PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Grand Slam

tennswede
10-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I caught all three species of trout available in the park today, well Brook Trout is not really a trout it's a char. I caught the brookie twenty yards from the main stream I was fishing in a small tributary. Do you all consider this a true slam? Just wondering because otherwise I have to redo it. ;D

Paula Begley
10-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Hans,

You got the slam! Congratulations!

Paula

tennswede
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks Paula!

Now I guess I should try to redoe it by getting all three in the same stream.

russ
10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Hans, you and Paula are wrong. *A true slam is catching all three species out of the same HOLE. *i thought everyone already knew that ;D I guess you'll just have to keep trying ;)

tennswede
10-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Russ!

Man you are tough ;D

Anyway, sorry I haven't been able to fish with you this summer/fall. Did you make it to WV? If so did you get to fish any?

russ
10-10-2006, 09:33 AM
I drove 901.3 miles to WV and fished for 3 hours :-/. I expected a stream like the french broad or something but it was exactly like the Tellico. i did manage to catch and release an 16 or 18" brown. I was using a rooster tail and a spinning rod. I hooked another one that was even bigger but he threw my hooks after he bent two hooks on a treble hook :o. Dad and his buddy didn't bring anything to hand but they hooked a couple. i did see a 30" + fish jump out of the water about 10' from me. it scared the willikers out of me. Next time i go, i'll bring the fly rod and see what i can do. I don't like fishing a stream with a spinning rod and rooster tails. it's too hard to cast up stream and make the lure work correctly.

Kytroutbum
10-10-2006, 11:26 PM
A Slam in Saltwater (Keys style) is just catching A Bone, A Permit and a Tarpon- period. Guide will run all over the place to get the third if the client gets the first two. I had a guide tell me that I had gotten a "High Country Slam"- Rainbow- "Pure" Cutthroat out of the lake and the Brookie out of the feeder stream. I've never heard of the same hole- just same body of water. :-/
What have you others heard??

russ
10-11-2006, 08:59 AM
I was just giving tennswede a hard time about catching them out of the same hole. My guess is that would be pretty unlikely. I personally think that if you catch all three, whenever, then you've got the slam. A really, really good slam is catching all three on the same day. An even better slam is catching all three from the same stream, in one day. I'd have to say that catching all three, from the same stream, on the same day would be the ultimate slam. I've never caught all three from the same stream on the same day but i've gotten the other ones I've mentioned. (except for all 3 from the same hole) ;)

Baldeagle
10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
This is the first time I have responded on this message board but I have been reading it for the last few months. I just had to respond to the Smokey Mountain Grand Slam. I know there will be doubters, but I did achieve a slam in the same hole! It happened two years ago on Caldwell Fork about a mile upstream from the campground. I had just landed a nice brown when my daughter came up beside me.
On my next cast I caught a nice rainbow! I told her I wanted to make one more cast under an overhanging rock and low and behold a beautiful brookie inhaled the fly! The brown and the brookie both were in full mating colors. There had been very high water a few weeks before we got there so maybe the brookies had been pushed down low because I caught a few more down low.

tennswede
10-12-2006, 07:38 AM
I believe you. The are has brookies higher up and it is possible with high water that they migrated down a little ways. Good job.

russ
10-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Allright tennswede, there you go. The challenge has been presented before you. Will you accept it? ;D

tennswede
10-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Russ!

Okay, It involves a roundtrip of 13.5 miles (walking) or driving over to Cattaloochee area and that is a 2.5 hours one way driving. I guess walking is the healthier and better alternative. When are you ready to go? ;D

russ
10-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I'll be ready for the hike in about a month. Grouse season opens this weekend, and I'll probably feel like I've hiked that far after Saturday ;).

Lets plan it for next spring. i don't like fishing in the winter because i feel guilty about being in the woods without my dog. :-/

kylemc
10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Saw 3 grouse yesterday while fishing.

Kyle

russ
10-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Saw 3 grouse yesterday while fishing.

Kyle
Where, where, where? :)

buzzmcmanus
10-13-2006, 10:45 AM
russ

I flushed 3 while on the early season hog/deer hunt in the bear reserve 2 weeks ago. They were by the old fire tower at Farr Gap. If I remember correctly, I've seen them in the road close to the same place a couple years ago. Must be something in the area that they like.

