PDA

View Full Version : Winston BIIX?

mtnman2888
10-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I am looking into getting one of these rods here within the next month or so, a BIIX 3 weight probably about 8 1/2'. I have casted one and i loved it, it felt really natural and extremely lightweight. Was wondering if anyone has played around with the 3 weight and what you thought of it. I just wonder if it is strong enough to do some light nymphing. It will be used for small stream fishing for wild fish and i will mostly use dry flies, but occasionally i will use a dropper and the rod has to be strong enough to do that, as well as fishing with two nymphs. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has it and what they thought of it. Thanks

Giantfish
10-27-2006, 09:06 PM
I used my dads once and I loved it too. ;D I think it will do well in small streams because it is lightwighet. In small streams you just flick it into the water and that rod will be well. dry flys would be perfect for it :) but the dropper you'll have to wait for another reply on that one. :( Thats all I know.

Giantfish

mtnman2888
10-29-2006, 02:32 PM
I also could use some advice on a good, lightweight reel to match up with the rod if anyone knows of anything. This rod is extremely light and i don't want a heavy reel on there, would make it feel awkward.......

Thanks again!!

RFowler
10-29-2006, 06:35 PM
My two choices for that rod would be the Orvis BBS or the Lamson Litespeed. The litespeed is a large arbor so it edges out the BBS for my uses. The BBS is a good bit less money, though.

Griff
10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
I would go with the Orvis BBS II for that rod. I bought one recenly for my new 3 wt and abosultely love it!! Very smooth and light.

mtnman2888
10-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Do y'all have the 3 weight rod? What do you think of it??

I looked at the lamson litespeed and it's still heavier than the rod by about half an ounce. I don't know much about matching up a rod and reel based on weight, is there any tips or advice on it?? Do you want something that's at least lighter than the rod or what? I also looked at a ross evolution and it weighs slightly more than the lamson, but not much. Just don't really know the guidelines for matching up a rod and reel. Thanks for all the input by the way!

Griff
10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't have the Winston BIIX that you are looking at, I built my 3 wt but it is very light. I think you would be hard pressed to find a reel that is lighter than the rod anyway. You just need a reel that balances well with the rod. For a light rod you will need a lighter reel. I would take your new rod to LRO and try on a few reels, that's what I did anyway.

buckeyetrouter
10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
hey mtnman.....I use a 3wt GLoomis and put a lower end Loomis Adventure 3 on it....you will love this weight in the park.....LRO has many nice reels that are machined bar stock and will give you the light weight that you want, I agree with Griff.....take your rod to LRO and you can try out a multitude of reels to get that fit you are looking for.....I don't reqret going with a $99 reel with my current set up, but I believe that my next set up will be a bit of an indulgence ( you can do that once the kids are out of school and on thier own...lol...), pluse I wasn't sure about the 3wt when I picked that unit up, but now I swear by the lighter equipment for the park....

buckeyetrouter

Giantfish
10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey, what I sugest is to find someone that does have or go to the shop and ask if you can test the different waits. I did it when I went to a shop to see if the rod my dad got me would do good for me. So test out if you can the rods and reels before buying. I hope I'm not telling you this to late :(. Hope you catch a giant fish with what ever you get.

Giantfish

mtnman2888
10-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I would love to go to LRO and try some different reels out! Unfortunately, i live about 4 hours away in nc, haha. I have looked up some online and found several different ones that i like, such as the lamson litespeed, ross evolution, and nautilus featherweight. All weigh in at under 4 oz., while the rod is a tick under 3 oz.

Paula Begley
10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Mtnman2888

You have obviously given this alot of thought, as well you should...this will be a super sweet small stream rod and reel outfit! Your reel will most likely always weigh more than the blank weight since you will add backing and line in addition to the weight of the reel itself.

We don't currently have the 3 weight Boron II in stock, but we will be happy to get it in. That way, we can take your reel choices and be able to tell you which one feels the best with it. Any of the reels you have mentioned would be good matches with the Winston. We would be happy to help you further. Just give me a call...our toll free number is 877/448-3474.

Paula

mtnman2888
10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Anyone have any experience with the nautilus reels? I really, really like the nautilus featherweight, it looks fantastic. I think they are mainly a saltwater reel company but it looks like a really quality product and was the official reel of the usa fly fishing team!

ttas67
11-17-2006, 08:44 PM
reel? If I had the money, I would buy a hardy featherweight or whatever its called, just because I think its cool. I have a 2 weight superfine matched with an orvis cfo reel. I also own an orvis bbs reel. its a solid reel, but if you're going to drop 600 on a rod, I'd highly recommend the cfo. I LOVE this reel and have considered replacing some of my others with it. it sounds amazing when a fish is pulling line off it. I think the quality of the cfo far surpasses the relatively low 200 price.

appalachian angler
11-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I'll second the CFO. Super light weight and the click sounds is so sweet that it will haunt you and the fish the rest of your days. If you can find a CFO II or III in the gray spring and pawl version such as on E-bay, get you one. They are no longer made (only disc now) and they were built by Hardy Bros. in England! Very sweet reel for a 3wt. I've got a CFO IV that i use on my 5wt rods. It is lighter than anyother reel 1/4" dia. smaller, and all of the extra backing makes it like a large arbor reel!!!

AA

appalachian angler
11-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Oh yeah, before you commit 600 clams for the BIIx 3wt, if you haven't already, cast an 8' 4wt Orvis Superfine "tightloop" when considering a mountain stream rod. This rod comes in a 4pc. and since the new Superfines are out, it can be had for something like $250. They are super light like the Winstons but will have a little slower action...Not that this is a bad thing ::)

AA

Byron Begley
11-19-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm a Winston LT 5pc guy myself but I like the Boron IIX. Winston is coming out with their new Boron IIt Trout Rods. Here's what they say: "With this series, we have moved our proven second generation boron in a whole new direction, with extraordinarily lightweight rods that combine the powerful, high responsive characterists of Boron II with the legendary smoothness and delicacy of our more traditional rods". Sounds like a Winston brochure doesn't it?

They are available in: 7' 6" 3 weight that weighs 2 ounces, 8' 3 weight that weighs 2 1/8 oz.,
8' 4 weight weighs 2 1/4 oz, 8' 6" 4 weight weighs 2 1/2 oz, 9' 4 weight weighs 2 1/2 oz.,
8' 6" 5 weight weighs 2 1/2 oz and a 9' 5 weight that weighs 2 5/8 oz. These rods are all
4-piece with a burled box elder insert nickel silver uplock reel seat. They will sell for $625.
We should have them in the shop by mid December. Something else to think about. I've seen them. They're sweet!

Byron