PDA

View Full Version : Little River Brown

CanoeFlyGuy
09-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Guys just thought I share a couple photos. *Went fishing with Tim Doyle last Wednesday and I landed my two biggest browns ever on Little River. *Here is a couple shots of the larger of the two. *The first went about 13 inches.

http://static.flickr.com/91/239954529_36eb024492_b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/88/239954527_577628cc02_b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/95/239954523_cf5f347cba_b.jpg

This was the larger of the two, Tim estimated it to go about 25.5". He was caught on a size 16 BH pheasant tail. I couldn't have caught this fish with out Tims advice on fly selection. The smaller one came on the top to a large terestrial. Tim's got some great strategies on fishing these larger surface patterns and I learned a ton that day. Hats off to Mr. Dolye.

buckeyetrouter
09-11-2006, 07:00 AM
hey canoeflyguy....

congradulations and thanks for sharing the pics with us....that is an awsome looking brown.....

buckeyetrouter

Hugh Hartsell
09-11-2006, 07:26 AM
:) Good morning guys and hats off to both of you on such a fine catch, along with the pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. That is truly a catch of a lifetime.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

MTN_TRT
09-11-2006, 08:55 AM
GOOD LORD FELLAS! Congratulations on a truly beautiful fish!

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

russ
09-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Woo Wee!!! What a fish!! :o ;D

Nice job guys!!!!! ;D

RFowler
09-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Awesome brown, guys! A lot of people that fish the park don't even realize that fish that big can be seen, or had.

Griff
09-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Holy Crap that's a nice fish :o

Well done.

scflyfisher
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I've seen a few that big, but I was had by the fish.

KimB
09-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Wow! Please mark the spot on shore so we can burn incense there. Congrats!
KimB.

Joel
09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
I gotta say, I got on the site this morning and couldn't believe my eyes. Back on this afternoon and am truly amazed by that fish. Great job. Will be in in a couple weeks and see how we do.

David Knapp
09-11-2006, 04:48 PM
That is absolutely a gorgeous fish! Congrats and thanks for sharing!!!

tn hound
09-11-2006, 10:14 PM
so where did you say you caught him? :-X

14yearoldflyfisher
09-12-2006, 07:46 AM
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! that is a massive fish for the smokies. and pretty much anywhere else. good job dude.

slickrock
09-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey CanoeFlyGuy

A Great Catch! Question ? Do you change your methods when fishing for large fish like the one you just caught ? Or do you fish normal ?
After fishing 40yrs. in the Park I,ve only hooked one brown, I would consider, over 20ins. I was fishing my normal way using a prince. I,ve caught several 15 to 17ins. fish so I,m not complaining ! Just Like to know!
There is a way , BUT MAY NOT BE LEGAL, RIGHT!

kytroutman
09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
I know of two people who are able to find browns this size and Timmy Doyle is one of them. He is a great guide as these pictures are a testament.

RFowler
09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
The problem isn't finding them. It's the sneakin' up that's tough. Most trophy hunters in the park will wait for stained water to go try out a big fish lair. Knowing what's there beforehand is the ticket.

It looks like Chris and Tim stuck this fish in clear water and a high sun. Good job!

CanoeFlyGuy
09-14-2006, 12:06 PM
We got lucky in the fact that I was able to sneak up on him, with out knowing it. I was fishing the far bank and was moving up stream when I spotted him. I yelled at Timmy is that a fish. Your darn right was his reply. Tim then proceeded to hook two flies onto a stick and throw them out to me. It seemed like it took ten minutes to thread and tie them on cause a was shaking so much. The fish took in about 8 casts with 4x tippet. A lot of luck played into it for sure. Tim selected the flies and I made to cast so I guess that counts for something. Fowler was right on cause we caught him at 12:30pm. I think all of the big fish are in feeding moods in anticipation of the upcoming months.

Fly_Man_Bill
08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Man that is one great fish!!! Thanks for all of the information. It will be a big help on future fishing trips. Once again that Brown is hugh. That is one of the biggest browns I have ever seen come from the Park.. I have seen some caught between 20 to 23.5 inches. But not that massive in body size. big Browns really get my blood pumping.

Thanks,
Bill

May the Lord Bless you this day...

flyman
08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
What a brute! Wish I could have seen the drama play out. Catching the big boys like that is a whole differnet ball game. Thumbs up to you and Tim:smile:

jeffnles1
08-02-2007, 09:27 PM
My freind, that is a nice fish!

Jeff

bamafisherlady
08-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh, that is sooo not fair!! Thanks for the pictures though, and really I give you my congratulations. I just keep thinking and hoping, maybe that'll be me someday... Great job.

ijsouth
08-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Wow, what a pig - an impressive fish anywhere. I wonder how old it is - how long it took to reach that size in relatively infertile waters.

snaildarter
08-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Unless I get to live near there someday (live in Nashville now), I will never catch a wild trout that big in the Applalachians. Congratulations. That thing is so big if it jumped up in the air it would get stuck.

fishNlady
08-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Holy cow! What a Fish! :eek:

Nice!

moflyer3
08-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I find it hard to believe that was caught in GSMNP. How would that even be possible considering the lack of a decent food source??

