PDA

View Full Version : Poly-Yarn

bhall15
10-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey guys. I hear it is good to use white poly-yarn to make the parachute posts on parachute flies. What is this stuff and where can I get some? Thanks for your help.

Brandon

David Knapp
10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Polypropylene yarn is definately good stuff for dries because it floats well. *LRO has an excellent selection and I'm sure if you give them a call they can help you out with whatever colors you're wanting. *I would start with a few basic colors. *The yellow is very useful for tying a great yellow sally pattern that is easy to tie and of course white is a color you will want. *Have fun experimenting!

bhall15
10-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the help Plateau Angler!

Grumpy
10-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Don't forget chartreuse, pink or orange for the smaller dries, they are a lot easier to see at 40'-50' 8-)

Grumpy

Dave
12-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Has anybody ever figured out the difference between poly yarn, antron & "sparkle yarn"? Just to eyeball it they look similar and different sources seem to use them for similar stuff. Always assumed "antron" was a brand name and poly yarn was generic, never thought much about it. Just saw the thread on the poly yarn and thought I'd ask (I assume the poly yarn floats and the antron sinks?). Not an earth shattering question, was just curious.

Stonefly
01-26-2007, 06:47 PM
There's a fly from Sweden called the Rackelhanen, made entirely from poly. I'm going to try some for the Yellow Sallies. It's an interesting tie, uses chopped up poly for the body, and short lengths of poly yarn for the wing.

sb

Stonefly
02-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm looking for some bulk skeins of poly yarn in colors that aren't found in the usual tying supplier listings, so far with no luck. I've seen it ref'd to as "craft yarn," used for macrame plant hangers I think. Anyone have a suggestion where/what to look for?

sb

buckeyetrouter
02-04-2007, 01:43 PM
if you have any friends that own carpet shops.....that is a good source for short pcs....they actually have carpet from p.e.t. that is made from recycled pop bottles and such....I have picked up serveral sample boards from the longer loop and the boards usually have small samples of each color available. I know you can't use it for all applications, but it works great for some.......

buckeyetrouter

appalachian angler
02-13-2007, 11:27 AM
If you want a lifetime supply, check out the rope in a Home Improvement store. Make sure it says Polypropelyne cord on the label. Just unfurl the individual strands and pick out with bodkin then tie down your wing piece after you cut to size. As for "antron" or "Z-lon", I believe these are trade names and the material is clsoer to nylon than anything else...it will not float without some sort of treatment.

AA

billyspey
02-15-2007, 09:17 PM
google: bonnie braid all colors and and makes good strike indicators 4mm size

rainshaker
02-16-2007, 03:27 AM
Check out a product called:

"Aunt Lydia's rug yarn" I don't know how many colors they make but it's available at most of your hobby / Craft supply stores. I've also heard it referred to as "Sparkle Yarn." You can buy a lifetime supply for $0.99

DrewDelashmit
02-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Be careful, I would not use sparkle yarn for dry flies. It is not a polypropelene. It is very useful for subsurface flies, I use it all the time when tying permit crab flies, but it is an entirely different material that doesn't inhibit sinking. Very useful stuff. I have also found that the yarn sold in craft stores tends to be limper and does not have the shimmer of the stuff sold in fly shops.

Stonefly
02-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I believe Aunt Lydia's is used for the veil on a LaFontaine caddis pupa.

sb

rainshaker
02-17-2007, 10:17 PM
As for "antron" or "Z-lon", I believe these are trade names and the material is clsoer to nylon than anything else...it will not float without some sort of treatment.

That's a good point, AA. I believe the good people at LRO would be willing to sell you a number of different flotant formulas as well as some good yarn.

I should have clarified in my earlier post that Aunt Lydia's is best for bodies on certain fly patterns. I used Aunt Lydia's rug yarn and a dubbing twister for the body on this version of the Serendipity. Of course this has nothing to do with the posts on parachute flies, but for the general yarn discussion....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/spencer73/serendipity.jpg