PDA

View Full Version : building own rod

buckeyetrouter
08-29-2006, 07:00 AM
If one was to try building thier own rod for the park, what would you look at building and what supplier would you look at???

this really has my interest right now ( making my own rod )

good fishing &
God Bless

Buckeyetrouter

tennswede
08-29-2006, 12:21 PM
If I understand it right, LRO is not carrying rod building supplies and as of now aren't planning on it. If that is correct I don't feel bad about recommending some suppliers. Call LRO and if they reaffirm what I have stated I can give you several good recommendations for rod building sites, suppliers and such. If I was to build a rod for park streams in general I would build a 8ft 4wt as my first rod.

Justatroutbum
08-30-2006, 07:00 PM
I have built several rods for the Smokies.
PM me with your e-mail and I can give you a few websites..or just drive over to Lancaster and I will show you my fly rods,reel,flies,fishing videos,fishing pictures,neat fish decor,my rebuilt bamboo rod,bore you to sleep with fishing stories ect..ect..

buckeyetrouter
08-30-2006, 08:21 PM
whole lotta Lancasters ou there.....PA, OH, TN.....which one you talking about...I'm in Ohio except for the 4-5 times I can sneak away for a trip to the park.......

buckeyetrouter

Justatroutbum
08-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Ohio :)

buckeyetrouter
08-30-2006, 09:14 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOO HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!

Griff
09-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I am looking into building a rod for the park as well. Right now, I am looking at building a 7'-6" 3 wt on a Lamiglass Appalachian Travel blank. I have not figured out all of the particulars yet but I am really excited about it.

buckeyetrouter
09-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I've found Mudhole.com and Anglersworkshop.com but wasn't sure if they were reputable....waiting to hear back from LRO to see if they are carrying or gonna cary rod kits.......

I agree , the thought of fighting a nice trout on a rod that I built myself sounds very exciting.......

Graphite or Glass?????

Buckeyetrouter

Griff
09-01-2006, 01:35 PM
The Lamiglas Appalachian is a high modulus graphite rod. *Here is a link to a review that someone did on a 4 wt.:
http://www.globalflyfisher.com/reviews/rods/lamiglas/appalachian.php

This rod sounds like what I've been looking for, I can't wait to get started.

I priced everything at mudhole.com and I can get everything that I need for around $200. I thought about using one of the less expensive kits that are available but I figured if I was going to build a rod I want it to be one that I would be proud of and fish for a long time.

Griff
09-01-2006, 01:43 PM
buckeyetrouter-

Here is another link that is really informative regarding building your own rod:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/

buckeyetrouter
09-02-2006, 11:14 AM
thanks Griff.....I appreciate the info.....

Hey tennswede...I did hear from LRO and they are not currently carrying building equip....but wouldn't rule out the future....

buckeyetrouter

Griff
09-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I stopped by LRO last night on the way to an awesome evening of fishing on thw West Prong. *They said they probably wont be getting into carrying rod building suppplys anytime soon. *

I found this link this morning, it is a list of suppliers.

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6310

pineman19
09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Hello Buckeyetrouter,

Beware, I began building my own rods around 4 years ago, now I have a closet full of them :P Seriously, it is an enjoyable experience building your own rods and catching some nice fish on something you built yourself. If your ready to make the plunge I would recommend a book by Art Schenk (Fly Rod Building Made Easy) on building a rod from scratch. It is an easy read and shows ways to build rods with many items that you might have laying around your shop or garage. It costs around $25, but it can be worth it if you intend on building more rods in the future. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Neal

buckeyetrouter
09-03-2006, 07:59 AM
thanks Neal.......was thinking that would be my next step ( book or video on building) before I actually bought the rod material. I was also wondering if there is any tooling items that I would absolutely need before attempting this project....also is any one material easier to work with for a beginner that another????

thanks
Buckeyetrouter

pineman19
09-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Hello again,

You won't have to buy many tools to start with, most of the itmes are cheap or you might have them already. You don't need to buy a high dollar rod wrapper to make a nice rod or a motor to turn the rod after you put finish on the guide wraps. The main thing is to take your time and enjoy the experience. Rod material wouldn't make any difference as far as difficulty, although I have only built graphite rods. I plan on building a fiberglass rod for my next project. You may wann not spend too much on your first blank, you can get a pretty good blank or a kit for less than a hundred dollars. PM me if you have any more questions, and I'll do my best to help.

