-07-2006, 06:34 AM
First, thanks to all who provided advice. Second, they were generating EARLY and our window was shut. My fishing partner, a lifelong Knoxville resident, has always said that he is blessed by a complete lack of ambition. This being the case, we arrived at the weir dam at 9 am after I reached his house at 6:30. Too late of course. We then changed tactics and went to his cabin on Douglas Lake and snatched Bream and Crappie on Parachute Adams for a few hours. Anyway, better luck next time solo until the weather cools and he can rise when the trout are rising...........

bigjim
08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Jim, if your buddy won't get up early try fishing behind the Anderson County Jail off Route 61 in Clinton. Water starts to receed there about 5-8 hours after they turn the generators off and will come up about 5-6 hours after TVA turns the generators on. I fished there on Sunday from 9:30AM till 12:30PM and caught some fish on BHPT and Olive Zebras. Good Luck!!