PDA

View Full Version : Fishpond Shooting Star

mtnman2888
10-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this chest/backpack system? It seems really nice and i could really use it during my hike-in trips, which is the norm for me. Not having a backpack with the necessary essentials prevents me from doing the longer trips so i'm in the market for one and this seems about as nice as there is. Thanks alot.

buckeyetrouter
10-13-2006, 07:10 AM
just this last August I purchased a fishpond system from LRO for myself and one for my fiance. The quality appears to be wonderful, but more importantly, the comfort was incredible. There was so much more freedom and the chest pack was a delite to work with on the stream. *These units have extra fly boards available so you can separate your flies and put your desired selection in the table ( the part that opens and displays your flies. I would suggest that you put your fly boards that you are not using into a zip lock or something like that as I had a few flies fall off and this appears to catch them so they don't get loose in the pack. Also, the strap system is comfortable...watch the straps as you look at other systems as the units with just a flat nylon strap would eventually wear on your neck area and other contact points. I would highly recommend the fishpond line of equipment.......ps, there are alot of loops and areas to attach needed equipment for on the water

buckeyetrouter

kytroutman
10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
I purchased the Orvis backpack with the removable chest pack and water bladder. It's great to have the space for everything in one location, including two rod slots and reel pockets. The removable chest pack is handy once you get where you are hiking to.

mtnman2888
10-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys! It looks like a really nice outfit and i really want one, the only complaint i have is the steep price, but i guess when you think about all the stuff that you are getting it's really not bad at all. Does it have any small pockets like on the side of the pack? It would be nice if it had a pocket like that so i could put my camera in there and just reach around a little bit and pull it out. Again, thanks for the replies.

mtnman2888
10-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I was just looking at LRO's online store and noticed the new fishpond high country tech pack and it looks really neat. If anyone from LRO is reading this, i would like to know what you thought of it. I am VERY interested in it, i actually like it better than the shooting star.

arkansastraveler
10-16-2006, 05:31 PM
As far as cost goes, my father-in-law helped my wife purchase a nice fishing vest for my birthday when we first got married. It cost in excess of $120. That was 15 years ago, and the thing is still a long way from finished. I am trading it out to a chest pack of some sort, because I think it will be handier. But all in all that is only like $8/year. Makes saving up your lunch money to make the purchase sounds like a better investment that way.

So far, it looks like the Fishpond stuff is pretty quality stuff. I am thinking it should demonstrate the same performance. Now I just have to decide which one fits me. Any suggestions?

Byron Begley
10-16-2006, 06:51 PM
I saw the High Country Tech Pack at the Fly Tackle Dealer Show in Denver back in August. It was Fishpond's featured New Product. It looked great but that was a busy time and I can't remember that much about it. As far as I know all the new Fishpond products will be here at the store this week. We ordered everything and I think Daniel said everything shipped. Give us a call in a day or two and we'll give you more information. Fishpond is one of my favorite companies. They make great gear.

Byron

buckeyetrouter
10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
hey Ark......you will love the fishpond products, I am absolutely satisfied with my chest pack and it replaced an Orvis Guide vest....I will probably upgrade to the combo chest/back pack next year so I can do some good hike in fishing......

leaving in approx. 4 hrs (4:00am) for Townsend to spend the rest of week fishing and hiking/photo taking......

been dreaming about that prime rib dinner at Timbers since August....hmmmmm

buckeyetrouter

arkansastraveler
10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Ok, finally got my hands on a couple of Fishpond chest packs to look at. Have seen the vest, luggage etc before, but never the chest packs.

Looks like it is between the Blue River, chest/lumbar pack, and the Windwalker chest pack. it appears to me that the main difference is one is verticle and one is horizontal. The Windwalker looks slightly bigger, but the Blue River seems to have a roomier pockets since they all have the similar dimensions.

As far as the little fly holders ( zip lock bags and the like). It appears that if you were to put the hook side of some adhesive velcro strips on the botom of a tandard fly box that it would stick real good.

Any thoughts?

D-Drake
10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
mtnman2888,

The new Fishpond items just showed up yesterday afternoon. *There is some very cool stuff for Fall. *The new Timberline thermos/flasks are very neat and the coolers and new Sweetwater reel cases are great!

The High Country Tech Pack is a neat pack. *It only comes in the one color, Moss Green with Orange accents. *It does not have a way to secure a rod tube to the side of it. *It doesn't even have some compression straps on the side like the Double Haul does.

