PDA

View Full Version : Hike in fishing

mtnman2888
10-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Got a question for all of y'all that love to do some hike-in fishing: What all do you carry with you??? My list is pretty basic stuff, although i am looking to probably add a few more things to it. I started another thread in the gear section about the fishpond shooting star because i'm thinking of getting that. Right now i have an old, old pack that ain't cutting it anymore. Anyways, here's what i carry:

Compass
Blanket
LED Light
Whistle
Extra Socks
Large Knife
Water and Food
Box of Waterproof Matches
Fire Starter
First Aid Kit
Map(s)
Rain Jacket

I'm thinking of adding one of those ultra small (and light) backpacking stoves that way i can heat up some mre's, oatmeal, or whatever else.

Kytroutbum
10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Are you talking about an all day hike or an over nighter?

mtnman2888
10-20-2006, 06:05 AM
Sorry, i guess i should have clarified that. Just an all day hike. I don't quite yet have the capacity to do overnighters, but maybe one day soon i'll get me a small tent.

russ
10-20-2006, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't carry a blanket on a day trip, endless you are tallking about one of those that will fold up and fit in your pocket. I figure if I have to spend the night because i'm hurt or something then i'll build a fire. If i can't build a fire then what does it matter if I've got a blanket, I'll be dead anyways. I wouldn't take a stove for a day trip either. Everything i carry fits into my fishing vest. I also have a signalling mirror just in case.

buzzmcmanus
10-20-2006, 08:44 AM
I would leave the blanket and large knife at home. They're nothing but dead weight. If you plan on doing a simple overnight trip, the only 2 things I would add to this list is a sleeping bag and a bivy sack. My bivy sack is made by Cabelas, is waterproof and weighs less than a pound. My sleeping bag stays in it for the entire trip and I put it straight into the compression bag. As for a stove, I don't carry one even when I bowhunt elk in Colorado. Just buy the MRE's that have the heat packets in them. They don't heat your food hot, however they do warm them up some. Throw away the extra packaging, coffee and hot sauce if you want to save weight. Don't forget your fly boxes either. I once packed in on a Friday afternoon, set-up camp (threw my bivy sack on the ground) and when I went to go fishing that evening, relized that I had left all my flies in the Jeep. I enjoyed an evening camping and hiked out the next morning.

Jswitow
10-20-2006, 10:47 AM
One more thing I carry when I remember is a pack of firecrackers. If a bear becomes a nuisance light the pack and throw it at him. You won't see the bear again. If you like the heated food take the stove. The knife may come in handy if you want to clean a fish or two.....or three for lunch.
Best,

russ
10-20-2006, 11:15 AM
I once packed in on a Friday afternoon, set-up camp (threw my bivy sack on the ground) and when I went to go fishing that evening, relized that I had left all my flies in the Jeep. I enjoyed an evening camping and hiked out the next morning.
I bet you were pretty aggrevated with yourself. ;D I drove to the Smokeis once and forgot my fly rod. >:(

I'd keep the large knife. *i carry a marine kabar with me at all times when i'm fishing. *I display it proudly on my wading belt for everyone to see. *I know it wouldn't do much good in my hands fighting off a bear or a caddy-wampus but it might keep SOMEONE from messing with me. *Plus it looks really cool ;D

DryFly1
10-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Mtnman,
Good information given thus far. Priorty #1 for me is a simple "day plan" given to someone at home that details what,where,when (you get the point). This way if something ominus happens my chances of survival greatly increases!

#2 When your overnighters start your list will change somewhat. As far as shelter- you could go with a bivy-as mentioned, a hammock,(of course you will be right at table height for bears) or tarp tent(my favorite). As far as stoves are concerned my favorite is a cheap alcohol stove, its light and very earth friendly (you can even build your own). I am a coffee drinker and love my stove

# FYI I prefer to go ultralight- if this is something you like ,there are many websites that discuss UL gear.

Good luck and enjoy...

buzzmcmanus
10-20-2006, 12:13 PM
DryFly1, You're right about your priority #1. Never leave home without writing out exactly where you'll be. I used to leave a note on my vehicle as well, but with all the brake-ins, I don't like to advertise that I won't be back until such a date and time.

Russ, aggrevated was not the word for it. I keep trying to tell myself that I had a wonderfull night camping, however it was probably the worst night I've ever spent in the woods. I had just started tying my own flies and had a whole box of them tied just for that trip. I was so mad at myself I could hardly sleep and considered packing out in the dark.