Buzz

russ
10-13-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm somewhat familiar with the area. * I've been around Kirland Creek, and all over that area. *Where is Farr Gap? *What stream is it close to. *I've got good topo maps of the area but i didn't see it on them. *I also need to figure out where this bear reserve is. *I bet I'm not supposed to be in there during a hunt :o

Oh ya, sorry to hijack this thread fellers. But if I've got someone telling me where some birds are I've got to follow up on it anyway i can ;)

Denver1911
10-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi. I've been reading this board for a couple years (usually check in to see what's going on before my next trip down from Kentucky). I've been fishing the Smokies for 25 years off and on. It is possible to catch all three from the same hole. Been There, Done That. I'm betting I could do it again if asked to. No, I 'm not telling where.

Ya'll have a good one.
Denver

buzzmcmanus
10-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Russ,

Its on the Whiteoaks Flat Quad topo map. The bear reserve is mainly the Citico Creek Wilderness area and some surrounding area. If you take doublecamp creek road to the top, Farr Gap is the hiking/horse trail that goes south along the top of the ridge. If you stay on the road a short ways, the old fire tower will be on the right hand side. There is a gated road that goes to it, but, it is only 100 yards off the main road. You had better read the regulations about hunting South Cherokee-Tellico Unit (Pg 27 of the booklet). I think if you drop off the ridge to the north, you are out of the bear reserve and small game hunting with dogs is permitted. However, I've never been 100% sure of the exact boundary lines for it. I'll be there next weekend on another hog/deer hunt, I'll try to remember to get Lat./Long. coordinates with my GPS for you.

Another spot I see alot of grouse is in the Foothills WMA. I deer/bear hunt on the Six Mile side and flush several grouse along the powerline cut every year. Especially at one certain low spot on the south side before the climbing gets rough. Scares the snot out of me everytime they take off.

Good luck wherever you go this weekend. I'll keep you informed of any more sightings.

russ
10-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Wow, thanks Buzz-saw. A guy couldn't ask for anything more, endless you wanted to try pointing for me just in case my dog wont do it very well toimorrow :-/. I'll check into those spots and might give it a try tomorrow.

As far as Foothills WMA goes. i've been there once, and hiked up the road along the power lines but it is pretty hard going and it was hot that day. Plus I had to walk a LONG way down someone's driveway just to get there so maybe I was in the wrong access spot. :o

buckeyetrouter
10-13-2006, 02:26 PM
what ya shootin' russ.....I have a wonderful Beretta 686 Silver Pigion 12/28 field over/under for sale, only been fired 15-20 times....just never get out in the field anymore and can't see that kind of gun going to waste.......

buckeyetrouter

russ
10-13-2006, 02:53 PM
buzz-saw check your pm's.

buckeyetrouter,
i've got a 12 gauge automatic. It's modeled after some high priced gun maybe a beneli but mine is some knock off brand. The gun isn't the reason that i don't hit any of the birds i shoot at though :-[. i've got a 6 month old baby girl at home, so i don't think my wife will let me buy anymore guns. Wish i could though, that sounds like a nice gun. Why don't you go hunting anymore. i've only been seriously going the past two seasons, this will be my third, ever since i got a brittany spaniel. We don't find very much, the quail in East TN are pretty much all gone or on private land and i don't know anyone who will let me hunt on their land that might have some quail. plus i trained my dog myself, so he busts birds more than he'll point them. Especially grouse. i'll be happy if we hear one tomorrow and i'd be even more happy if Duke smells and busts one. I aint getting my hopes up for a point though, not on a grouse on his first hunt anyways.

JP
10-19-2006, 09:25 PM
How about a grand slam in same hole, in 3 casts. *Did it on Straight Fork in the pool above where the road crosses the creek last spring.

Predator 8-)

russ
10-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Three casts, three fish, same hole, 3 different species. WOW ;D. I guess to top that you'd need to fish the same hole with three flies tied on and catch all three species in 1 cast. :o Don't see how it could be any more of a slam than that.

JP
10-20-2006, 02:56 PM
How about catching a big brown on a wooly booger, *flipping it onto the bank where it spits out a 10 inch rainbow, that coughs up a small brookie? * HMMMMMM????

Predator :-/

russ
10-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Well dang, you keep coming up with harder ways to have a slam. :o