Have fun!

Neal

tennswede
09-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Buckeyetrouter!

Okay, I guess I won't be in the doghouse with LRO then, My recommendation for pricing and selection would be Jann's Netcraft and secondly Cabelas. Cabela's offer a tackle craft catalog or you can go online.

As for books. The book Neal mentioned is real good. I borrowed it from the library and might buy it later on. It is available on Amazon.com for around 15 bucks. Try LRO first they might have it I don't know. I wish LRO would start selling rod building stuff but I realize they can't justify inventory for slow moving items.

Good Luck.

NEAL!

ARE YOU COMING THIS WAY SOON?

buckeyetrouter
09-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey tennswede.....

Oct 16 - 22 at the earlyest....although my Daughter sold her home back here in Ohio and is moving to ?Newport? area....being a good father I may have to help her move some items mid sept...and sneek in some fishing.....

thanks for the info and help.....and your fishing reports keep me going between visits to townsend area, please keep it up for those of use not so close but longing for the park waters.....

maybe we can hook up for some fishing when we are back down, I would love to learn more about fishing the park....

good fishing &
God Bless

buckeyetrouter

tennswede
09-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Buckeyetrouter!

Any time you would like to go I'm game. I had a tough day on Little River today. Fished the same spot I did Sat. Caught two bow's and lost one spool of fluorocarbon a'la $6. Oh well.

Griff
09-06-2006, 10:14 AM
OK. I think I have decided to build a less expensive rod for my first time out. I am looking at the H & H IM6 kit with the charcaol blank. The kit at Hook and Hackle is only $70.32 without a rod case. If you add the rod case it is still only $87.10. This kit haas everything that you need to build the rod. I might substitute a few items like thread color. I might even dress it up a bit with a custom reel seat or special grip from some of the online suppliers. Any thoughts? Has anyone built a rod on this blank before? Oh yeah, it will be a 2 piece, 7'9" 3 weight.

buckeyetrouter
09-08-2006, 10:42 PM
hey Griff.....

that is just about what i am looking to try. gonna have to look up the site you talked about and see what is available....

good luck with the rod, and even more fun fishing with it when you are done.......

buckeyetrouter

Griff
09-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I've started building my rod. I've got to say that this is more fun than I thought it would be. So far everything is going fine. The hardest part is trying to decide what color thread I want to use in the wraps. i would encourage anyone to try this. You can truely make a one-of-a-kind rod that will be a pure joy to fish. I can't wait to get finished and go to LRO to pick out a new reel and line to put on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a light weight reel for a 3 wt rod?

buckeyetrouter
09-23-2006, 02:39 PM
hey Griff.....what kit did you go with, I haven't picked mine out yet and am looking at either a kit from anglersworkshop or one from jann's netcraft.......also, wanting to go with a 2 or 3wt and just haven't decided between glass or graphite....thinking I should go with a good but cheap glass since this will also be my first one.....

buckeyetrouter

Griff
09-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I went with a kit from Hook and Hackle http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/prodinfo.asp?number=BKKIT07

I had them switch out a few things for me which they did with no problems.

They have pretty good prices on their kits. They have a couple of 6'6" 2 wt. kits that look pretty nice.