Troutman
08-03-2007, 02:14 PM
That fish was caught in the Little River "inside" the park. I know both the fishermen personally and the location it was caught. That fish was sighted and stalked by very skilled fishermen and implying otherwise is well......bad judgement. My 2 cents.

Brown trout over 15-16" feed mainly on smaller fish, crawfish, big stoneflies, grampus. The little river is full of that foodsource and can grow some surprising big fish.

moflyer3
08-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I should have said "I am awestruck that was caught in GSMNP". No disrespect intended. I think I focused on the first picture that made me think it was a 30 pounder or something.. Regardless, easily the prettiest brown I have seen.

My youngest caught his first fish last weekend. I have attached the pic but it may just show up as a link. It looks bigger than it was due to the camera angle but impressive nonetheless. He isnt a fly fisher....yet.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/kruhmann/7-22-2007-02.jpg

Rog 1
08-03-2007, 05:27 PM
There are some big trout in that river....in years back I can remember walking up Fish Camp to Goshen and looking down into some of the large pools and seeing trout that would give you the shakes.....most of those trout were eventually poached by bait fishermen......a fish doesn't get that big without some smarts.....my uncle up there knows a local preacher that knows the location of most of the large fish on the river...and that is all he fishes for....I myself cannot afford such luxury....

Jswitow
08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
There are big browns in the Little River and the number used to be 100 fish 16" or better in the Little River *per mile!* Those fish usually feed at night or when the water is high or off color. One year in October I walked upon two browns paired up, the larger about 26" and the smaller about 22". Watch the tails of pools any shallow slower water near a trough. Any rock in the tail that appears to have room under it is worth a drift or two, or a shot with a streamer. Most of the big browns I see spook after I step on the rock they are under........ and downstream they go. They are mostly ambush hunters though. I have landed 10" browns on 4-1/2" streamers. Don't be afraid to use them, its just one more facet in the flyfishing arsenal. The quickest way to get a shot at one of these fish is to book a day with somebody like Tim Doyle, they can give you his number at Little River.
Best,
John

christopher
08-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Not sure, was it a terestrial, streamer, or bhpt you caught that brown on?

Fishermansfly
08-04-2007, 10:06 PM
He's a pretty cool guy! He works for the Orvis Sevierville store as manager over the fly fishing deparment! I'm almost positive he caught that on a size 16 bhpt! Chris and Doug Moore (his buddy) have caught some other really nice fish from around here! Google up "Tuckaseegee toads" in the video section of google then sit back and relax and watch those two reel in some monsters! Doug also used to work for the Orvis Sevierville store but has since left! I know Doug used to guide but I think it is a thing of the past!!!!

In reference to the waters here not holding big fish! You all haven't seen some of the streches my father and I have seen! I havent personally been able to oversee the electrofishing in the park. But, due in part to what I've heard I believe some would be amazed at what comes out of those "Small Streams" Byron told a story once about him a good buddy spending a morning fishing in Abrams Creek and got skunked, either later that day or the next morning Byron and his bud electrofished the same section uncovering a multitude of fish with one being a large fish! Byron would better tell this story! My father and I went fishing late summer last year and found a honey hole. From the road with my father below I looked over a 15 ft section of water and saw upwards of 15 fish all over 15". Two or more going 18+ inches and one that would have tipped any 1's scales for measurments of trout! All were actively feeding fish the biggest sitting in an extremely fast moving section of water diving in and out to catch his meal! It was a very interesting sight and allowed me to see the pecking order of fish! Biggest in the riffle and the farther back you got the smaller the fish got! All of the bigger fish were sitting directly outside of the fast moving water and would dive in for its meal and exiting almost exactly were it left off! A neat reaction from the fish occurred! There was very little to no inspection of the food they were eating. They would move from side to side never moving more than 12 to 15 inches! Never moving forward or back to further inspect the meal. While making cast to some of the smaller guys in the rear of the pack they would investigate the meal moving with our flies until they became discouraged. We missed several opportunities that day casting to these guys!

I also moved into the pool below these fish casting to them! I would scare several smaller fish off but the longer I sat they would re appear sometimes within 2' of my leg! Casting had little to no effect on them. At one point in time I attempted to bring my fly back to retie and recieved a nice hit on the surface to my orange indicator! All of this completely blew my mind away from everthing I had previously learned about fishing in the park! Subdued clothes, being stealthy, and making one or two casts to a fish before scaring it to the bottom. None of these rules applied! Dad and I would make 10 or so casts to a fish before changing flies. Once changed we would go right back to casting only recieving a strike on our first cast!

None the less I think that there are some impressive fish in some skinny water in the park! There very smart and hard to see but none the less they are there! I truly think that this is the reason why so many of us spend an ample amount of our week, preparing, talking, POSTING, and otherwise fishing for these elusive big guys! After all these are the things most avid fly fisherman dream of and only wish to talk about! It is like any other sport out there! It's like going to the superbowl for me but being able to tell folks that I was the one who got the ring! After all if everyone out there could land a fish like that everytime they went fishing, there wouldn't be much of a sport to it! But along the way, all of the spills in the creek, all of the pint size fish we catch, and leaving all of our greeny weenies in the trees as decoys we wouldn't be able to dream about being out in the stream with breath taking nature, spending it with good friends, and always catching that one that got away! For lack of better words it keeps us going back! It's what keeps this message board going!

My two cents!
Fishermansfly!