PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Fishing

doghaircaddis
10-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Anyone else plan on heading out this weekend? I'm trying to decide if I should go to the park to fish tomorrow. Do you think the streams will be fishable with all this rain we're getting? Maybe I'll just stick to the Clinch tomorrow afternoon. I haven't been in 2 weeks and I'm eager to hit the water somewhere.

DryFly1
10-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Not going this weekend, but according to Byron(Fishing Report) the water is warmer and fishing should be better this weekend. *As long as it isn't a gully-washer.....If it is a slow steady rain your prospects most likely will be great.. * Good luck..
DryFly1

David Knapp
10-27-2006, 10:07 PM
If I could, I would definately be heading to the park tomorrow although I'm not sure what these last storms are going to do to the streams. Check the stream data link on the fishing report and go if the river isn't blown out. If the streams are fishable, the fishing should be very good tomorrow...

doghaircaddis
10-28-2006, 08:53 AM
i just checked the 24 hr precip map, and it looks like the nc side of the park received no more than .25". so, im heading out. ill let you know how things go when i get back into town.

doghaircaddis
10-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I left Knoxville this morning with plans on fishing Bradley Fork. I was pretty disappointed as I drove through the park. All of the streams along 441 were looking too high. I arrived at Bradley Fork and it was not fishable. I spoke to the ranger at the Smokemont Campground, and he said there were a few other fishermen that came in. They had decided on camping and trying the waters tomorrow. I was pretty bummed and decided to check-out some of the other streams in the area. No way was I going to drive right back home. After driving around for almost an hour, I found a remote stream that appeared to be in good shape. I fished this stream for probably about a mile. There was no trail running alongside it, and I didn't see anyone for the 5 hours I fished. Just the way I like it. The fishing was on fire! I used a #16 BHPT and must have caught around 25 fish. The strange thing was that most of the fish I was catching were 7-10" browns. Up until today I had never caught a brownie in the park. I even managed to catch a few very small brookies today. This was the 3rd time I have fished in the park...definitely my best outing yet.

Oh yeah, I walked up on a large black bear that was frolicking around in the stream on my way back down. He was probably about 15 yards in front of me. When I came upon him, he took off and sprinted up the bank. There wasn't any confrontation at all, he just took off. Yep, today was a good day.

doghaircaddis
10-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Here are a couple pics of the stream I fished today. Also, a pic of my first brownie from the park.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/swingbatta/stream.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/swingbatta/stream2.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/swingbatta/brownie.jpg

David Knapp
10-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Great pics! I'm glad your day turned out well. Those fish sure are hungry this time of year and are tons of fun to catch.

DryFly1
10-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the report and pics,

Absolutely nothing better than a great day on a mountain stream!

DryFly1

buckeyetrouter
10-29-2006, 09:55 AM
hey DHC......when you hit those smaller areas....what are you targeting as far as water, and what methods are you using.....
I am trying to learn as much as possible on fishing below the surface......

thanks...
buckeyetrouter

Byron Begley
10-29-2006, 12:19 PM
doghaircaddis

Do you mind if I use those two beautiful stream shots on the top of the message board? I rotate the photos every day and I'm always looking for good photos. If you don't mind, just e-mail them to me in high resolution. As you can see at the top of this page I have to crop them to a square. Thanks.

Byron

doghaircaddis
10-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Byron, A PM has been sent with the photos. It would be an honor if I saw them on the page.

Buckeye,

I myself am new to fly fishing. This is really the first successful trip that I have had in the park using nymphs. So, I really don't know if I am in a position to give tips. However, I can tell you more on how I fished yesterday and some of my observations. These are things that you probably already know or have realized.

1.) Stealth - I think that my biggest mistake in the past was that I would get excited and want to hurry up the stream. Yesterday, I slowed down a lot. I was quiet while wading and tried my best to stay hidden, whether in the shadows or in a crouched position. I think this is sometimes underestimated.

2.) Pocket water is where most of my fish were caught. I usually only give one cast to these areas. I now have learned to pay more attention to these areas in the stream.

3.) I used a strike indicator (yarn type). This made it so much easier to detect strikes. I hadn't been using these in the past on smaller streams. It helped a lot.

And one last thing. I had a lot of confidence yesterday. Every hole I came to, I was confident that fish were holding. I think it's easy sometimes, especially when you are having a slow day, to give up on areas too soon. Patience is virtue when it comes to fly fishing. Yesterday I learned a lot about that, catching fish not on the first one or two casts but the 10th or 11th.

It's such a beautiful day today. They are cutting the gens at noon on the Clinch, so I'm heading up. Hopefully another day of great fishing!

Good luck!

Byron Begley
10-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Doghaircaddis,

Hit the refresh button. One of your photos is now on the banner. Thanks.

Byron