Griff
10-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Buckeyetrouter-

Have you decided which rod you are going to build yet? Don't put it off too long, you will really enjoy it. I am almost done with mine, should wrap it up this week. I hope to post some pictures when I get it completed.

buckeyetrouter
10-02-2006, 05:15 PM
hey Griff....

did you already have the equip to wrap or did you just make something...seems like a few slats with a V cut into them and some felt would allow the novice to attempt this.....I haven't ordered my kit yet, I'm still struggling with glass or graphite, but I know I want a 2-3wt shorter rod....

buckeyetrouter

Griff
10-03-2006, 11:06 AM
I used the poor-mans wrapping jig made from a cardboard box. Most people start this way. It worked pretty well. If you have the tools and the room building a basic wrapping jig out of wood would be really easy, but the box works just fine.

buckeyetrouter
10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
if I cut two pcs of board with a v notch on each, then lined the v notch with felt, do you think that would be worth trying or should I just go with the corrugated ficture that you got by with until I find my interest level.......

buckeyetrouter

Griff
10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I suggest using the box for your first one. If you do build one use craft foam in the V-notches. The felt can shead and ruin your finish when you epoxy the wraps.

buckeyetrouter
10-03-2006, 07:48 PM
thanks for the advice....think I'll go with the box...I was just on mudhole.com and they had a kit for $68 and another $24 for the assembly items (glue, etc....)

thanks again
buckeyetrouter

Griff
10-06-2006, 03:33 PM
I finished the rod. *Here are a few pics. *It's not perfect and I could show you all of the flaws but I am happy with it for my first rod build.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/PokerGriff/rod001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/PokerGriff/rod004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/PokerGriff/rod2011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/PokerGriff/rod2012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/PokerGriff/rod2010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/PokerGriff/rod2009.jpg

buckeyetrouter
10-06-2006, 11:45 PM
congrats Griff....did you get to fish it yet??????

Buckeyetrouter

Griff
10-06-2006, 11:51 PM
I had about 30 minutes of daylight left after stopping by LRO for a new reel and 3 wt line. I caught a couple of rainbows on the west prong before running out of light. I love how it fishes!

buckeyetrouter
10-07-2006, 08:37 AM
that's awsome brother......I know how good it feels when I catch a fish on a fly that I've tied or a lure I've made...I can't wait to get a rod together and catch a bow on it.......again, congradulations....

buckeyetrouter

buckeyetrouter
11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
hey Griff ( or anyone else who has done this)......question....how do you find the spine of a rod that is 3pc...do the pcs come marked with a line up so they go together right and you can find the spine or do you do each section separately then line up your parts......

buckeyetrouter

Griff
11-01-2006, 10:48 PM
You do each section seperately and then line them up. You might not be able to find the spine/spline on the lower most section but that is OK. Some people say that with the modern rods there is no need to find the spine/spline. I feel like it's worth the few minutes. What rod are you looking at building? I am about to get started on twin ultrlight spin-cast rods for my two girls.

Fishermansfly
11-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Question for you guys, how hard was it? What tools did you have to buy? I'm looking a purchasing a Loomis or Sage 8'6" blank! Wanted to know if you guys baught kits or purchased the pieces independantly? Most places i'm looking at have kits to go with thier rods. What's the benifits or draw backs to single foot guides? I wanted to TiCh snake guides, but I'm seeing quite a few rods built with single foot guides and no one goes into great detail about why one is better than the other. This rod that I want to build, needs to be an all around rod probably a 5 wieght and fish the smokeys and most tailwaters! One last question for you all! Should I buy a cheap rod to start with, till I get the hang of it, or just be methodical with assembly? The blanks i'm looking at purchasing are around 250 to 350, alotta money to mess up! Thanks for any help!

Fishermansfly

Griff
11-08-2006, 01:54 AM
I don't think it was very hard. I really enjoyed it. I only bought a few tools to get started.

You will need something to ream the cork grip to fit your blank. You can use a round file (Lowe's or Home Depot for about $5) or you can use a Razor wand which is a reamer sold specifically for reaming cork for about $7. I bought a razor wand and highly recommend it unless you already have the round file.http://shop.mudhole.com/Razorwand-Reaming-Tool?sc=2&category=83

I also got a 3 piece tool set for wrapping http://shop.mudhole.com/Gudebrod-Combo-Tool-Pack?sc=2&category=851

I made a wrapping jig out of a cardboard box (sorry I don't have a picture).

I would suggest buying a kit for your first one although you can certainly build your own "kit" from one of the online suppliers. I used a kit from Hook and Hackle and asked them to switch out a few things for me. If you call them and let them know that you are building your first rod they will really help you a lot.

