PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

TNJeff
11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Folks,
I found this board while doing a search on the Harpeth River. Looks like a good one. My name's Jeff Smith and I live in Nashville TN. I don't have much fishing experience, but this past summer my 8 year old has been crazy about it so we've been fishing together alot. Turns out I'm crazy about it too!

He wants to catch a trout real bad (me too), and I see where the pond in Shelby park is going to be stocked soon. I was thinking size 10-12 yellow and olive bead head wooly buggers would good, but I'm not real sure.

Anyway, thanks for having me, look forward to yakking with you.

Jeff

David Knapp
11-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Welcome aboard and to the addiction for fly fishing! It will only intensify the more you go fishin'!!! ;D Those wooly buggers should do the trick for the stocked trout. I would probably try a copper john if the buggers didn't work very well...

appalachian angler
11-17-2006, 08:01 AM
For stocked trout ponds in winter I have had best luck with a white wooley bugger with a silver body (silver embroidery floss) in a size 10. This fly slays them in the pond at Cumberland Mountain state park! hint hint Plateau Angler.

BTW, welcome to the board and to the benign addiction that is flyfishing...nice that you have an eager young partner!

AA

David Knapp
11-17-2006, 10:01 AM
For stocked trout ponds in winter I have had best luck with a white wooley bugger with a silver body (silver embroidery floss) in a size 10. This fly slays them in the pond at Cumberland Mountain state park! hint hint Plateau Angler.

Now thats a lead that I'm going to have to follow up on. ;D I've fished there a few times but can't say I've slayed 'em.

TNJeff
11-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how we do!