The Shooting Star Pack sounds like it would be perfect for you. *It has places on both sides of the pack to hold a rod tube and also attachment straps on the bottom of the pack. *You can use a hydration system with this bag and it also has spots to put water bottles. *On the top of the pack is a water resistant place to put a camera. *It is right on top of the pack behind your head and it is even fleece lined. *Store in the very bottom of the pack is a raincover that you can pull out if it begins to shower. *This is definetly a great pack! *We have the Moss Green in stock.

Daniel

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/files/master/catagories/fishpond/sstarlarge.jpg

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=16813&cat=0&page=1

mtnman2888
10-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks alot! I really want one it's just kinda hard to part with that much money over a backpack!! I'll probably end up getting one soon, however, i'm hoping that i'll be up there soon and can come look at it in person. Is it the best backpack system like that out???

Thanks again.

Byron Begley
10-19-2006, 06:28 PM
After seeing the Shooting Star and High Country side by side I can tell you that they are completely different. The High Country has a much smaller pack and you can't attach rod tubes to it. To me the High Country is a piece of fishing equipment everyone could use and the Shooting Star is for long treks into the backcountry where you will be gone all day. I think we'll sell a lot more High Country systems. They are both nice. Daniel, how did you get those photos in here?

Byron

mtnman2888
10-19-2006, 08:34 PM
From my understanding, the shooting star has "compression straps" on them, where are they located?? It's probably not big enough to carry my waders and shoes (which are in a simms wader bag), so i would like to strap it to the bottom of the bag, if possible.

Thanks again for all the input. I've really gotten some good information from y'all, feels like i got every angle covered!

astro
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
how did you get those photos in here? *

Byron

He did it like this *;)

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/files/master/catagories/fishpond/wasatchsmall.jpg

Used an image from your store as the link to put it in between the tags generated by the photo button above. *top row, 3rd button over. Look at the properties of the photo (right click on it) and you can see where it came from.

but not limited to your web images . . . by using a link from my photo gallery on smugmug.com (or anyone elses web photo storage)

http://wulimaster.smugmug.com/photos/2807194-S.jpg

no stress on your server and photos can be shared *8-)

Byron Begley
10-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Cool, Course I can't right click. I'm on a Mac. There are a bunch of PC's here in the building so I'll give it a try soon. I don't know much about the message board. I do change the photos at the top of the page every morning. How did you get the photo of that fish? Did you take the photo?

Byron

mtnman2888
10-23-2006, 09:17 PM
I tried using photobucket to put photos up here and it didn't work. I copied and pasted the links and i thought the pic would show up but nothing.........just the link.

MTN_TRT
10-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Yall mentioned that there was no way to attach rod tubes to the high country pack. Which really
disappoints me , but anyways, is there anyway that i could take small nylon rope and cinch to the pack? I know thats kinda..uhh cheap (maybe?) hehe I would really like to have the shooting star but im afraid that it would be a bit much, the high mtn. pack seems perfect-except for the rod tube thing. Is there another
pack system that might be even better?

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

mtnman2888
10-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I feel the exact same way, the high country would be perfect for me except for not having a place to hold rod tubes.

astro
10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
*How did you get the photo of that fish? *Did you take the photo?

Byron

Yes. * I like to do some underwater photography. *The photo is from the the exotic location of "Falling Rock Quarry" in LaGrange, KY.
Just messing around . . . sowewhat better photos from where the water is clearer, salty and much warmer *:)
but I thought the bluegill was appropriate. * *8-)

but catching one of these would make a good story . . .
http://wulimaster.smugmug.com/photos/105142182-M-1.jpg

Paula Begley
10-25-2006, 10:45 AM
From my understanding, the shooting star has "compression straps" on them, where are they located?? It's probably not big enough to carry my waders and shoes (which are in a simms wader bag), so i would like to strap it to the bottom of the bag, if possible.

Thanks again for all the input. I've really gotten some good information from y'all, feels like i got every angle covered!

I just loaded the Shooting Star with a pair of Simms G3 waders and a pair of Chota STL boots. *They fit in the main compartment, but not much else would.

Their are gear straps located on the bottom of the pack - I am not sure they are long enough to strap on a wader bag, though. *They are only about 4 inches in diameter when fully extended. *The compression straps on are on the sides of the pack and help compress the main compartment when loaded. There are also straps on the side of the pack that hold rod tubes in place.

Hope this helps.

Paula

astro
10-26-2006, 11:28 AM
I tried using photobucket to put photos up here and it didn't work. I copied and pasted the links and i thought the pic would show up but nothing.........just the link.

make sure that you're pasting the link in between image tags. * you can just type them in or they are generated if you use the "insert image" button in the row to the right of Add YaBBC tags: