PDA

View Full Version : GSM Fishing Report Sept 21st and 22nd

bassettfly
09-24-2006, 03:06 PM
What a great week of fishing! Got to take the week off from work to fly fish some of my favorite NC/TN streams. Spent Thursday fishing Bradley Fork and must have caught 25+ all on an grey EHC with Hugh's SMB as a dropper. On Friday, fished the Little River above the Elkmont campground, weather was a little ugly, but ended the day catching 40+ fish with the largest being a 16" brown trout. All fish were caught again on a orange EHC with SMB as the dropper fly. Saw a teriffic hatch of large October caddis on the Little River which convinced me to fish a #12 orange EHC all day.

Anyone headed up to fish these streams should take an extra hour to hike in a few miles. The fishing is better and you don't have to worry about fishing behind someone all day. The extra exercise doesnt hurt either :)

pineman19
09-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Great report Bassettfly,

I hope to be heading that way within the next 2 weeks. I agree with you on the hiking in a ways and then fishing. I like people, but I do not enjoy having too many around when I am flyfishing, just kinda spoils the experience for me. Even if the fishing is good down low, I still end up hiking a ways to get away from gawkers and such. I enjoy Braley Fork as well, especially the upper portion. Haven't fished Bradley for about 2 years and I may try to get up there on this trip.

Have fun!

Neal

justfishing
09-25-2006, 01:37 PM
BF,

Sorry for the dumb question *::)

What's a SMB? *:)

Where they hitting it or the dry?

Thanks

justfishing
<'))))><

russ
09-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I think a SMB is a Smokey Mountain Blackbird. It's a fly that Hugh Hartsell developed himself and it is a good one ;D.

Your next question is; what does is look like? ;)

Go to http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/ and find the link to the flies.

justfishing
09-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Russ,

Thanks for the inside lingo. *;)

Now I feel like I belong. *:)

justfishing
<'))))><

russ
09-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Just wait until you graduate to ROFLMAO (this one gave me fits for the longest time), or SMBSH, or GRHEN, or BFTNSRFWETOE.
I'll give you a little hint on the last one since you've probably never seen that one, it is;
Big Fly That No Self Respecting Fish Would Even Think Of Eating. i specialize in those ;D