PDA

View Full Version : Brookie fishing in the winter

mtnman2888
10-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Just wanted to see what y'alls thoughts were on fishing for brookies during the winter. I know that most people try and stay lower during the colder months where the water is warmer, but i know at some point during the winter i'm going to have to satisfy my appetite for some brookie fishing!

DryFly1
10-14-2006, 09:00 PM
mtnman,

I have fished up high for many years in Nov&Dec and have landed specs with dry and wet flies. Enjoy the solitude and be prepared for inclement weather conditions at a moments notice!

DryFly1

mtnman2888
10-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks! I really wanna do some brookie fishing over here in nc, but the water is a little different than the smokies. Over here, the water is relatively shallow and i have never caught a brook on a nymph, just dries. I imagine on days where it is mild, 50's or so, they would hit dries, but what do you do on those cold days in the 30's and 40's??

DryFly1
10-14-2006, 10:21 PM
mtnman,

Have never really fished on the NC side during winter.

I will have to admit that I am not a big fan of 32 degrees or below FF. Reason is,I like a delicate presentation and prefer not to toss a iced flyline that feels like a cable flung through iced guides!

Above freezing is certainly doable later in the morning when things warm up a bit.
I still use the old stand by dry's with some success but a Hare's ear or Pheasant tail tends to straighten-out-the-tippett with more success (at least for me). Hope this helps. Enjoy this winters fishing!
DryFly1