PDA

View Full Version : Preference of Leader to Flyline connection

DryFly1
10-25-2006, 01:15 AM
I have my own prejudice, but wanted to see what the majority prefers....

buckeyetrouter
10-25-2006, 05:21 AM
gotta admit, I have not learned many knots and the loop is simple and quick......

curious as to how many people use tippet vs straight leader...

buckeyetrouter

DryFly1
10-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Buckeyetrouter,
I don't know anyone who uses strictly "straight leader" vs. "tippet to leader", but when I close this poll I will start a new poll to find out how many people like this method? This could potentially become a very expensive habit....

kytroutman
10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
When fishing in the Smokies, I normally use a 9ft, 4x leader and depending on the water, will tie on a length of 5x or 6x tippet material when the situation requires it.

Kytroutbum
10-25-2006, 12:03 PM
I make my own loops pulling the core of the fly line back through itself, supergluing with zap a gap and then whip finishing it. (Overkill probably :)) I perfer a 7 1/2 foot leader with a long tippet mostly, and only go to a 9 ft. in low water situations at lower elevations.
Randy Sale

DryFly1
10-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Some very interesting line/tippet/leader ideas. *I am kinda old school and prefer the nail knot, clinch knot and perfection loop in my setup. I guess you could call me a "knot head" as I love to tie knots. * *For me, the Nail Knot is very neat,small (with practice a quick tie)and I find that it gives me a better presentation. *I typically use on average a 7 1/2' leader and shoulder width of tippet 5x and, like Kytroutbum, 9' in low water conditions or bigger streams.

Question? (For those who are not knot savvy) If you like the loop and you break your *flyline loop on the stream(and don't know how to tie knots), then what do you do?(besides cuss that you broke it and lost your fly)! *

* Since we are discussing it here, will not do the other poll.... * straight leader/tippet to leader

wndeagle
10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
i've been using the little braided loops from orvis, that push on and tighten like a 'chinese finger puzzle'. i like them because there are no knots, and they seem to get through the eyes of the rod with less hang up.

Griff
10-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Question? (For those who are not knot savvy) If you like the loop and you break your *flyline loop on the stream(and don't know how to tie knots), then what do you do?(besides cuss that you broke it and lost your fly)! *

* Since we are discussing it here, will not do the other poll.... * straight tippet/tippet to leader

That's why I carry a nail-knot tool in my vest.......somewhere ;D

I like to use Frog-Hair 9ft 6X or 5X leaders with added frog-hair tippet as neeed.

Griff
10-25-2006, 01:03 PM
i've been using the little braided loops from orvis, that push on and tighten like a 'chinese finger puzzle'. *i like them because there are no knots, and they seem to get through the eyes of the rod with less hang up.

I do not like these add-on loops. I tried them once and just did not have the confidence that they woud stay on.

kytroutman
10-25-2006, 01:14 PM
I am the same way Griff. I even tried the ones you secure by heating with a lighter but had one come apart, with a fish on.

Waterborn
10-25-2006, 03:21 PM
I keep going back to nail knot after a bout with loops connections for leader to fly line, seems more streamlined to me...in the smokies I like a 7'5" 5x leader with a double surgeon connected 6x about 2 or three feet...tailwaters a 9ft 5x leader with couple feet 6x and add 7x if needed...

wndeagle
10-25-2006, 03:31 PM
regarding the add on loops, i bought an orvis cfg 1 (2 wt reel) about 9 years ago, with a double taper line. it came with the braided loop factory installed. i was able to use that original loop until a couple of months ago when i decided to turn the fly line around. i nail knoted a butt loop to the 'new' end of the fly line, but i didn't like the way it hung up in the rod guides. so i ordered a pack of the braided add ons, (i think they were 5 for about $5). maybe i'll get lucky and get another nine years out of this one.

russ
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
I have a 6" piece of 30 pound test mono tied to the end of my fly line with a nail knot. *The other end of the mono has a perfection loop in it. *I connect my leader to the mono with another perfection loop connection. *i also use 7.5' 5x tapered leader and will add some 5x tippet to that once i have changed flies a few times. *