Single foot vs. double foot guides have been debated a lot. I chose to use single foot guides becasue I wanted my 3 wt to be as light as possible. Remember, you will have twice as many wraps to do if you go with the double foot guides. Check out some of the rod building forums and do a search and read the debates. I think for a 5 wt you could go either way.

Lastly the question of should you go cheap or build the rod you really want...most people do start with a less expensive rod for their first build. There are some great blanks out there that do not cost a lot of money. Baston Enterprises makes Forcast and Rainshdow and these are really good blanks for the money. Pacific Bay makes a line of blanks to that I have heard good things about. There are several others. $250-$350 is a lot to spend on a blank! I would probably wait on that one until you see how it goes with a less expensive blank. You can build a really nice rod for less than $100. If you enjoy it and want to build another rod then you might build a more expensive rod. Then you would have an extra to let a friend use, etc.

My advice is to take your time designing what you want to build and shop around on the internet to see what is out there. When you do start your build take your time and enjoy it. Good luck.

Griff
11-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Brett - I tried twice to send you a PM but could not get it to work so I am posting it here. Luckily I saved it this time before hitting Send Message.

Brett-

Let's try this again. I just wrote a very helpful and insightful reply that answered all of your questions, solved all of your problems, and had a plan to end world hunger but when I hit Send Message it errored out and I lost it, so you will have to make due with this one.

First of all I am truely sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you , I have had a **** week at work.

I can't give you an opinion on the two rods that you metioned because I do not have any experience with them, they sound like nice blanks though. I was happy with the kit I got from Hook and Hackel. I think that you should be fine with buying all of your pieces seperately as long as you call when you order and let them know what you are looking for and that it is your first build. You will need tip top adhesive, rod builder's epoxy, and finish epoxy, I used flex coat for all of the above. You will need to order thread made for rod building. I like the Gudebrod nylon size A. If you want the color to stay the same as what's on the spool you will need to use color protector.

I have not tried the single trim wraps but they do look nice. Steeldrifter (from rodbuildingforum) just did a rod with them and it looks great. he did say that it took a while and was frustrating so take that into consideration.

I have a home-made wrapping jig (cardboard box), a neat thread tensioner, all of the glues, 2 cork reamers, 2 round files, and several colors of thread that you are welcome to borrow. I am about to finish up my latest rod project and then I am going to concentrate on learning to tie flys.

The most important thing is to take your time designing them and building them.

Rodbuildingforum.com has some great info on it. I saw that you have already found it.

Good luck, ask all the questions you want and I will do my best to help.

Wes

Chuckwalla
11-28-2006, 11:21 PM
I built my first rod about a year a go. I got one of the Hook and Hackle kits. These are great rods. I use my 7.5' 5wt all the time. As far as building, Griff nailed it. Just take your time and don't be afraid to make a mistake.

Here are a few pix of my jig and a rod I built for a friend:

http://home.comcast.net/~boyd.je/Wrapjig1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~boyd.je/Wrapjig2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~boyd.je/Green5wt.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~boyd.je/green_5wt.jpg

Griff
11-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Nice looking wrapping jig and nice rod too.

buckeyetrouter
12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Hey Griff.......

my rod kit should be here by Wedn. .... I ordered a 7'6" 2pc 3wt graphite from Mudhole.com , I will build this one for my daughter for Christmas. I also ordered her one of those new ross flystart reels from LRO to get her going (maybe Dad can get his orvis set back) ;D........

I also was bored waiting for it to get here so I went out and picked up some wood and am finishing up a rod winding device. If it works out I'll bring it to class in Jan. and show you. I've patterned it after one I saw in catalogs, so we'll see how it works.....

buckeyetrouter
ps.....the rod was a Matrix I believe

Griff
12-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about that Matrix blank. How old is your daughter? My girls aren't ready for fly rods just yet, maybe in a couple of years. Enjoy the build! I would like to see your wrapping jig, I am still using a cardboard box. I did add a fancy new thread tensioner to it for building my girls' rods.