PDA

View Full Version : Clinch River story

minnowsoon2btrout
08-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I just got back from my 1st outing to the Clinch River. I heard about an area just above the jail and decided to give it a try. There was a man there that was making his way across the river and I have to say that his casting was flawless.
He seemed to be making his way back to the parking lot when I asked him some questions about his set up. He was very accomodating and did not seem to mind my questions, we talked for about 20 minutes about poles, flies and lines, the Clinch and the GSMNP and after that he gave me a fly that he said works well in the clinch and one that will work well in the park.
I was glad to speak to someone who was familiar with the area and did not expect the gifts.
thanks Ray :)

15yroldflyfisher
08-05-2006, 03:03 PM
what was the fly he gave u?

justfishing
08-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Don't leave us hangin' :o How was your trip? How was the fly?

justfishing
<'))))><

minnowsoon2btrout
08-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I only fished for about an hour, I had no waders and did not expect the water to be as cold as it was, so I stayed pretty close to shore. I seemed to be casting where the fish were'nt. I saw several fish and heard a few more around me.
I do not know the names of the flys I inherited, but one is about 5/8 of an inch long with gold bead at the front, and it has what appears to be a pair of swept back white wings behind the bead and a pair of swept back black wings at he rear of the body, the body is round and black with brown fur, the other is a hook about 1/4 inch with what appears to be small red and black beads that wrap the spine of the hook.
Well I am going to be on the lookout forsome waders. ;)

justfishing
08-05-2006, 06:04 PM
I know the feeling. The first time I fished the Chattahoochee it was mid-August and about 95 degrees. We drove over from Birmingham "to catch us sum trout".
We pulled in just below the dam with our spinnin rods, 12# test, and shorts, an proceded to wade out in the river. After about 3 minutes I couldn't feel my legs anymore and they looked like I had just worn a new pair of Levi's in hot water. Needless to say it put a slight damper on the fishing. We were able to catch us a cooler full of fish, but I definitely learned a valuable lesson on tailwater temps. I have grown very fond of my waders since then, and always keep them handy.
Anyway, I don't know what kind of fly that is your describing, but I'm sure the man who gave it to you was a good fly fisherman, he wouldn't steer you wrong. Hopefully you'll get a chance to get back to the Clinch and check it out, and give us a full report. Pack the waders, too ;)

justfishing
<'))))><

Kingstonian
08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm no expert, but the first one sounds like a beadhead prince and the second may be a black and red zebra midge. Sometimes the winding can look like the lure is beaded. You might look up some pics on the web and see what they are. If they work, you may want to find them again.