PDA

View Full Version : This Weekend

rainshaker
10-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Heading up to the park on early Friday...Can somebody tell me what they're eating?

read the fishing report, #8 nymphs Is this correct?

Nymph patterns vary right now. Sometimes they'll hit big ones #8 or they only want small #18. Patterns to try would be Tellico, Prince, Copper John or Pheasant Tail.

I read another source that called for size 6 nymph patterns for the Smokies, I'm no expert but that just seems too big. I know, 'Big fish eat big flies' but in this case we're talking about REALLY BIG BUGS!

:o SCARY! *:o

I've had the most succes fishing size 16 drys, can someone explain this giant nymph phenomenon to me?

Thanks in advance,

DryFly1
10-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Hey Rainshaker,

I assume that you also read the"suggested flies" tab.

I have never been fishing in the smokies where one of these didn't work..

* Can't help you on the "big bugs" I don't carry a telephone pole, and prefer top water action, and smaller nymph patterns. Good luck this weekend, should be great fishing....

rainshaker
10-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the tips...

I tied a size 4 streamer once; but that was for a groom's wedding cake.

:)

scflyfisher
10-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Rainshaker,

Regardless of the time of year I fish and where I'm at, I always make sure I have some big flies such as Helgramites or some big stone fly patterns. I'm talkin even #6 type stuff. The type of stuff when I was just learning that I would look at and say, " that's not gonna catch anything ". This past Labor Day on east prong of little river I was catching small fish on dries and green weenies. At the end of my last day I tossed a gigantic helgramite into about a 4 foot deep run, saw the line twitch, gave the most pathetic hook set ever, pulled a rainbow up to the surface about 14-15" long and then the fish threw the hook. While these are known as "big fish flies", you will be suprised sometimes at the size of fish that will eat them. I have caught plenty if 8-10" fish on big flies. I personally like fishing these type of flies b/c they don't require lots of extra weigt to get them down deep. I feel like that allows me to have better feel of the fly trhough the line when I don't have a bunch of shot added to it. This might just be a personal preference thing for me, but I feel it helps.

Big Ugly Flies + Deep Water = Hold on tight!!!

SC

DryFly1
10-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey Rainshaker,

Like the wedding cake story! Will have to keep that one in mind...

Give us a post fishing update....
DryFly1

rainshaker
10-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Will do...

Once again, I appreciate the good advice. Before I head out, I'll grab my Grandad's old 9 weight with the sinking line.

Seriously, though I will try one of the larger bugs just to see what happens. Hopefully, I'll be schock 'n awed.

Fish on!

russ
10-31-2006, 06:15 PM
I've fished with some stonefly nymphs that were so big that i thought i'd either scare a fish too death and he'd float to the top or i might get lucky and crash into one as the nymph floated by. Either way i was bound to have a fish ;D