Troutman
10-25-2006, 04:51 PM
I have tried slip-on loop connections but after losing an entire leader with a fish on before, I learned how to tie nail knots. I don't like the hinge effect with loop to loop connections so I nail knot with about 8-10" of red Amnesia stiff leader on the end of my fly line. I tie my own leaders with Brown Maxima at 7.5ft, tapered to 3X. I add Froghair or Orvis tippet. This is attached with a bloodknot to the Amnesia. I can repair the leader quickly onstream and the Amnesia works well as a strike indicator. I get a little satisfaction from using my own leaders much like catching fish with your own hand tied flies.
Troutman

FRW
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
I have never mastered the nail knot(one successful tie in many attempts), don't like the slip on loops though I have used them. I have found that the little plastic bullits work pretty well though it is not very traditional. Usually I use a surgeon's knot or a double uni. The SK is easy for me to tie on the water and both seem to go through the guides well.

wndeagle
10-25-2006, 06:10 PM
interesting to hear that the slip on loops have come off for some of you. i'd be pretty mad if that ever happened. i have about one inch of fly line running up into the hollow braid, and a little red tube slides down to cover the frays at the flyline end of the loop, (i added a drop of superglue here), the red makes a nice indicator. when i test the connection, the braided loop appears to do what it is supposed to, i.e. get tighter around the flyline with tension. i will say that it took me awhile to figure out how to compress the hollow braid and inchworm the flyline into it.

MTN_TRT
10-26-2006, 09:24 AM
While we are talking about leaders, what kind of leaders do you all use? Particuarly this fall Ive found that the RIO leaders do well w/ dry flies ( I havent fished any nymphs this fall). The subtle butt section and it doesnt have much belly to either. The SA leaders I like for nymph fishing, however, they seem to have a thick butt and stong belly. Makes it easy to turn nymph rigs over. What are some thoughts on this?

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

arkansastraveler
10-26-2006, 10:49 AM
i've been using the little braided loops from orvis, that push on and tighten like a 'chinese finger puzzle'. *i like them because there are no knots, and they seem to get through the eyes of the rod with less hang up.

I use these too, with a bit of zap-a-gap. I like a 7 1/2 foot and 9 foot braided leader (also from orvis). They have a nice little loop on the end that makes it real handy for putting whatever size tippet I want on.

wndeagle
10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
glad to hear i'm not the only one using the braided loop. for leader and tippet, i've been using the orvis mirage flourocarbon products. for drys and streamers, it's usually a 7 1/2' 5X with a single surgeon's loop on both ends, and a 6X or 7X tippet with a double surgeon's loop and a palomar knot to the fly. if i'm free drifting nymphs, i use about 5-6 ft. of 5X tippet for a leader with single surgeon's and 6X tippet.

softhackle
10-27-2006, 09:50 PM
I prefer to nail knot a piece of 20 lb test to the end of my line, coat it with super glue and then tie a permanent loop on the other end and make a loop to loop connection with the leader. For smaller fish and lighter rods one of those Chinese finger trap type loop conectors with the heat shrink sleeve will work just fine. The only problem with those is that eventually they give out.

Kingstonian
10-29-2006, 10:26 AM
I like the way the braided loops pass though the rod guides better than a knot. *I have had a couple of the braided loops fail where the loop is made and the material woven back on itself. *The loop itself opened up, but the material has never slipped on me. *Still, a catastrophic failure that cost me a fish once and a team of flies once. *On the advice of someone at another website, I added some pliobond to the part of the loop where the two ends tie together. *I don't know if that fixes it, but I haven't had a failure since.

Duggie
10-29-2006, 11:07 AM
I've completely coverted to using the "speed" nail knot, if you know to tie a uni knot your good to go, have not had any problems with this knot at all.

snaildarter
10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
I use Orvis lines with the loop built in. But I've still got some lines that I have to use something else. Nail knots are good, but are a pain for me to tie. But I actually like the Orvis finger-puzzle type, now that I've put a few on (I did lose an entire leader to one a few years ago...). What I've done differently than most other people is that once I 've got the finger-puzzle on, and I've tested it for tightness, I then wrap the sheath with 6x flourocarbon and tie it off. It's pretty, it's smooth, it's tough, and it works well. I'll say that the biggest problem with any type of connection is that no one bothers to check their condition before you go fishing.

Josh