PDA

View Full Version : Damascus, VA

MTN_TRT
11-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I have noticed a change in my local stream. Last season where I had to beat the brush down to get in the stream, there is now a very nice 4ft wide path.
Last season when I could be the only one peering off trestles to look for those big resident trout, I have people ask exactly what Im looking for.
Last season where I occasionally stumbled upon the solitary angler, I now meet many. What is so wierd about these guys(and two or three girls)? None of them are from my area. All are out of state fishermen, coming to my town to fish my local mountain stream.
Now I am wondering if it is just an increase in popularity of the sport or if the stream is attracting more people. Ive seen the WHITE TOP LAURAL written about in a few magazines, but I never dreamed that this many people would come for it.
So, what do yall think: increase in sport or is it just in the water?

Oh PS has anyone ever heard of (or fished) the WhiteTop Laural.?

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

kytroutman
11-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I have fished the lower portion but I have never been up to the Little White Top section. I personally don't think there is that much of an increase in the fishing population, it's just this stream has gotten a lot more press and the local outfitters around Abingdon also advertise it alot. I used to also travel to the Lexington area but the overcrowding has kept me away the last couple of years. White Top is a nice stream but I am afraid its proximity to the roadways and parking are the reason for the crowds.

MTN_TRT
11-10-2006, 09:44 AM
kytroutman,
have you ever fished the higher streams around here? sometimes i feel like im the only one in the world :) !

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

kytroutman
11-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes, from Roanoke area to Lynchburg area to what is accessible in the Jefferson National Forest. My knees can't always handle the long hikes, especially with a backpack of gear. The streams are very solitary and while the size of the fish vary, the fishing is usually pretty good. To me, the western and southwestern part of Virginia are some of the prettiest places in the world and right now, not over-fished nor congested. I personally hope it stays that way.

Byron Begley
11-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I've fished it a few times. First time about 20 years ago. I'm hearing a lot more people talking about the Virginia Creeper Trail. They are finding out about the bicycle opportunities and everyone I talk to fly fishes so maybe that's the reason.

Byron

MTN_TRT
11-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah the Creeper Trail is bringing alot more attention to Damascus and surrounding communities. Talked to serveral fishermen this fall and last spring visiting the stream for the first time. But this is weird in that, I started fishing Whitetop Laural 3 or 4 yrs ago and since then Ive seen (particuarly this fall) an increase in the number and size of the native fish population. This is in the special reg. area too, they dont stock that portion. Today, in fact, I caught the first native brown trout ever on the Laural. I guess now I understand how some the local Smokies fishermen feel, but these guys here are nice. No more trash or anything like that- im always happy to see things like that!

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"