DryFly1
10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey Buzz_Saw,

How about note to self as well as "day plan"- "BRING FLIES" :)

By the way, I was fishing the white river and slipped and dropped a whole box of wet and dry flies. There was going to be one happy FF downstream.

Kytroutbum
10-22-2006, 01:30 AM
I carry my waders and shoes ,fly gear lunch in a day pack that I run up a tree near where I want to fish. I carry a small water filter, a couple large garbage bags- (warmth/ raincoat), extra shoe laces, cheap back up reel, some duck tape, small flashlight w/ extra batteries, small first aid kit, extra leader, tippet, extra fly box.

In the back of my vest- a folded survival blanket- they do work, cheap plastic poncho, for warmth also, a couple food/chocolate bars. I also carry a sealed tube with Sinus Tylenol (I get sinus headaches) and Aspirin-(aches/pains and *heart attacks). I also carry a whistle, fire starters and lighters, pencil type flash light. I'll "load" my vests these in the spring so I always have them if needed.

I fish solo a lot, *I'll call my wife with my plans that day before I go in. Having "almost" had cardiac problems, while fishing in the park years ago, I started camping in the larger campgrounds. I make aquaintences with campers around me, and let them or NPS volunteers, know where I'll be fishing-or tell them I'll leave a note in my tent.

I, also, carry a canister of bear spray on my belt. I'm a list maker also.

buckeyetrouter
10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Don't forget a disposible camera, as luck would have it you may catch that lunker and not have anything to preserve the memories....

buckeyetrouter

mtnman2888
10-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Yeah i have a digital, a pentax optio w20. I love it! It takes great pictures and it's waterproof in case it takes an unexpected dip! :D

tbryan
10-24-2006, 07:46 PM
As far as stoves are concerned my favorite is a cheap alcohol stove, its light and very earth friendly (you can even build your own).

Hey Dry Fly 1 could you tell me how to build one of those alcohol stoves? I love backpacking and was wondering what kind of light weight stove I could take to cook some food and?

DryFly1
10-24-2006, 09:40 PM
tbryan,

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

If you do not receive this as a hyperlink just highlight-copy and paste to google or your favorite searce engine..

I hope you like this a much as I do. It's commonly called a "pepsi can stove." It's light and burns denatured alcohol which can be found most anywhere. It's also fun to make if you are into that type of thing. You can also buy one on line for under $20.00, just do a searce...

Happy FF, Hiking and building.... DryFly1

tbryan
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Dry Fly 1, that thing looks sweet and hopefully pretty easy to make I have already started setting aside some Dr. Pepper cans hopefully they will work. I plan on doing some more hiking and backpacking when it gets a little warmer. We are heading out later today and going to the Nattahala National Forest just a little ways over the TN line into NC to camp and catch some big brookies hopefully. Thanks again for the link it is a really cool website.

DryFly1
10-26-2006, 02:12 PM
tbryan,

Enjoy the "Dr.Pepper" *stove. *You might want to add a - wind screen and stand for your stove, which you can also make. You will be the envy of all your friends!

* Check this out- http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearAlcoholStove.html

This guy's got a cool web site..

Woody
10-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Hay don't foget a fine chardonnay. And if you eat what you catch some hickory chips

arkansastraveler
10-27-2006, 01:32 PM
LED Flashlight, pencil flashlight, those are all great, but I have had them fail me when i needed them most. A little too much corrosion from being in fishing gear too long, batteries weak. I used to carry spare batteries, then I went to new batteries for every trip, but I still had failures occasionally. I have started carrying glow sticks. I still have my trusty flash light, but just in case I have a glow stick or two tucked away. They give good light for several hours, are good for a year or two of storage, and are very light weight.

Just my two cents.

Kytroutbum
10-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Dryfly1- Thanks for the info on the stove. I am getting concerned about the High Human Impact in the park. I've started carrying a propane stove when overnighting, but am going to try the alcohol stove.
Randy Sale

Giantfish
10-27-2006, 02:49 PM
WOW! :o That stove is a great idea, also it's easier and when your finished you could just toss it at home and make a new one or just reuse it! *Thanks for the site. *I'm only fourteen but I do love Hiking and fishing and this is a great idea for my trips. *Except I would use a coke can!