PDA

View Full Version : Huge Brookie

Griff
11-05-2006, 09:00 PM
I didn't know Brook trout got this big :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/PokerGriff/brookie.jpg

Giantfish
11-05-2006, 10:20 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o. Ive never caught a fish that big. Amazing thanks for the pic.

Giantfish

DryFly1
11-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey Griff,

Got any information on this catch. Wt,length,where caught?

Did a little search and found this.
(The largest brook trout on record, caught on Ontario's Nipigon River, weighed 14.5 pounds.) ...I believe it was in 1916!!!

Very nice fish... DryFly1

Griff
11-06-2006, 01:54 AM
I think it was caught up in Manitoba, I don't know anything else about it though.

tn hound
11-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Hey Griff,

Got any information on this catch. *Wt,length,where caught?

Did a little search and found this.
(The largest brook trout on record, caught on Ontario's Nipigon River, weighed 14.5 pounds.) ...I believe it was in 1916!!!

Very nice fish... * *DryFly1

The next closest on any of the line class records is around 7 pounds, i know a guy who holds one of th records and he says that 14 pounder is actually a cross between a lake trout and a brook trout (it has a name), but no one can prove it now
That might be what that guy is holding

DryFly1
11-06-2006, 03:49 PM
tn hound,

Did a little more investigating and found out there was a very heated debate about the authenticity of this catch. I believe that it was caught by a physician in 1916 and rumors flourished shortly after that it was "a fishing tale!" in regards to actual size. I quess we will never know for sure.

geerona
11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I have been told, by a UP Michigan resident, that a strain of Brook Trout inhabit the waters of lake superior that are known as "Coasters". These fish, whether a true Brook Trout or a cross with lake trout, grow to quite large sizes in comaprison to all the Brookies I have caught in the UP. I have never caught one (Coaster) nor have I seen one.

As has been stated, we will never know for sure. I just wish I was the guy in the picture holding it!

regards, gary <*))))><

Griff
11-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I actually caught this brookie high up on lynn camp prong. I then used photo shop to make it look like some old guy caught it in a lake from a boat. I didn't want everyone to know but I just couldn't take the lies anymore...

Griff
11-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Here is a link to the actual story, it has just been confirmed as a Manitoba record.

http://www.manitobaanglers.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=19567.html#19567

Jswitow
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
What a pig! That fish must have weighed 12 lb. maybe more as thick as it is! What beautiful spawning colors as well!
Thanks for the posting.